New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  22:22:31  Show Profile
Hi All,

Computer finally fixed!My first born baby snake, now 8 weeks old has never eaten, and we have done it all except force feed as it is so thin that we will probably kill it! It has two distinct black areas -one near vent and one in middle of body so I don't know if there is a blockage. His brother/sister is massive in comparison as it has eaten 10 pinkies since birth. Shall I just leave nature to take its course? Unfortunately I cannot post pics.

Anery Motley F: Callisto
Snow M: Europa
Carolina Reverse Okeetee F: Io
Anery Motley F: Kinky
Snow F: Maite

22 Naughty Hatchlings

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  22:41:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
seems like you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't

have you assist or force fed before? it might be worth asking round if anyone near you is good with non-feeders as it will be less stressful for the hatchling if you're not attempting it for the first time........... having said that there's got to be a 'first time' to become experienced.

might be worth PMing peanuts/sexychef as they've gone through similar with Hogtanian?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  22:50:00  Show Profile
Thanks GP, any sites that show how to force feed?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  08:03:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Go to a vet, they will help.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  08:52:58  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hold behind the head and gently open the mouth with the pinkies head, push to back of the mouse and see if the snake will take over, it might take a few times

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  18:47:40  Show Profile
The only thing that would work with hogtanian was a pinky press, Cornish Crispa sell them, because its a mushy feed you don't have to give him the whole pinky. You could start off with 1ml or 2ml and work him up, which is less likely to shock him so much. Because of the press you only have to get the tip into their mouths rather than the whole pinky, mind you you have to be carefull you don't squirt it into the lung. That's just my opinion though. Hope that helps :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  14:15:08  Show Profile
Well, I've done everything suggested but no joy. What surprises me is the amount of strength he still has after all of this time. He pushes against is home trying to get out and it took some force to get his mouth open!

Whilst attempting to force feed I noticed he has a large bulge above his vent with fluid in it that looks like the type of fluid you get in a blister. He also has more dark patches on his body now but am unsure if thats dark patches that have separated or if its because his skin is becoming more translucent.

The other two are doin well - greedy, shedding and have been moved into a proper viv of their own. It's amazing how they have eaten the same amount and yet one is considerably larger than the other eventhough they started out the same size. ??

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  19:48:51  Show Profile
i would go to a vet, they can help force feed and can see how the snake is.
maybe it could have an internal problem that the vet will know how to treat.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000