New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  12:06:24  Show Profile
Hey guys,

does anyone ever have any problems keeping the heat up in their vivs/RUBs etc?

I have several heat mats, but one of them never really seems to hit above 25*C, so I don't bother keeping it on a stat. I also have one that seems to take forever to heat up while I have another that is instantly hot (and thus, stat worthy!)

Are there usually these differences in mats or have I aquired a faulty one somewhere?

Also, does the wattage make much difference to the overall temp? i.e. if I have a 7watt and a 12watt about the same size will the 12watt be hotter (sorry.. stupid and obvious science question..)

Incidentally, I have no snake yet, so the animals in question are scorpions. They seem happy and healthy so I'm not worried, and they can bury their way away from the heat if they need to so no worries about cooking them, lol but since a snake is imminent I wanted to ask the question.

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  12:55:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Where have you got the heat mats?

Where have you got the thermometers/stat probes?

What type of thermometers (digital?)

What size heat mat / what size viv?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  13:08:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Where have you got the heat mats?

Where have you got the thermometers/stat probes?

What type of thermometers (digital?)

What size heat mat / what size viv?

No One Expects The Spanish Inquisition!!

The heat mat is attached to the outside of a glass perfecto (18x10 inches..ish), is about 7x5 inches and around 8watts I think. I have a liquid crystal thermometer on the inside of each end. My house it pretty cool so the cool end reads about 21* and the hot end around 25* with the weird mat and nicely on 30* ish with the hot one, but it does seem to fluctuate quite alot on the hot side, despite the stat (which is at 'ground level' nearest the heat mat). The tank is out of drafts and direct light.

I am separating them shortly and putting them into a larger exo terra fauarium each (plastic). Would the heat carry through plastic better? They seem fine with the temps as they are, and only occasionally bury themselves or shift up the cooler end..

Basically my intention was to house new baby snakey in the glass perfecto. I wondered if it would be better to have the mat inside the tank with something to cover it properly (like a lino tile or something) so the heat isn't lost - with the stat probe taped to the surface to get an accurate read. I've also got a digital themometer on the way, as I've gathered analogue and liquid crystals can be tricky..

**edited for millions of typos**

Edited by - n/a on 30/09/2008 13:10:52
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  13:44:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Don't have a problem with any of my mats on any of my Perfectos.

However, I have mine attached underneath the viv (covering between 1/3 and 1/2 of the floor), touching the glass and measure the temperature with a digital thermometer on the substrate (as that's where snakey will be). Heat mats do not heat the air.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  16:04:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Don't have a problem with any of my mats on any of my Perfectos.

However, I have mine attached underneath the viv (covering between 1/3 and 1/2 of the floor), touching the glass and measure the temperature with a digital thermometer on the substrate (as that's where snakey will be). Heat mats do not heat the air.

Hmm.. maybe I just have a funny one... but I guess since they are on the side the heat won't be stored in the tank.. as such..

Cheers anyway

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  17:11:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
For the snake you'd want it underneath really and I'm sure it would reach the correct temp and please have it on a stat.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  17:29:05  Show Profile
Of course! If there is one thing I've learned on this forum its that stats are essential! ;)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  17:35:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000