Skittish Hatchlings, or rather.. not...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  11:50:02  Show Profile
Ok, so I've only had Sirius for 6 days, but he's one chilled out wee snakey! I've been handling him twice a day (apart from 48 hours after his first feed).. for about five minutes in the morning when I open the shutters in his room (I say 'his' room.. it's our spare room where all the exotics seem to live to keep them safe from kitties!) and again in the evening when I change his water bowl, spot clean etc. Although he's a teeny bit jumpy on initially being picked up, within 30 seconds he's super relaxed, and last night he was so chilled out he stopped being squiggly and explory and just curled round my fingers whilst having a look around! The first time I handled him was for about 10 minutes, but last night was well over half an hour. I needed to share the joy

From what I've gathered though, most hatchlings are a lot more skittish, speedy, hissy and rattly. Given that the next ones I get are likely to have been handled very little, I'm guessing I'll be in for more of a challenge. Do they usually mellow out that fast or does it depend on the snake? Will I be in for months of nippyness? Also, will it take longer to tame a yearling than a hatchling do you think?

I wondered how people's experiences compared and if some snakes are just non-tameable

(do I post too many long and silly questions? Let me know if I do, I wouldn't want to be annoying )

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  12:03:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
They all have different personalities, just ask Cumbrian Eejit and the problems he had with Cecil!

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  12:04:52  Show Profile
Cecil seemed pretty chilled on the radio show video thing.. surely he wasn't a nightmare to begin with?

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  13:46:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if they have a good start in life - carefully, competant, regular handling - as hatchlings they should grow into calm, handleable snakes. there IS always the individuals' personality to consider though which can make a huge difference.

Stripey my CB07 girl was very skitty when i got her a few months ago. she came direct from her breeder who has literally 100's (if not 1000s?) of snakes to deal with so she wasn't handled much. she's coming round to the idea now but she's still sharper than my other '07s.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  17:08:07  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
oh yes he was, i've had him for 3 months now and have inly had him as calm as that for 4-5 weeks, everytime my hand went near, i got bit!!! it was so bad I often considered giving up, very glad I didn't now though, and now I'm more confident at picking up coco too.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  17:37:10  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
most can be a bit defensive when first hatched, cause the world is full of danger for a hatchling but when they work out their suroundings are safe then they do calm down, more so as they get bigger and get used to people and being handled

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  19:11:17  Show Profile
Our Synyster has been so liad back since we got him...Obviously the lady we got him off played a fantastic mum
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  20:26:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  21:11:43  Show Profile
yup well done GP!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: