Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:03:38  Show Profile
I have a friend who is doing a course in veterinary care. She has been set an essay about snakes, and one of the questions is:

Why would somebody want to keep a snake?

Obviously im the only person she knows with snakes, and im not really that much help. Lol!

So would you please help my friend, and answer the above question?

Thanks

1.1.0 Corn Snakes: Dante & Hades
2.0.0 Cats: Orpheus & Dimitri
0.1.0 Dog: Sophie
0.0.1 GALS
1.0.0 Mexi Black - Lucifer

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:40:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Why would anyone keep any pet, why is a snake different?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:52:08  Show Profile
I think the question is more, `Why would anyone want to keep a snake, as opposed to any other pet?`

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  11:02:23  Show Profile
I dont know. I did say to Michelle that it was a stupid question, and she agreed.
We both came to the decision that a snake is not as popular as a dog or a cat, and maybe that is what her tutor is meaning, why pick a snake over a more popular animal?

0.0.1 GALS
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  11:29:56  Show Profile
hmm curious, we can only keep reps because of allergys and landlords, i mean a snake isn't gonna wake up your neighboors at 3 am barking is it? Nor is it going to ruin the furniture with pet hair. But they really are fantastic pets and because of the ?unusual-nes? of them and all the forums it can make it a bit of a hobby. Also they are fascinating, have lots of different types and varieties and when you get to know them they all have little personalities to.... That's just my personal reasons. :) hope it helps.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  11:56:48  Show Profile
I agree Peanuts. I have always loved the unusualness of them. Ever since my next door neighbour had a python when i was 5 i've been obsessed. They do have their own personalities, and they are fasinating. They are differnet from the norm

0.0.1 GALS
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  11:58:51  Show Profile
I always wanted one when I was a kid because of their mythological standing - they fascinated me in stories (historical and fictional) and have alot of links with the Occult and ancient medicinal practices. When I learned about them as an animal (in various documentaries, books etc) their abilities really caught my attention - the fact that they have colonised every kind of habitat and have spread world wide, can dislocate their jaws, constrict, have venemous bites, even eat eggs! They aren't domesticated as a species.. you don't get 'the domestic snake' like you have a domestic cat. You also get to have far more fun keeping them than you would with the average pet.. a cat or a dog will most likely just lie around your house with you. With a snake you can build its environment - you get the creative edge! You can get to know your snake and build its little world to suit it.. I would argue that you probably develop a much more intimate relationship with a snake than a cat.. (I have two and I have NO idea where they hang out when they aren't on my lap!) There are also the practical reasons detailed by Peanuts. No landlord can object to a furless animal in a tank...

Maybe there is the thrill factor too.. so many people are sh*t scared of snakes.. especially guys *waves snake at the scaredy cats* :P lol!!

I say all this but am not yet a snakey owner. Though in three or four weeks I should be *squeee!* These are the reasons I want one. Including the fact that they come in the most awesome array of colours! :)

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  12:13:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by siliconscience

I have two and I have NO idea where they hang out when they aren't on my lap!)

I totally disagree with that!

My cats are my little boys. I know exactly what they do, and how their mind works. They know i am their mummy, and love me loads.

I'm a little obsessed with my babies

But i really like your reasons Siliconscience. Better than mine! Lol

0.0.1 GALS

Edited by - n/a on 10/09/2008 13:24:55
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  13:00:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I have snakes because:
I'm not allergic to them
they are low maintenance
they are kept in your own home - you don't have to leave the house to walk them in the rain!
they come in a wide variety of species and morphs
they are a little unusual (but not uncommon)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  15:27:49  Show Profile
I keep snakes because....... I can!

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  16:06:46  Show Profile
i keep snakes and other reptiles because they are interesting and different.

love researching and learning about them....

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  16:11:19  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
I keep snakes due to my wife's breathing allergies, they are always interesting to watch and come in such a wide variety, that you will never find two snake that look identical.
Hope this helps.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  16:21:19  Show Profile
These are all perfect. Thank you so much.

Anybody else?

0.0.1 GALS
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  16:32:49  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
i think this question has been asked because reptiles in general are becoming more popular, like my OH peanuts said its a pet that landlords will let u have and so much more of a pet than a goldfish, all the points above are good points, i also feel once you start to handle a snake it is a good stress relief, i start to become more relaxed and chilled. they also mystify me, our snake peanuts wraps him self round the top of his light how did he get up there, what did he expect to find up there? snakes to me are probably the most perfect pet, your able to find pretty much any colour you could imagine feeding is easy and doesn't stink the house out. all in all snakes are cool

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  16:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I agree with all of the above, but especially the low maintenance of them. They only need feeding once a week and cleaning out once a month! Even my goldfish need daily feeding.

Plus they are amazing

As for Siliconscience saying you can't have an intimate relationship with a snake... well I've never had a cat or a dog down my bra, and I don't think you can get more intimate than that

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  17:19:19  Show Profile
Food prices compared to dogs and cats is something your mate could put. My corn costs me £35 a year on micky mice. Other animals cost alot more to feed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

121 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  18:25:32  Show Profile
Price of food.
Easy/Low Maintenance.
''Cool'' factors owning what people perceive to be dangerous.
Happy in enclosed spaces. My biggest issue with owing most animals is keeping them enclosed, corns seem happier in such an environment.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  09:41:11  Show Profile
The cost is amazingly low.
It costs me £32 a month (give or take) to buy meat for Sophie and the cats. Thats without dry food, and cat litter. Sophie costs me MUCH more than that due to all the bras and shoes she kindly decides to eat - although thats getting alot better now, as she has only eaten a pillow this month!

0.0.1 GALS
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

68 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  22:49:38  Show Profile
i read somewhere theres more exotic pets kept in england than dogs and cats
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  22:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I've had people ask me that as well,
To be honest, i do because they're not as common to keep as pets, and sometimes it's surprising how many friends invite themselves back to see your snake.

If anyone ever asks why I keep a snake because 'they don't do anything', it's surprising how many of them people have a fishtank.

Not only are they fun to have around, snakes are educational and nice to watch.
When cats and dogs decide to lose their outer-body coverings, you end up with hair everywhere, but with a snake you get a complete skin, and the hoover doesn't get blocked.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  17:04:14  Show Profile
snakes dont have the "wet dog" smell

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked