New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  11:25:44  Show Profile
Meh, I've had a rubbish morning and needed to share

Sirius was looking ultra rubbish last night, but was clearly hungry so I fed him as usual.. when I got up this morning I found he had started to shed and was (naturally) quite pleased.. I found the super important bit (i.e. the head and eye caps) as soon as I looked in the tank, but noticed he was still in the process so left him be. About four hours later he still hadn't made any progress and it had come off in little bits.. no matter how much he was rubbing himself on things in his viv it wouldn't come off, so I bit the bullet and intervened because he was getting quite thrashy about the whole thing.

Despite having only fed him about 12 hours before I made him soak for a few minutes in warm water and then let him run through a rough towel, which worked for the most part but took a couple of goes.. he was seriously angsty initially, but then seemed to understand that it was helping him and calmed down considerably.. it took ages to get it all off his tail, but he managed to get the majority off in one big piece with a little help, and straight afterwards was onto my hand and exploring my arm.. so I guess he is ok. I put him back in his viv and he's hiding again now.

He's looking fantastic but it was so traumatic!! I did loads to up the humidity in the last few days, but apparently to no avail.. could it be that it was difficult because I'd fed him too recently?

I might go back to bed now...

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  14:29:28  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
urm maybe to do with the feed, we had one corn that regured as it shed. so might have been the cause but thats all the help i can give

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  17:10:14  Show Profile
Thanks I think hes ok now though.. and he hasn't regurged (at least not obviously)

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  18:49:10  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Eek, sounds stressful. Best luck on the next shed!

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  11:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I personally wouldn't have thought it would have been due to the feed, mine have eaten plenty of times when approaching shed and still been fine when shedding. It just sounds like a particularly bad shed, which can happen from time to time so at least he was lucky to have you there to help, after all there isn't anyone around with a nice rough towel after they have a bath in the wild is there??

Mine have had bad sheds in the past, similar to this and i always wondered if it was because it was too damp, the skin was just so fragile compared to normally and it seemed a bit more wet. I know it sounds odd, but anyone else have any opinions on that?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 27/10/2008 11:12:51
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  11:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think it might have something to do with the season- because I've had two bad sheds this week too.

Maybe it is like Kehhlyr says with it being too wet. The temp has dropped so much this last week because of the weather and even though the snakes have there own little heating systems, maybe the room temperature in general still effects them slightly. If you've been misting the tank but it's not been warm enough to evaporate, then it'll just mean a damp viv rather than humid air.

Just a thought

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  13:14:21  Show Profile
Is this his first shed with you? It happened with me. He's not used to shedding in his current settlement. Jeff recently had his 2nd shed it came out in one. It's to do with the settling in process.

Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  13:54:18  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
we shall see if it's because of the season cos mine are due to shed any day know hopefully they will shed all in one like usual.

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  14:05:46  Show Profile
Season could be the point.. our house is pretty cold and its been raining solidly for about two weeks although he's in a nice sheltered position and his thermometers read ok, what kehhlyr said sounds about right - I know it was my first shed (or rather, his at home) but I didn't expect the skin to be so fragile!! We're in a basement flat too, so the humidity never really drops below 55%.. I didn't think that would be a problem though.. poopy. I did spray the tank and it took longer than usual to evaporate, but I was careful not to spray too often as I wouldn't want him to end up with an RI or anything grim like that... Meh. Maybe the next one will be better. He did have a change of location in the house because the weather has been so bad that his original room was to drafty (we've had gale-force winds all week0, but its alot more secure and enclosed so I thought he'd be ok. Darn these baby snakes!

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  15:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I cheat to keep my humid levels up if i want them, i have a small shelf in my viv and put another heat mat (12x12 inch) on it, with a 12 inch water bowl on top of that.
It keeps the humidity level up, plus gives them another place to have a nice dip if they want to AND it's lovely warm water.

12x12 heat mat, £7.95 from reptiles plus.
12 inch water bowl, £1.50 from In-excess.

The water bowl is actually a large plant pot base about 2 inches deep as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  16:09:13  Show Profile
Very cunnning! And your snakes have their own heated pool!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  18:08:52  Show Profile
Using a spray bottle with warm water can help raise humidity.
Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  19:26:20  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
well my baby normal did have a bad shed so it could well be possible that it's the season cos she usually shed in one this time it came of in 3 pieces and left some on top of her near her head and around her tail so i had to bath her to get it all of which she was'nt to happy about.

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  22:35:30  Show Profile
I have put a tupperware box (lid on) with hole cut in side filled with damp sphagnum moss in my viv and Tango seems to like it after the first cautious exploration of it.

Previous owner said he always shed well, but he always bathed him a lot just before shed... I thought this way may help with shed without us having to bathe him regularly... as he does not seem to like bath, and poo's in it every time.... will now wait and see what happens...

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000