New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  22:13:07  Show Profile
Hey there guys,

I have read through a lot of posts, and i know that some of the questions i am going to ask may be covered in some posts, but please bear with me as i want to do best by my corn snake! :)

1)Heating. I heard that Heat Mats are bad because corn snakes burrow sometimes. Is this true. What would you recommend to use as a heat source for my snake?

2)Does the snake need UVB lighting?

3)Does it take more to look after a baby cornsnake? or an adult cornsnake? i have bought a adult cornsnake as i heard they are easier to handle as are more slow and doscile. But i am thinking of getting a baby corn or two. What would you say?

and 4) What would you say is best to have in a adult enclosure? and what would you say is best to have in a baby enclosure? size tanks, water bowl etc....

Thanks ever so much if you can please reply

0.0.1 Corn Snake
1.2.0 Leopard Geckos
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  22:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Hi Tommy Bee - Welcome to the forum,
Don't worry about asking questions - That's what the forum was set up for

Okay here you go:

quote:
1)Heating. I heard that Heat Mats are bad because corn snakes burrow sometimes. Is this true. What would you recommend to use as a heat source for my snake?

Heat mats are the best really for corns - But you do need a stat to stop them from over heating and burning your corn. The stat will also save you money on electricity as it will switch the mat off when i gets too hot. A Stat is a must have if you are to keep your corn safely.

quote:
2)Does the snake need UVB lighting?

A corn doesn't need UV no need to buy expensive UV bulbs. Your corn snake will be more active a night and mostly sleep and hide away during the day.

quote:
3)Does it take more to look after a baby cornsnake? or an adult cornsnake? i have bought a adult cornsnake as i heard they are easier to handle as are more slow and doscile. But i am thinking of getting a baby corn or two. What would you say?

Hatchlings and adults are quiet similar to care for, I prefer getting a hatchling and growing it on, you get the pleasure of watching your snake grow. Our first snake was an adult corn, they can be quiet adictive... we have nine snakes now, and the tenth is being picked up sometime this week, another adult corn.

quote:
and 4) What would you say is best to have in a adult enclosure? and what would you say is best to have in a baby enclosure? size tanks, water bowl etc....

The vivarium/tank shouldn't be too big - most snakes get stressed out and may go off food if their enclosure is too big. They like plenty of places to hide and a few places to climb. A rough rock will help when your snake needs to shed as it can rub itself against it. A water bowl big enough for the snake to soak itself in to aid shedding and for fresh drinking water is also a must.

quote:
Thanks ever so much if you can please reply

As I say not a problem - That's what this forum is for

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  23:16:52  Show Profile
Thanks a lot for all the advice lewy.

I am now happy with my set up for my corn snake. I am using aspen bedding at the moment for my corn. I was reading a few articles and stuff and heard that this was ok but maybe better when feeding to either move the snake or place the food on a mesh that can be placed in the cage for feeding. Which would you recommend?

Thanks for advice on the heating stat. I didn't know about them until you said. i will look into getting one tomorrow.

I think i may also be getting a baby corn towards the end of the week :)

Thanks again

0.0.1 Corn Snake
1.2.0 Leopard Geckos
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  23:25:14  Show Profile
Most people feed outside of the viv. I feed mine on a decent sized bit of cardboard

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  23:26:24  Show Profile
Yeah i have started feeding my outside.

0.0.1 Corn Snake
1.2.0 Leopard Geckos
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  00:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Mine have been fed in RUBS since they were hatchlings and now they will very rarely eat when not in them.
Although the problem with this is that when they go into the RUB and the lid comes off ready for the mouse to go in they're already in strike mode, so fingers close to the edge get targeted sometimes.

But i'd rather risk getting tagged to having an impacted snake.

Even then, you're not a proper snake owner until you've been tagged.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  11:16:26  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
i always feed mine in a tub so not to have the snake swallow any of it's aspen, and also so i dont get tagged when going into it's tank thinking it's feeding time.

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  20:24:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
another tip regarding heatmats is that you can always cover it with a piece of lino taped down so the snake can't come into direct contact with the mat. i personally use a few sheets of newspaper under the substrate then pin them down with the decor - hides, pretty rocks and the like

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000