Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  00:53:18  Show Profile
Calci Sand ispoopyes. Ordinary, compact sand is fine as it's solid and hard to pick up.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  08:54:44  Show Profile
Personaly, i would use laminate flooring (that i have left over), newspaper/kitchen roll or lino.

That way it just eliminates all risk

Edited by - matty18714 on 27/10/2008 14:48:00
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  14:24:48  Show Profile
OMG those links are scary.

Well, I got a couple on Saturday and they're settling in quite well. Needless to say they are not on sand At the moment I've got them on beech chips as they recommended them in the shop and that is what they were being housed on. I've seen them lick it a couple of times but its big enough for them not to swallow. As they get bigger I was going to change tack and go for something more natural, but for while they are settling in, this is easier as I can monitor their feeding better and scoop out their poop If anyone thinks this is a super bad idea for a reason I can't identify then let me know, but they seem ok so far. Paper towel seemed so cruel and cold .. poor babies! Pics will be up soon

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  15:20:06  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
I'm gonna keep my geckos on broken slates from a building site near me. obviously imma take the shapr edges off, but they get warm and are really easy to clean :)

btw, does anyone know a good way to incubate leo eggs please? cause i wanna breed 4 hypo leos with a luicistic, or watever it is, how valuble would the babies be at half hypo half lui?
I can image there would be some very nice varieties in colour ^_^

they're gnna be in a 3 x 2 x 2 viv, so more than enough room, and imma put 3 hides n there with them, but is there anything else cept the obvious (heat mat) that they really need?

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  16:44:28  Show Profile
Back to the sand argument, what about natural desert sand? I mean the stuff that actually comes from deserts and isn't man made? Like (or so they claim) this:http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/desert_sand.php ???

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  16:56:32  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
http://hubpages.com/hub/Natural-Habitat-of-the-Leopard-Gecko

They don't come from sand though according to the above link. Sorry, I don't know much about Leos, just passing on info from someone I trust.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  17:03:03  Show Profile
Ah this is true. This is such a minefield. At least most people will agree that aspen is good and pine shavings are bad for snakes. No one seems to agree on leos! Half the pages I've seen on the internet shun me for having beech chips, the other half say its a good idea. *sigh* Well... we'll see won't we If I come back with a dead gecko from impaction in the next few weeks we'll know..

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  17:48:11  Show Profile
i know it is a mine field. im going through the same thing...MM really did know his stuff. wish kaz would release him.

not sure wot you would get punk. i think a leucy is a blizzard(albino) and a hypo is hypomelansitic(reduced black) so maybe you would get just albinos. ask the seller he should know if they are proven.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  09:59:56  Show Profile
I just read this. Its worth reading:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/205274-will-never-use-sand-again.html

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  11:31:21  Show Profile
Ewww.. if you carry on down the thread to the Beardie impaction stuff its really gross.. I may cover the chips I have with stone and slate just in case. I wouldn't want them to accidentally munch any I can always use it for Sirius anyway

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000