update on kylie!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  18:35:29  Show Profile
having problems getting kylie to eat. Had her for 9 weeks now and the shop kept on telling me to carry on bathing her - she was still shedding (she's having a bad shed). Was worried that she hadn't eaten so i took her back to the shop on Sunday. The lad in the shop tried to feed her because he agreed she looked thin - ended up assist feeding her 1/4 of a pinkie - she kept it down. I just assist fed her again 1'3 of a pinkie. Will she eventually take them on her own?

1 Royal Python: Draco
1 Corn Snake: Ember

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  20:31:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
just had a look at your last thread about Kylie not eating.......... did you check the temps in your set-up and did you cover 3 sides of it to make her feel more secure?
assist feeding can be stressful to all concerned but it might be the kick-start she needs to get feeding on her own again

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  20:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Hope she starts eating ok- normally corns are greedy little monsters

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  21:08:17  Show Profile
this afternoo i put a infra red bulb outside the viv, because its gone very cold, will get a thermostat soon. she's on a high shelf so she does get peace and hopefully feels secure - she loves being out and held!! do you think i should try her again with food in 2 days or so?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  22:16:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i'd try assist feeding her parts of a pinky on a daily basis for about a week (to get her strength back up again) then try skipping a day then offering her a pinky if she'll take it her self?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  22:48:51  Show Profile
could only get a tiny bit of a pinkie into her today. will try again tomorrow, does this happen to many young snakes?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2008 :  11:57:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
corns in general are good feeders but there's always exceptions to the rule

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2008 :  13:12:58  Show Profile
I know this is probably really irrelevant, but when i bought Jasper as he was imported from America, for a very long time i had feeding problems with him until he finally settled. I didnt handle him for weeks and only fed him, until he was feeding properly thats when i started handling him. As mentioned im not sure if this helps, but it sounds like you have a reluctant feeder.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2008 :  15:59:13  Show Profile
how did u feed him, did u just leave the food in the viv or did you assist feed? just covered three sides of the viv like someone suggested

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2008 :  18:02:43  Show Profile
I covered 3 sides of the small plastic tank he was in and put the food in there and just left it, and it worked for me on that one. I didnt do any assisting feeding unless i knew he really needed it, i put alot more hides than usual in the tank, plus closely monitored the temps to make sure they are accurate. And i kept very minimal contact with him until he was properly feeding. Basicly no handling or going near his tank at all unless necessary. I did also as gross as this sounds cut a bit of the pinky and squeezed some blood out and this encouraged Jasper to feed. It made me feel sick doing it, but it did do the trick. And after a few weeks of doing that he was feeding like any normal corn would.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000