New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  14:14:53  Show Profile
Not sure if I've done this right, as after re-sizing, had to hit the back button to get back to my album page, as there did not seem to be a 'done' button after the 'apply'... but we'll see...

Pics of Tango are taken from pre-owners web site (blast - forgot to ask him first.... but will go back and do that in a minute... sure he won't mind, he's such a lovely guy and will want me to show him off!!)... Pics of viv is as it is now, on top of my daughers pine dresser in her bedroom (safest place away from traffic and noise!!)

Ex owner said he had to get blue light when red blew last week... but that usually uses red. He also said that Tango had never been near light, but that I should get a cage for it if it made me feel safer...lol....

Am going to shop later to get temp gauges as that is the only thing this viv seems to be missing....

I am so chuffed.... can you tell...roflmao!!!....J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  14:37:05  Show Profile
Goregous snakey!!! And nice set up too, very jungly :) though I think most people would advise you put a guard over the light as Tango might burn himself..

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)

Edited by - n/a on 15/09/2008 14:37:49
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  15:27:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, nice set-up, but as SS says, you need a guard/cage over the bulb as snakes don't associate pain/burning the way we do and you could end up with a badly burned snake.

He's a big boy

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  16:27:48  Show Profile
loverly snake and great set up...

Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  17:02:49  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
That is fantastic love the viv that looks sweet i bet he loves that.Very pretty snake love the colours.

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  17:33:55  Show Profile
Very nice snake. Can see why your so happy. I havent got a guard on my light but i only put in on when its a cold day so she is very inactive.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  18:00:45  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
a cracking snake you got there, theres no need for a basking lamp

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  18:19:10  Show Profile
Thanks so much for advice... the person we got him from used this set up for him for the last year... question... do you think it would we be better to use heat mat and use a normal bulb with cage light... will this also look better... do you think Tango would like it as much??... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  18:19:42  Show Profile
definatly need a cage over the lamp, i haven't got one and my corn pinky tried to climb on it and got a nasty burn on her side, and she has now got a nasty scar.....
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  19:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
We just use heat mats with the corns with energy-saving bulbs, so I'm sure Tango would be ok too. They don't need a basking light, so you might as well swap so that the risk of him burning himself is reduced anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  19:10:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Kaz is right, if you use a low wattage energy-saving bulb they don't get hot so shouldn't need a guard.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  21:15:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
that is one well-fed snake! actually he looks familiar.......................

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  21:21:58  Show Profile
So if I do decide to change it to a low energy light bulb whatsit, and heat mat, am I right in thinking the plug for the light would go direct to the electric extension lead instead of into the dimmer stat thingy, and the plug to the heat mat would go to the plug on the dimmer stat instead??....

Also would I cover the heat mat with anything other than bedding substrate(using turtle bedding like last owner did).

What wattage light would you suggest?... no good with these new fangled low energy/wattage thingymajigs!!

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  21:26:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
8W or 11W, something like that (remember to turn it off at night!) and yes it would just be a normal light, no need for the dimming stat.

I'm not sure about plugging the heatmat into a dimming stat, I can't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe someone else knows better.

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  12:14:17  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Lovely set up and lovely snake! The name is perfect ^^

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page