pine and rats snakes....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  09:57:46  Show Profile
I will be getting a oine snake and a rat snake next week as the owners landlord wont allow him to keep em.... Never owned either and advice would be great!

Baby gordon not george (carolina cornsnake)
Stumpy (bearded dragon)
Max and twinkles (cats)Thomas (toad)
Texas (Texas rat snake)

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  12:05:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
rats can vary quite a bit in temperament depending on which particular rat it is, i know nothing about pines but i believe both are similar in requirements to corns, try www.thekingsnake.co.uk as there's some real enthusiasts who seem to really know their stuff on there - meltos and lampropeltis guttata

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  21:20:24  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address

Pine Snake!
They're horrible to keep, your better off taking it and giving it to me
Just kidding.
I am very jelous though.

Make sure you post pics when you get them

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  21:48:57  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
pines are fine but some rats can be a little waspie so invest in a good pair of welders gaunlets, taming a fiesty one can take time but its an adrenalin rush when your doing it, and a good feeling when its done

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  13:26:37  Show Profile
The pines i have come across were grumpy, no bites, no musk or "decorating you", all they ever did was hiss. Depending on rats however like saddle said, they can be fiesty and take a while to tame, but it really is worth it.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  13:50:02  Show Profile
Pretty much, theres a large chance they'll both be very hissy ****y snakes.
Regular handling sessions will be needed, but you will be bitten at least once by each snake.

If it's a rat snake from America, (I.e Eversglade Rat) you'll need the same conditions as a corn, but a bigger tank
Pines are around the same I do believe.

But lucky you!

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  19:48:04  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
if they do strike and are agressive,try and handle with the snake inside a pillow case for a few weeks so it gets used of being held

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  22:59:41  Show Profile
Thanks guys. The tikes arrived today with vivz with nothing more than a bulb for heating so Im assuming I need mats too?? The rat is around 4 ft long and has excess skin as if its malnourished? You can clearly see ridge down his back. Has taken himself under a log and wont come out so Im leaving him ("TEXAS")to settle. "psycho" has gone round and around his viv all afternoon and had a good drink. We decided he was huntin so offered a mouse....3 later we said no more fatty! He again has a ridge down his spine like he is under weight. I will go tomorrow to buy some rat pups as I understand they are fattier so will aid getting some weight on. Any advice is good. We have not yet handled them although hubby opened pychos tank earlier and he hissed at him so was promptly closed back in lol. Im not great with biters so am steering clear!!! Hubby can do the handling! I was going to take them straight to local shop but looking at them will try and fatten them up first and then decide what to do with them... You never know they may stay put!!! Any advise would be great.

Stumpy (bearded dragon)
Texas (Texas rat snake)

Edited by - n/a on 09/11/2008 23:01:28
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  06:10:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You don't need heat mats if you have a heat bulb. As for feeding them up with fat, I would suggest just keeping them on adult mice and building their weight up slowly.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  20:13:52  Show Profile
Thanks BE went to my local shop today (who I have to say is fab!) and she said the same. feed on large mice and once he has cleared out after the feed offer the next feed till he is fat and healthy. She showed me her big old boy and it made me quite sad that our boy was so thin. He took 3 mice this evening no worries and before that let hubby handle him for a couple of minutes. The Pine snake came out but sat recoiled for a strike hissing and pufing himself up. Hubby had gloves on just in case but was quite funny o watch...all hiss and no trousers lmao!

Stumpy (bearded dragon)
Texas (Texas rat snake)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  12:28:42  Show Profile
Sounds like you have a typical pine snake there dannis. I had two at my college and they would not stop hissing and puffing until i put them back after doing the total clean out we did as part of the course.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  09:46:29  Show Profile
sad news.. the pine passed away.. not idea why...stress or old age im not sure. Still have our tex tho. He has a huge bump where his butthole is tho and seems to be constipated.....any ideas?

Stumpy (bearded dragon)
Texas (Texas rat snake)
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  10:04:06  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
if your snake has not eaten a lot for a long, try not to over feed him straight away, increase the amount of meals by reducing the days inbetween feeds instead of all on the same day, that way the body will get used to food again

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  11:14:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sorry to hear about the pine

if the rat is constipated i'd try giving him a bath - luke warm water about 1-2" deep for 10 mins. giving a snake a swim usually makes sh!t happen

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  17:14:00  Show Profile
Thanks he is having a soak as we speak lol!

Stumpy (bearded dragon)
Texas (Texas rat snake)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000