Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  14:45:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Does anyone have any tips for moving a snake on from mice to rats? I was told Marilyn 'doesn't eat rats' and true enough when offered, she took a jumbo mouse but wouldn't touch the rat.
So, any tips any one? where's MM when you need him??

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  14:53:20  Show Profile
Defrosting a mouse with a rat? holding both a mouse and a rat and moveing the rat so she grabs that instead of the mouse?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  14:53:20  Show Profile
Defrosting a mouse with a rat? holding both a mouse and a rat and moveing the rat so she grabs that instead of the mouse?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  15:14:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Feed a large mouse followed by a small rat pup/weaner (as a desert).

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  15:14:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Feed a large mouse followed by a small rat pup/weaner (as a desert).

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  17:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
We are going to try Evra and Nagini on rats this week, they don't like them either, but are getting too big to be picky.

If you have any success- let me know

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  17:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
We are going to try Evra and Nagini on rats this week, they don't like them either, but are getting too big to be picky.

If you have any success- let me know

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  19:46:45  Show Profile
Defrost a mouse and a rat in the same shallow water overnight, which can cause both smells and tastes to mix, Bit like marinating. Blood the rat with the blood of the mouse and try to offer the rat before the mouse.
The snake will take the rat and if it constricts will not be too messy, but as you would have split the mouse, it is likely to just continue its feed if left alone with it. You might have to do this for a couple of feeds.
It has worked for me and i think ill be doing it with guinea pigs and rats, for Jaundice.

I know of skinning mice and wrapping the skin over the rat too, like putting a sock on, but thats not for the faint hearted.

Miss a couple of feeds maybe and let the hunger be the cure?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  19:46:45  Show Profile
Defrost a mouse and a rat in the same shallow water overnight, which can cause both smells and tastes to mix, Bit like marinating. Blood the rat with the blood of the mouse and try to offer the rat before the mouse.
The snake will take the rat and if it constricts will not be too messy, but as you would have split the mouse, it is likely to just continue its feed if left alone with it. You might have to do this for a couple of feeds.
It has worked for me and i think ill be doing it with guinea pigs and rats, for Jaundice.

I know of skinning mice and wrapping the skin over the rat too, like putting a sock on, but thats not for the faint hearted.

Miss a couple of feeds maybe and let the hunger be the cure?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  21:16:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
tried the defrosting a mouse and rat together thing, and Marilyn was hungry too as she'd skipped a feed due to shedding - it didn't work! having said that she's only fed once since i got her a whole 9 days ago. will try the marinating next, she's far too big to be on mice, even jumbo sized onces!

moving up mouse sizes with corns is easy, I'll probably have the same problem with Queenie though. will keep you all posted on what's worked or not.

any more ideas anyone?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  21:16:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
tried the defrosting a mouse and rat together thing, and Marilyn was hungry too as she'd skipped a feed due to shedding - it didn't work! having said that she's only fed once since i got her a whole 9 days ago. will try the marinating next, she's far too big to be on mice, even jumbo sized onces!

moving up mouse sizes with corns is easy, I'll probably have the same problem with Queenie though. will keep you all posted on what's worked or not.

any more ideas anyone?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  21:18:42  Show Profile
Could she have been power fed before you got her?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  21:18:42  Show Profile
Could she have been power fed before you got her?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  21:31:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mark

i think this is commonly called a "jacket" as in the rat is putting on a mouse as a jacket. Sounds like it will work to me, but thats if you can do it or not

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  21:31:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mark

i think this is commonly called a "jacket" as in the rat is putting on a mouse as a jacket. Sounds like it will work to me, but thats if you can do it or not

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  22:16:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i might be a veggie but i'm not a wuss matty!! but it's not the first thing i'm going to try either

the previous owner said the owner before that (!) said she wouldn't take rats so the PO never tried. she seems up to weight, certainly not skinny so somebody somewhere might have been feeding her 6 mice at a time

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  22:16:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i might be a veggie but i'm not a wuss matty!! but it's not the first thing i'm going to try either

the previous owner said the owner before that (!) said she wouldn't take rats so the PO never tried. she seems up to weight, certainly not skinny so somebody somewhere might have been feeding her 6 mice at a time

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  01:03:08  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
try different colour rats, it might sound daft but my 2 adult royals will only eat white rats (even though they hunt by heat)

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  01:03:08  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
try different colour rats, it might sound daft but my 2 adult royals will only eat white rats (even though they hunt by heat)

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  09:17:11  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I tried Evra and Nagini on rats again last night and neither took them.

Will have to try some of these manoeuvres next feed.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  09:17:11  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I tried Evra and Nagini on rats again last night and neither took them.

Will have to try some of these manoeuvres next feed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000