New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  11:09:57  Show Profile
Bugger Bugger Bugger.

Ultimate stupidity last night. I was lifting a hide out of Esme and Gytha's enclosure when I slipped and dropped it right next to Esme. Gytha was fine (she is so rediculously chilled out!) but Esme freaked a little and dropped her tail .

I've isolated her in her own private tank - put kitchen roll as bedding, have a larger dish of calcium and am feeding her extra. She seemed fine within a couple of minutes and was happily pottering about her new tank last night. Is there anything else I can do while her tail regrows? I know it won't be the same as the old tail, but I'd like to give her the best care I can despite my carelessness last night! I was going to move Gytha into a smaller tank while she is alone as the one she is in is a bit huge by herself.. she seems a bit lonely though ... do you think it would help to have them next to eachother so they can still see eachother?

Yeah, yeah, I know reptiles aren't 'people' and as such don't have 'people-feelings' but Gytha is unused to isolation and doesn't seem to appreciate it

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  11:54:06  Show Profile
i dont really know as i havent had any dealings with dropped tails...

however i woluld keep her seperate and on kitchen roll (as you are doing) until it has healed a bit and is not a open wound to help keep it clean and not infected. their tail will grow back and look different but it is not a problem for the leo...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2008 :  17:44:39  Show Profile
She's doing really well actually and I had a bit if a learning curve! It turns out she had been nibbling the wood chips I had her on, but seems to have passed them all safely and is now completely ravenous whenever we feed her! So I'm kinda glad it happened in a way otherwise she could have had some nasty impaction issues. The other one seems fine and wasn't eating the chips but is a wee bit lonely on her own. I can't wait to put them back in together. Her tail is healing up nicely and almost fully closed, no signs of infection etc so hopefully santa will bring me a nicely sized vivarium to put them in!

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2008 :  20:21:01  Show Profile
glad to hear everything is going ok...

wot you keeping the leo's on now...???

Edited by - dazb on 25/11/2008 20:21:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2008 :  18:03:31  Show Profile
Just kitchen paper - I've been lucky and found a few bits of slate around recently so when all is healed and good I'll get some more and put them on that. I can't believe how fast the wee things grow! I really need to get some digital kitchen scales to weigh them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000