New member just saying hello
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  17:47:03  Show Profile
Just a quick post to say hello from a newbie in the UK.
Got my first two corns, housed separately in 18x12x9in plastic vivs, both standing on the same heat mat.
one was purchased from a shop, which is a butter (Sunny) supposedly sexed as a hatchling as a male, approx 17-18in long so i suspect about 2-3 months
The second was aquired from a friend who's corns bred, this is a candy cane (Rosie), 5 weeks old today approx 13-14in long unsure of sex but hope for a female, but hope to get (her) sexed at my local reptile shop.
Sunny is a gannet and feeds well 2 pinkies every 5-6 days and shed on saturday. Rosie, is more finiky and is on 1 pinkie every 5-6 days but will only feed while being held.
Anyway that is a quick intro from me look forward to chatting
User IP

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  17:48:50  Show Profile
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  18:06:04  Show Profile
hi and welcome...

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  18:29:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi, welcome to the forum

Love Butters.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  20:37:38  Show Profile
Hi n welcome

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  22:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Hello New member.

Welcome to the forum.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  09:47:07  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Welcome to the forum!

Only feed while being held? How strange. Hopefully she wont begin associating holding with feeding as it may give her a greater chance of nipping you by accident if she's hungry.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  13:16:12  Show Profile

Many thanks for the welcome, hi to all.

Had a chat with my friend that bred her, and she said she had to do the same with the father when it was young. Not planning on do it all the time will try her on her own every time but will keep that in the pocket if she gets finiky again.
Just taken them both to my local reptile shop and had a chat about their sex and genral health, due to their size he wasn't prepared to prob, and he doesn't pop, he did a visual and although he can't guarantee, his opinion is that they are as was thought, Sunny a male, Rosie a female. Will wait until they are bigger and return them for him to probe, other than that he told me they look very healthy.
Due to be fed again tonight so hoping Rosie feeds well, on her own.
Just a piece of info for those whom may be interested, Sunny had a few mites when i first got him, noticed them straight away when i got him home, bathed him every day, and applied petroleum jelly on a cotton bud to individual mites i could see attached to his head. i also acquired some hypoaspis(predatory)mites. applied them to both his and Rosies' enclosure and after less than 2 days no more mites seen. and touch wood 3 weeks later still clean. mite treatment with no chemicals or negative side affects.
Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  13:46:38  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Welcome to the site

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  14:30:04  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ooooh, hypoaspis mites, I've never known anyone that has actually used them and successfully too!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  14:39:13  Show Profile
i would say for £12 it's worth trying before using chemicals.
I got them from a company called defender, they have a web site, after speaking to the guy that owns the company he told me he sends lots out to both snake keepers and arachnid keepers every year. they even came with a leaflet of how to use them for treating snake mites.
I was well pleased. hopefully i will never have the need to use them again, but if i am unlucky they will certainly be my first choice of treatment.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  14:43:18  Show Profile
After returning from Reptile shop with both corns it appears Rosie is an Amel, not a candy.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  15:06:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
hope you didn't pay a candycane price from her, they're generally more expensive than amels!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  15:10:19  Show Profile
She was free.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  19:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
How did you wing that? Wish someone would give me a free snake

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  19:40:51  Show Profile
Welcome Sunny
Hypoaspis sure are good.
Polystyrene on a heat mat is another chemical free tip, for the egg layers, if you can cool the snake safely enough in a large viv. (Better with forgiving larger snakes) The warm gaps between polystyrene are favoured.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  20:24:21  Show Profile
Rosie was given to me by a friend who's corns i have admired for some time. my wife changed her mind on allowing them in the house and i was given one of my friends hatchlings from this year.. what a result
Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  20:31:38  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
hi and welcome to the forum

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000