New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  09:55:03  Show Profile
i was just wondering if there is any air freshner type things that are avilable for vivs (especially my leo's) to hide/mask/get rid off any unpleasent smells, that i can put in the vivs.

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  17:44:53  Show Profile
I have never seen any and I doubt there are any reptile-friendly freshners. Most airfreshners are a can full of noxious chemicals that pollute the environment so would probably not be too healthy for snakes. How about getting natural essential oils to use in the same room? I wou;ld have thought these were safer? A bit girly but we shan't tell anyone! Of course I would never use them myself <cough>.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  20:08:37  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
You could always try using the same oder absorbers that are sold to lock oders for hamster toilets or cat litter trays. I know pets at home sell them, I doubt it would be harmful to your snake.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  22:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
If i ever want a deodoriser type thing for my viv, i just get some of my wood chips nice and wet, and put them straight on top of the heat mat.
10 mins later, it smells brilliant, like being in a forest.
Mind you that depends on opinion, my missus thinks it smells 'musty and damp'.
I have tried explaining it to her.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  18:03:47  Show Profile
cool idea. its not for my snakes. its for my smelly leo's...

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  19:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

cool idea. its not for my snakes. its for my smelly leo's...

Ah yes, did read that, but meant to say that i do that with my snakes, may work with others.

Award for incomplete reply of the day goes to............

ME!!!

/doh.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  21:33:18  Show Profile
Bicarbonate of soda in a glass in the viv for about an hour will suck up smells, mind you you will have to find the leo's alternative accomodation for that hour... but it will leave no nasty effects or chemicals in the actual viv. :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  23:54:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peanuts

Bicarbonate of soda in a glass in the viv for about an hour will suck up smells, mind you you will have to find the leo's alternative accomodation for that hour... but it will leave no nasty effects or chemicals in the actual viv. :)

How long does that last for?

Not being a critic, but id clean the viv.
I hoover the sand up, or just the very top of it, in my geckos & beardies viv. That way the cricketpoopgets hoovered and also their own, without disturbing the sand.
I use the same hoover that i hoover chimney flues with, so it has a good filter, but if you use your household hoover you will soon start to smell it being blown out, unless you empty it.

Geckos have a regular spot for 1`s & 2`s, so you could also place a lid from an ice cream tub in that spot and under the sand. That way, you can just lift it out, clean it and put it back.

Check under and behind everything, for the odd cricket leg or carcass too.

Not critising your husbandry, so please dont be offended

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  00:07:22  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
my beardie used to stink my rep room out

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  00:31:39  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
my beardie smells a bit... sweet/musty. not particularly nice but not as bad as Tartan smells sometimes. but i kinda just leave the window open and clean them both out the min i see any crap, and then once a week i take al lthe stuff out of Coopers cage and give it a good scour and take out dirtied wood chips etc.

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  15:55:48  Show Profile
i clean it out every couple of days.

stopping using crickets and going on to mealies for food cos i know crickets do smell.

i dont use sand as ive heard to many stories about compaction, so i use roofing slate.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  15:59:10  Show Profile
Slates good, holds the heat and keeps the claws down.
The sand i use is play pit sand which i seive and bake to clean it through.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  11:54:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mark

quote:
Originally posted by Peanuts

How long does that last for?

Not being a critic, but id clean the viv.
I hoover the sand up, or just the very top of it, in my geckos & beardies viv. That way the cricketpoopgets hoovered and also their own, without disturbing the sand.
I use the same hoover that i hoover chimney flues with, so it has a good filter, but if you use your household hoover you will soon start to smell it being blown out, unless you empty it.

Geckos have a regular spot for 1`s & 2`s, so you could also place a lid from an ice cream tub in that spot and under the sand. That way, you can just lift it out, clean it and put it back.

Check under and behind everything, for the odd cricket leg or carcass too.

Not critising your husbandry, so please dont be offended

Not offended at all, our snake doesn't smell and i don't have leos, but i read the thread as after cleaning out and following proper husbandry practices there was still a smell, because some smells linger even when the source is cleaned up. I was just saying that that will neutralise any left over smells :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  13:51:02  Show Profile
quote:

Not offended at all.....

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python