New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  09:10:14  Show Profile
Hi guys.

I recently bought a 4ft viv with the intention of tidying it up and sorting it for when Slim is older. Now I've realised that it will be like another 3 or 4 years til he is big enough, I want to put a divider down the middle of the viv and possibly raise two corns in the one viv, but on separate sides so they can't see each other.

Will this cause any problems? Like will they be able to smell each other and that? Plus, what kind of size will a corn be to outgrow what would be a 2 foot viv if I did do the divider.

Thanks for any help!

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  09:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I'm assuming the 4ft viv is only 1ft wide and tall.
If so, with a divider at the halfway mark you should be able to keep a corn in each end up until they're about 3-3 1/2 feet long.
Make sure the divider is nice and secure, if there's a gap, they'll get through it. As for will they be able to smell each other, providing the divider is a nice decent one, then you'll find they will be aware of each other, but hopefully not much else.

I've never had to divide a viv for myself, but others on here have, so they'll comment shortly i would imagine.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  13:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
We once divided a viv up with a piece of well cut wood and some sealant to fill the gaps.

Can't remember exactly how we did it though, so I'll ask Lewy

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  19:19:26  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Mark just divided my 3 foot viv up with wood and sealant, now Dawn isn't so stressed about the huge size and Dusk has more room to move about. Make sure you fill the gap where the glass slides however, we just used a thick layer of sealant with a layer of felt on top to protect the glass. It also means you can use one heatmat to heat both sides! Money saving FTW!

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  20:03:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
my 4 footer is 2 feet wide and 2 feet high, if yours is the same size each of the 2 vivs becomes 2ft x 2ft floor space so that's still suitable for a 4ft corn in each of them

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  10:32:25  Show Profile
I'm not sure about the depth or height but I'll check when I get home. Along the same lines, instead of me starting a new thread, what wood is best to use? I don't want to poison him!

Plus, I've been given some off cuts of plywood at work and I want to know if I can use these to make shelves at the back for climbing but I won't until I know its safe. I can take photos of the wood if it helps?

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  19:59:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
my first choice would be melamine/contiboard as it's non toxic, waterproof and readily available.
can't really see a problem with ply as long as there are no rough/splintered bits, i'd apply a few coats of varnish to it though too.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  22:07:36  Show Profile
Cool thanks for the help. If I use the ply, Im gunna smooth all the edges down anyways, and plenty of varnish.

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2008 :  08:59:45  Show Profile
Yep, plywood will be fine. I used it for my 2nd viv.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000