So, uh... Can corns show affection?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  23:44:10  Show Profile
Lol, I haven't been here in a while. xD; Need to come on more often.

But, yes. My snow corn, Ani - he's the sweetest thing ever. xD He's always friendly, and watches me when I'm in my room. If someone else is holding him and he gets worried, he calms right down when I take him back. (I understand they might recognise the smell of a person?)

But, I read up on cornsnakes, and there are several different opinions. Some people say that corns are completely incapable of affection, and can calm down around a particular person because they think of them as the food-giver; some say that corns have a limited emotion capacity, because technically they're 'wild' animals, and will associate a person with safety and food, but that's about it...

Which do you think it is, or do you have a different opinion completely? It was just a bit of a downer, thinking he was being so sweet and then finding out that I might just be automatically attaching human emotion to his actions. xD;

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  00:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Mine give their mice a nice hug when they get them each week, that could be deemed as affectionate.

Seriously though, i've had this discussion with someone in the past and i do believe they can be capable of showing signs of affection.
My snow, Kelloggs, seems to prefer me and my (step)grandaughter to anyone else, to the extent that if he's out and having a wander about he'll seem to seek us out, and then he'll just curl around us and climb etc.
My 'thristic one, Sid, seems to prefer my (step)daughter to anyone, oddly enough when she escapes which used to be alarmingly often, she'd always end up in her room.
My Hypo, Crunchy Nut, doesn't seem to have a favourite person. She just seems to assume that everyone is just a warm-blooded climbing frame.

I do think the feeding part of it comes into the association of snakes and how they are, but it's difficult to judge and make an accurate opinion.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  08:17:45  Show Profile
I would probably guess that they can probably get attached to people. My snake Pandora will only let me handle her. Everytime someone else handles her she makes sure she is headed in my direction. Star is well aloof so its hard to say, as for the others i have Ziggy is quite a nervy type and Jasper...well...a nutter would be best to call is personailty as he strangles defrosted fluffs. I heard soemwhere that royals can show affection, but if anyone can tell me how i would apprecaite it tons.

By the way can i steal your Bleach dvds? lol

Edited by - n/a on 10/11/2008 08:19:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

157 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  11:25:25  Show Profile
i like to think Nia is showing effection all the time :D she even gives me kisses lol, also gives her food a bye bye huge so that could be a common thing haha

but on the serious note she does seem to get a little more edgy and nervous if one of my house mates holds her for a little, not trying everything to get bk to me, but does stretch out in my direction most of the time, however when my OH holds her which isnt often as shes not her much, Nia is fine so maybe it is smething to do with being used to the sent of a person aswell as the food giver

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  12:21:27  Show Profile
I have to diasagree. I don't think snakes are able to show affection at all. It's an alien concept to them. I do think they can recognise a familiar "smell" or situation they perhaps aquaint as being "safe" and are less likely therefore to be aggressive, nervous etc. with certain individuals they are familiar with.
Any other behaviour we see as "affection" is just our false interpretation of their behaviour!
If you want affection then a dog is more suitable as a pet!!

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  20:13:27  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I will get back to you when I have done my wild animal behaviour lecture at Paighton zoo ;)

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  07:46:54  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
tartan always tried to get back to me when someone else was handling her, and she seemed to relax straight away with me,. whereas she would go all skitty with someone else, even if she was jsut on their lap or something!

it's wierd, but i think they get an assosiation of not so much affection, but more a mutual understanding that you're not gonna miond if they bite you, so they don't bother cause it's no fun to them! haha

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  08:25:32  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mancunian

I have to diasagree. I don't think snakes are able to show affection at all. It's an alien concept to them. I do think they can recognise a familiar "smell" or situation they perhaps aquaint as being "safe" and are less likely therefore to be aggressive, nervous etc. with certain individuals they are familiar with.
Any other behaviour we see as "affection" is just our false interpretation of their behaviour!

I agree^^

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  20:34:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sorry guys i'm with mancunian on this one

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  20:41:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mancunian

i agree too, although its nice for kids to think they do as my Daughter thinks Synyster loves her as when she hold him he looks as if hes kissing her nose!!
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  12:57:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Daman

i like to think Nia is showing effection all the time :D she even gives me kisses lol, also gives her food a bye bye huge so that could be a common thing haha

but on the serious note she does seem to get a little more edgy and nervous if one of my house mates holds her for a little, not trying everything to get bk to me, but does stretch out in my direction most of the time, however when my OH holds her which isnt often as shes not her much, Nia is fine so maybe it is smething to do with being used to the sent of a person aswell as the food giver

Its coz she loves me Daman :) haha so much so that she likes 2 shed in my hands :) hahaha... we love each other :) xx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

157 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  13:37:13  Show Profile
she doesnt love u as much as she loves me so ner ner lol (very childish idea of corns showin effection hahh) i like to think that she does, just lik children think it :D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000