FEEDING
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  08:46:43  Show Profile
I bought my corn snake on September 2nd, and i fed him when i got home. He grabbed the pinkie immediately and ate it in about 5 minutes. September 5th, i dangled another pinkie in front of her and immediatly she struck it, and sucked it down in about 3 minutes. My friend came over to my house about 5 hours later and i gently took the corn snake out to show her ( i know i shouldnt have but i figured if i was gentle it would be OK) Sunday morning i found the pinkie that i fed her vomited out and sitting under one of her leaf hides. I tried feeding her that same day and she was totaly not interested. I tried the Next day and still, not interested. I didnt try to feed her today, but i will be trying to feed her tomorrow. What are the best methods and procedures for feeding?

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  09:33:28  Show Profile
I'm sure you are supposed to leave them for at least a week possibly 2 weeks after a re-gurge for there stomach acids to settle or something, so I wouldn't recommend feeding her tomorrow, leave her be for awhile, and let this be a lesson learned not to pick her up after eating, leave her a good 2 days, although I think you already knew that!!
I'm sure you will get more advice soon on the subject.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  09:48:39  Show Profile
Nicely said, Potter Fan.
I agree, but will add that all snakes will remember a re-gurge as much as you remember throwing your hoop up, after drinking too much. Its not a nice experience and if you watch it, it even looks stressful and painful. May be easier for hatchlings, as their teeth are smaller and softer and easier for the food to not get snagged on the way back out.
You need to wait, at the very least, a week for their stomach and throat to heal.(in normal otherwsie healthy snakes) close to death none feeders are different)
Give two days after feeding before handling, to allow the snake a head start to digest the food. As the food is digested with stomach acid, it takes a natural process, but if you pick it up and the food in its belly bursts, the snake has a stomach full of mouse guts that could rot before being digested, causing an infection.
Hope that helps

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:39:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
As above, leave it alone completely now until the weekend and if it won't eat, leave it completely alone until the next weekend.

Thanks for being honest about it so that others can see and learn from it.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  13:39:11  Show Profile
OK i was warmimg up a pinkie when i decided to check this forum first and i guess i should wait another week to feed her. If you thaw out a pinkie and the snake doesnt want to eat it, can you re-freeze and try again another time? or is the mouse now garbage?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  13:43:59  Show Profile
throw the mouse away, don't re-freeze any food you have defrosted already for you or you snake!!
Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  13:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
You should throw it away really - and If you have any other snakes don't feed them with it as you can pass on health problems... or so I've been told. If we have a refusal we always just bin it.

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:02:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
you CAN re-freeze them providing they've not been left out for hours. some snakes actually have a preference for frozen-thawed-refrozen-rethawed food.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:29:10  Show Profile
I thought it was a pretty bad thing if we do it with our own food so personally wouldn't do it for my snake!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:40:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I do it for my food too
thawing, refreezing and thawing again isn't any worse than leaving a mouse in the viv with the snake for 24 hours.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 10/09/2008 21:41:05
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:47:55  Show Profile
I think its just something I learnt from my mum, but after researching it, theres no health risk at all!!!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:52:38  Show Profile
Its just something parents say to you to get you to eat all of your dinner

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:58:08  Show Profile
no health risk that is, if it hasn't been left out for more than 4 hours apparently!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  00:27:53  Show Profile
Personally, i would not do it with anything big, such as rats or rabbits, but if you think about the natural circle of life...

A corn snake has not eaten for 2 or 3 weeks because of the harvest of corn or a crop burn (farmers burning crop stubs) and then it comes across a dead rat that has been there for 3 days. It would eat it, because it had to survive, and it would probably be ok doing that, so here is a question..............

Do you think that as vivs are near sterile, in comparison, we as keepers, are spoiling the natural immune system of reptiles?? New thread started.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  07:48:05  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
spot on mark, snakes will eat carrion, including road kills

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page