Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! blo**y Leo is stressing me out.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  22:12:05  Show Profile
Rover is losing weight, his tail was getting thinner so i stated weighing him 2/12/08 46g now down to 41g (i know 5g is not much but it's still 10% of his bodyweight)- been tempting him all i can with wax worms, mealies, and baby locusts but he's not interested. Trying to put off a vet trip as long as i can as he wont eat for weeks after being moved (learnt my lesson when he went in for boarding in the summer) any ideas? Felix (who he lives with) is fine. No weight loss and pooing a plenty. Other than the weight loss he has no other symptoms and is shedding fine and eating that as far as i know. I was thinking about separating them but i'm worried that may stress him more.

Any ideas? any more info needed i've forgotten to say just ask.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2008 :  13:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Hi Tizzy - Check the temps? could be that he's not hot enough and doesn't want to eat because hew won't be able to digest. the other leo could be hogging the hot spaces? Give it a try and keep weighing. Have you tried crickets as well? some times the fast movement can cause a feeding response.

Don't have leos myself, but snakes and the toads can be similar if they are too cold. Hope this helps... maybe dazb or someone with leos will be able to help more.

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2008 :  20:55:08  Show Profile
hi there,

same as above really.

wot are the temps?
wot size viv is it?
wot sex are they? (male and male is bad...)

i would initially seperate them. one my be bullying the other and not letting him feed. plus if it is a illness of some sort you want him in quarantine so it does not effect the other.

Edited by - dazb on 13/12/2008 20:56:04
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2008 :  21:13:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Felix and Rover sound male.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2008 :  21:20:39  Show Profile
thats wot i was thinking BE...

it is a big no no to have 2 males in the same viv, as this can lead to bullying and often fighting (sometimes to the death)...

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  19:07:56  Show Profile
Sorry guys should said, Felix is a Girl, Rover is a boy. (sexed by a pro who i very much trust with my Reps) The viv is 2'8" X 1'8" Hot end sits at around 86 cool end around 80. They have a wet box of moss plus 2 other hides at each end but generally curl up together. They always have baby locusts in the viv (with a lump of apple to stop them nipping) and mealies available in a high sided dish so i dont think bullying is an issue (they've been together since the 12/08/08) If anything Felix is the shy one.

Cheers Lewy, I will pick up some crickets tomorrow and give them a try however they don't normally eat em thats why i moved over to hoppers.

Dazb - I have a starter tank and little heatmat that one of the corns came in so sepearating them isn't a problem but i don't want to stress them out anymore. If i do split them up who should i move?

(Sorry about the gender confusion, i'm a bit daft like that. I Have a daughter called Ronnie and used to have a female cat called Roger)

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2008 :  15:48:41  Show Profile
since rover is the boy and losing weight im not sure...
if it was the girl i would have said she was probably getting pestered to mate but now im not so sure.

i would definately take the sick one out of the viv and put it in its own, one cos it is obviously not liking it in that viv for wotever reason and it might feel better on its own in a viv it can mark as its own, also cos the other one is doing ok so dont upset her by moving her.

how old are they?

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2008 :  17:41:01  Show Profile
Weird isn't it? I've been trying to get advice from a few people but everyone is pretty stumped, I'm told the vet could try a blood test but these are often pretty useless and the shock of test could make him drop his tail or even croak it.

Not 100% sure how old either one is really but we think they are just over a year. Rover was re-homed to me by some teenagers parents when he lost interest and stopped looking after him. Then he went in for bording when i was on holiday and was introduced to felix for me by the guy in the shop. They got on fine so i bought her. They are the same size and neiter has grown much since i got them. They are pratty small for leos but have had no problems at all. They are even litter trained and only poo on the paper in the corner of their viv.

I'm thinking it's a case of wait and see to be honest. I'm going to put Rover in the starter viv tonight once the kids are in bed and it's a bit quieter and he's a bit more awake.

Cheers for the help, any other ideas gratefully recieved.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2008 :  18:33:09  Show Profile
no problems...

keep us posted...

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2008 :  20:49:13  Show Profile
Awwww ... hope you soon find out what's wrong or he starts eating again... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  18:55:08  Show Profile
Good news on this, (i did seperate the leo's but the poorly one was really unhappy trying to get out hunting round the viv looking for his girl so i put them back togather again) Then today noticed his tail was lookin plumper so i stuck him back on the scales - 45g. Well happy now! He's been out exploring too coz i did a full clean out and moved everything around and generally looks really well. No idea what it was or what snapped him out of it though.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  15:01:51  Show Profile
thats good to hear. may have just been a bit of man flu. just fatten him up now just in case of a relapse...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  22:44:56  Show Profile
wats the best size viv for a single leo. coz no care sheets ever say the same. but they all point around sumit between 24-36 inches. is that right.
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  23:23:54  Show Profile
Like you said your gonna get a differant answer for every peson or website you ask, I'd say a 2ft would be ok but as with most animals bigger is better so 3ft if you have the space. If your putting a baby in a 3ft be sure to fill it with hides and fake plants and stuff too. Alot of people start with baby leos in a faunarium but i dont rate them long term as no matter what the books say leos do like to climb. Great as a starter though and then a handy place to put you leo when your cleaning the viv too once it is is a bigger viv.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  11:24:10  Show Profile
Thanx Tizzy. Only 12 quid to go now :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page