Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  21:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
As our snakes have been growing and growing lately, and we are soon to get our Two Viv Stack for the bigger two. I thought I would add a step by step guide for making low cost hide, which are both tough and easy to clean.

Okay What you will need:

1 bulb pot per hide required... I'm making three medium and one large hide
These are £1.49 - Medium and £1.99 - Large from Wilkos... ohhh they're cheap!:

One Tile Saw (can get these from BandQ... I got mine from £1 land years ago and still haven't got round to finishing the tiling ):

One old box (very useful you'll see why):

One Pencil:

To make your hide:

Use the pencil and draw the desired hide entrance - A Good guide for size for this is to make sure your snake can turn around in the entrance (so two times the width of your snake)
Drawing a smiley face on the bit you don't need somehow will make you feel happy:

Use your tile saw to saw along the guideline you have just drawn, cut in smooth strokes or you may crack the pot, which would be very disappointing, do this over your box and you wont have to hoover up red dust (it gets everywhere):

See what I mean:

Check all the edges are smooth, if there any sharp bits sand with some fine sandpaper.
And there you have it a finished hide:

Now I've just got three more to do

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  21:34:37  Show Profile
Nice guide lewy. Its very easy and cheap. I have just disinfected one of those pots you stick on a wall.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  21:42:53  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
bet kazeralla is happy you put your handy work to good use lol

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  22:03:59  Show Profile
Here are a few more ideas:

This is really simple and just made of a length of roofing batton and a peice of plywood i had left over from making Henry's viv. Dead easy to make, i slapped a few layers of varnish on it afterwards and it looks good with a fake plant drooping over the edges on top (also you can see the snake and it feels secure):

This is the plant pot that goes on a wall:

(again a plant lobbed over the top, i put some substrate in it too because the bottom was cold)

Edit - spelling

Edited by - matty18714 on 11/11/2008 22:05:14
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  22:07:57  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
nice ideas much better than over priced purpose built hides

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  22:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
We had a tortoise pot like yours matty but a tortoise.. but kaz dropped it - Evra loved it but she's too big to fit in it (if it was still in one piece)

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  16:24:17  Show Profile
very good ideas guys, ive used plant pots myself. keeps costs down while they are growing...

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  17:11:18  Show Profile
aww these r cwl :)

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  20:38:51  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
i've made cecil two from papier mache using small lunch boxes as moulds, very easy and very fun, takes me back to primary school days

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  20:59:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cumbrian eejit

i've made cecil two from papier mache using small lunch boxes as moulds, very easy and very fun, takes me back to primary school days

Primary school?! I did that today Sounds like a great idea though. Im definatly gonna do that!

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  21:13:13  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
do you varnish the papier mache once finished???

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  23:03:22  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
i don't, just mix water paint with the glue and then its coloured too!!!

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  17:48:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cumbrian eejit

i don't, just mix water paint with the glue and then its coloured too!!!

lol more genius-ness!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

157 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  17:58:05  Show Profile
non toxic glue and paint im guessin? just 4 reference, i think im gna have a go at the paper mache, sounds pretty fun and you could get loads of different shaped hides :D

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  20:56:11  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
nope, jsut make sure you use pva glue and water based paints, then there's no nasty chemicals and they mix together nice and evenly.

Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2008 :  10:17:53  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
nice ideas lewy and matty wished there was a thread like this when i spent £12 on boo's hide would have saved me a bit of money.

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2008 :  08:42:40  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
And here's the happy ending:

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

113 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2008 :  16:18:41  Show Profile
Good ideas folks. I'm guessing you're all better at looking after snakes than you are plants, what with all the spare plant pots you guys seem to have! :-)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2008 :  16:36:05  Show Profile
How would you go about disinfecting a plant pot from the wall? Or a log or something like that?

--This is a Signature--
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  17:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Well we bought these ones so they've never had plants in, but if you were to get a pot or log out of the garden, at least an hour soaking in disinfectant or boiling water, before baking in the oven for another hour should kill anything nastie living on them

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  18:31:45  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
i just made 1 of these plant pot hides for our python when she moves into a slightly bigger viv

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000