Where do you feed yours?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  23:32:19  Show Profile
Looking at the pictures posted on here of snakes feeding i thought id ask where you all feed and why.

I feed all of mine in the viv and on paper for the following reasons;

For me, the viv is the snakes home/bedroom/space/area and if i go in there, im fair game for a tag.
Not only from corns, but the others i have.
Outside of the viv, it is my space and they are in my territory.

IMO If i fed out of the viv, each time i took them out, they would expect to be fed and be on the lookout for food to strike at. They only come out to be handled.

I use one side of the viv for the food to go in and the other side of the viv for my hands to go in. If the right hand glass slides, they go for food; If the left hand glass slides, they dont even look up. (except one of the carpets, who can strike at shadows)

I feed them on strips of newspaper, which i place in the viv before the food goes in, to stop the mouse/rat/rabbit from picking up bits of wood (substrate) and being swallowed.

Some of the pictures on this forum could cause concern as to the risk of impaction due to swallowing chippings and not being able to pass them or digest them or even blocking the vent.
I know.

Just once, try it on paper, not chippings.

So, where do you feed yours? On what and why?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  23:38:45  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
i feed cecil on a small shelf that I fitted when I made his viv, i always dot the fuzzie aroud the viv. first so he gets the smell and comes hunting but like you say making sure no aspen sticks.
Luckily to date had no probs with swallowed substrate or non feeding other than when shedding.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  00:04:37  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Mine are fed i large plastic tubs, approx 18 x 12 x 10 inches.
2 of them know that inside the viv is home sweet home, outside the viv is happy jolly joy joy time to get handled/played with.
But if they go in their tubs, they KNOW it's dinner time.

One of mine was fed in the viv when younger, and because of this thinks that anything dinner shaped (fingers, hand etc) needs to be sampled to see if it is edible.
I've not yet been tagged properly, but i've been quickly sampled which is where she just spins round does all the strike movements, but doesn't open her mouth.

She is learning the difference now between her bed (viv), her climbing frame (me), and her dinner plate (plastic tub).

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  00:09:59  Show Profile
Tubs are good.
Snake in first, or mouse in first?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  09:20:59  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
i feed in a spare viv and tub, i try and feed all mine the same night

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  09:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
We feed in cat litter trays - easy to clean and the sides are high enough for the snakes to know it's their feeding place.

We have a nasty king that when we first got her was a non feeder so we fed in the viv (on flat stones so no substrate problems) this just made her even more feisty - now she's feeding she gets fed outside the viv in the cat litter trays like the rest and she's calmed down considerably (although every now and then she'll relapse and go for a tag!) she's great once out of the viv though!

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  09:36:04  Show Profile
We feed Snape in his old home now a plastic container about 18inches long, we put him in first then his dinner, would you recommend a certain way then Mark, snake or mouse first?

Edited by - n/a on 09/09/2008 09:36:29
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  10:25:23  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
i put the snake in first,then offer the food on tongs, otherwise the snake might get exited if it spots or smells the food as i`m trying to put it in

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:48:31  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I feed Dusk in a separate plastic tup, he knows he is going to be fed when he is put in there and I drop the pinkies in. He's not a striker so I'm not too worried about putting my hand in but I don't touch the pinkies so my scent is never on them anyway.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  12:13:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Mine are fed in large plastic tubs, approx 18 x 12 x 10 inches.
2 of them know that inside the viv is home sweet home, outside the viv is happy jolly joy joy time to get handled/played with.
But if they go in their tubs, they KNOW it's dinner time.

that's exactly what I do too with newspaper in the bottom so no substrate issues either.

with the left door/right door thing I'd never manage to reach across the 4ft viv!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  12:38:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I have a large flat rock under the heat lamp for my corn which I lay the mouse on. He knows where it is and there's no substrate.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:03:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by potter fan

We feed Snape in his old home now a plastic container about 18inches long, we put him in first then his dinner, would you recommend a certain way then Mark, snake or mouse first?

Its what ever is comfortable for you and Snape.
I would imagine that he is not in there for long before his food follows anyway.
Its just that my Carpets can and have taken 5 XL mice before now and its the old handling after a feed and whilst in feeding mode that i try to avoid.
Some, i can feed in my hand, but its best to stick to a comfortable routine and habit; especially with Jaundice, and you`ve seen him

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:04:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I have a large flat rock under the heat lamp for my corn which I lay the mouse on. He knows where it is and there's no substrate.

The Royals, i rest the mouse on the top of the hide. Encourages them out.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:26:05  Show Profile
loving the name Jaundice, thats appropriate!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:27:03  Show Profile
out of curiosity Mark do you house your corns together or not?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:44:26  Show Profile
quote:

out of curiosity Mark do you house your corns together or not?

I have two females together in a 3`viv, all my other snakes are seperate and live on their own in viv`s, except one who is lodging in Jaundices transport tub, until i get glass cut for his viv.
The two females have been together for over 3 years and they shadow eachother. I seperated them for breeding and they both sat looking out the glass, for the other one.
Seperated and monitored closely for feeding.
I have had no problems with them being together.

I can feel a debate coming on

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:48:29  Show Profile
we've already had that debate but i'm sure we'll have another and another!!
There's so many different opinions on the matter and each side is well argued, I wish it was easy for me to decide whether to house another with Snape, at the minute i've decided not to.
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:50:14  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
this is a broad debate
i keep pairs together and had no problems

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:50:54  Show Profile
quote:

we've already had that debate but i'm sure we'll have another and another!!
There's so many different opinions on the matter and each side is well argued, I wish it was easy for me to decide whether to house another with Snape, at the minute i've decided not to.

Snape is a male?
I would only house females together, not males; but like you say, different opinions.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  16:09:34  Show Profile
I feed henry out of her viv on a sheet of cardboard. Its got bits of mouse blood on it from me dangling the mouse's nose on it (which normaly has a bit of blood on it). She gets the scent straight away and will strike at anything.

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  17:11:19  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
I use a RUB for Angelina, some times just on a towel though depends where i am

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000