New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  10:27:00  Show Profile
Hey, just a few questions .
1.ive read on the net that you need a cold side and a warm spot for the snake but i dont see how that works ,how does heat not fill the whole viv ?

2.True or not ? does the heat mat need to be kept on permenantly ? ive read two different sides to it.One saying yes and the other saying no and its not actually needed.

3.What are they like to run ?Ive heard alot that sounds like rubbish , that they are equivelent to leaving a pc on permenantly.or lights around the house.

4. what do you think of this set up or anyone had it?

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2617&ProductGroupID=1286

any help much appreciated

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  10:38:31  Show Profile
1. A heat mat doesnt heat air, it only heats what it touches. the heat wont travel more than a few inches away from the mat.

2. I keep it on all the time as do most people.

3. I havent got a clue sorry.

4. That set up uses a heat ligh, most people choose mats for corn snakes. It also uses strip thermometers, digital ones are more accurate.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  10:52:40  Show Profile
oh ok , cheers.Ill see what other set ups i can get then.two things that need changing , not worth getting the set up.

How about this one ? seems better suited , with the heat mat?and thermometer with i think is digital but would have to look into it.correct me if im wrong.

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1885&ProductGroupID=1411

Edited by - n/a on 29/10/2008 11:42:33
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  12:32:09  Show Profile
Personaly i would go for the 2nd one. The thermometers are dial ones but they are OK. digital ones dont cost much though. Mine cost me £2 each i think. The set up doesnt come with a stat which you will need. Again, most people wont use a light, but im sure you could sell it if you didnt want it.

I would go for the second one, but wait for some more opinions before buying one

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  12:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Nath

3.What are they like to run ?Ive heard alot that sounds like rubbish , that they are equivelent to leaving a pc on permenantly.or lights around the house.

I don't think they use that much electricity. Think it is equivalent to a light bulb. Depending on the size of the mat, they are only about 13 volts, which isn't a lot at all.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  18:42:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

quote:
Originally posted by Nath

I don't think they use that much electricity. Think it is equivalent to a light bulb. Depending on the size of the mat, they are only about 13 volts, which isn't a lot at all.

ah bless kaz

240v and 13 watts...

the second one is for a adult corn not a hatchling...

Edited by - dazb on 29/10/2008 18:43:43
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  09:29:45  Show Profile
Cheers people.I didnt think that they would cost much to run.
A thermostat is going to be about £30 at cheapest isnt it?But thats not too bad .
Not a set up for a hatchling but that leads me to my next question(s).

What have you lot done to keep a hatchling ?Bought the smaller vivs for sale?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  11:05:17  Show Profile
At 888 a stat is only about £17 if you get the mini stat which works pretty well for me. This is the kit I got http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2623&ProductGroupID=1287 which is alot less expensive and has the mat and stat included which is great. It has everything you need for a hatchling, though I would say the hides are too big - though they'll be very useful when your snake moves to a larger enclosure and is a bit bigger - so its future investment in terms of hides. I'd recommend a digital thermometer though, I found mine for £2 on fleabay. I got my electricity bill having recently started to run four heat mats (two scorpion enclosures, one snake and one gecko tank) and the diffrence to my bill was almost non existent The thermostat will help keep your costs down too.

Toilet roll tubes and emppty paracetamol boxes (can you tell I've had a cold?) are a godsend - the terrariums are still pretty large so they need plenty of hides, but wil also have room to grow. Sirius fits really neatly into an ibuprfen box-it seems to be his fave thing so I have one up each end of his terrarium and toilet roll tubes inbetween. Unless you already have 'the bug' I think buying a small viv for a hatchling is a bit of a waste - personally I'm gonna wait until sirius is of a decent size before investing in/building one

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  12:38:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Even cheaper, I use these for my hatchlings - I have 4 of them: http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=189&ProductGroupID=1405

The only change I make is to cover 3 of the 4 sides.

Plus you can get the ministat 100 from them or here http://www.kingdomreptiles.co.uk/4.html for less than £20.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  14:14:29  Show Profile
Cheers , two really helpful replies !
The running of the whole thing was what i was un-decided about, id heard they was a fortune but couldnt see how.The food is cheaper than i thought aswell .
How long do you keep the hatchling in the faunarium for ?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  15:19:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
It depends on the size, most people go by length + width of viv = max length of snake. So 14 x 10" viv can accommodate up to a 24" snake.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000