heat mat and thermostat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

157 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  21:50:36  Show Profile
i got an exo terra heatmat underneath my glass viv, its not on a thermostat yet but im looking into getting one, do the heat mats run at top temperature when its pluged directly into a socket?. the reason i ask it because at the moment the temp is pretty good in the viv, sometimes a little to low for my liking, if the heat mat is running at its top temp anyway then a thermostat isnt goin to help me until i get my nxt woodern viv

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  22:13:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes they do. However, they can change as they age, or go faulty. I thermostat stops it overheating in these cases.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  22:20:59  Show Profile
It may be warm above the floor but what temp is the glass dirctly above the heatmat? You can check this by pitting the thermometer directly on to the glass floor. Glass vivs with an underfloor heat mat can get VERY hot without a thermostat and this can sometimes cause the glass to crack. It can also become too hot for the snake, but they are not as sensitive to detecting high temperatures like us and there is a risk they may get burnt before they realise it is too hot and they should move away!

For these reasons I would say a thermostst is always a necessity, whatener type of vivarium you have. Hope that helps.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  22:25:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
depending on the physical size of the mat, they vary in power too from 4W to 40+W. if it's not plugged into a stat there's nothing to stop it running flat out, and too hot at times which can be bad for the snake and bad for your pocket too (lecky bills!!) with a stat, even if it runs at 90% most of the time, it's best for both of you!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

157 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  11:28:10  Show Profile
think its about time i bought a thermostat then.. and a new heat mat, this exo terra is only 4w and i think its pretty rubish, doesnt keep the heat at a level id b happy with, so maybe a 10+w heatmat and a thermostat is the next investment

thanks guys Daman

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  12:04:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No probs. A Mat-stat is ~£20 new.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

157 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  16:14:22  Show Profile
just ordered a 14W heat mat and a 100W matstate, 3quid altogether so thats not bad, heatmat shoudl be big enough to use when i get a bigger viv :D as soon as lozy89 gives her dad the plans :@ lol

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  16:18:39  Show Profile
£3? Bargain!

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

157 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  16:20:39  Show Profile
opsy haha i wish 30quid lol sorry guys :P

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  18:30:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
lol - I was in shock then!

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  12:40:27  Show Profile
hahahaha £3! :D i want 1 2 then :D hahaha... lozy89?!?!? who is sheeee :) hehe. dad got work on atm so i doubt its gna b any tym swn :(

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000