i need info please
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nova1990
Yearling

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  19:38:33  Show Profile  Click to see nova1990's MSN Messenger address  Send nova1990 a Yahoo! Message
hey i was wondering get me some info please

i need to know info about there species and their unique methods of defence and potential risks to anyone handleing cornsnakes

health risks to the animal from being handled
types of restraint equipment
and handleing and restraint method detailing how to ensure minimal stress stress to the snake

sorry i know its alot

could anyone help me
ive looked on the internet nothing good came up so..

kirstie

Corn Snake - Ayame
Mexican Black Kingsnake - Ryuzaki
Bearded Dragon - Puff
Salmon pink Tarantula - Olivia
Antilles pinktoe Tarantula - MossChops

Ipswich, Suffolk

nova1990
Yearling

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  19:42:57  Show Profile  Click to see nova1990's MSN Messenger address  Send nova1990 a Yahoo! Message
hey i was wondering you could help me get some info please i was meant to say lol sorry

Corn Snake - Ayame
Bearded Dragon - Puff

Ipswich, Suffolk
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  20:20:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Is this for Cornsnakes?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

nova1990
Yearling

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  20:51:47  Show Profile  Click to see nova1990's MSN Messenger address  Send nova1990 a Yahoo! Message
yea

Corn Snake - Ayame
Bearded Dragon - Puff

Ipswich, Suffolk
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  21:27:09  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Lol sorry I can't help there, I'm only good with zoonotic diseases :P

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  18:02:38  Show Profile
Salmonella is the general scare with reptiles, hence it is recommended that you wash your hands before and after handling. Other than that, washing hands between handling different reptiles so you don't spread parasites like mites, or contageous infections like RSIs and Scale Rot.

In terms of handling, if your hands are wet, clammy or sweaty I would think it would get quite uncomfortable for them as they won't be able to move so freely. Squeezing is a big no no, as is grabbing them behind the head otherwise they will feel threatened and most likely thrash around and try to bite you. Corn snakes aren't generally prone to musking though I'm sure a really stressed one might. They tend to strike with a closed mouth as an initial warning and then go for the full tag if you really freak them out.. or they think you are dinner The damage from a bite is pretty minimal if a bit bleedy from lots of little teeth.. and obviously you need to clean it well in case of infection. Sometimes they will rattle their tails mimicking rattle snakes, but its all show as the cute wee things are non venemous

As for snake restraining methods I think the most popular choice is a pillow case! If you have a particularly aggressive snake you can use a snake hook or a bent coat-hanger (with no sharp ends) to hook them round the middle and pop them in a pillowcase. You can get special gloves for handling (though gardening gloves will do - the slightly fuzzy shammy ones). If you want an aggressive snake to get used to your smell the pillowcase method comes up alot.. or putting an item of clothing into their viv.

Always pick them up around the middle, not by the head or the tail, as it poses risks to the handler and the snake. Provide support to the whole body where possible and don't 'hold them out' or far from a surface in case you drop them. Keeping them close will make them feel a bit more secure rather than out on a limb! It helps if they are cool prior to handling especially if they are a bit skittish or nippy - mostly because they don't have the energy to move about so much (a trick popularly used in pet shops for getting rid of aggressive snakes).. its not very nice but it might help with nervous handlers. If you are transporting them in a box, cover it up in dark material so they aren't overwhealmed by the outside world.. also provide a heat pad or hot water bottle and a hide, and some water once they are in a secure location and it won't spill everywhere.

Hope that helps.. I've gleaned this from various parts of the internet when I was researching so none of it is expert advice, just shared and recommended knowledge

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

nova1990
Yearling

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  00:32:16  Show Profile  Click to see nova1990's MSN Messenger address  Send nova1990 a Yahoo! Message
nice thanks

Corn Snake - Ayame
Bearded Dragon - Puff

Ipswich, Suffolk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: