Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  10:14:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Cheers Lewy, couldn't agree more.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  10:14:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Cheers Lewy, couldn't agree more.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  10:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I just think that if you can't afford to house one snake seperately- then what are you going to do if they do breed and you've got 15-20 snakes to house seperately?

Hatchlings need to be kept individualy to avoid cannibalism. Even if they are all in RUBs, you still need to devise a way to keep them all warm and feed them.

It takes about 2-3 months before the hatchlings will be strong enough to be sold on. Breeding is not a cheap thing, so I'd say seperating them now would actually save you money in the long run.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  10:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I just think that if you can't afford to house one snake seperately- then what are you going to do if they do breed and you've got 15-20 snakes to house seperately?

Hatchlings need to be kept individualy to avoid cannibalism. Even if they are all in RUBs, you still need to devise a way to keep them all warm and feed them.

It takes about 2-3 months before the hatchlings will be strong enough to be sold on. Breeding is not a cheap thing, so I'd say seperating them now would actually save you money in the long run.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  17:55:52  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice guys. I am sure people are getting the wrong picture here lol.

I can afford and keep my snake. All I said was that I rather keep them together the now and if this magic happens again, I will be more prepared.

Will look into building a incubator tonight. Can anyone give any liinks on a easy to build one. Had a look around on the net, but the guides were quite confusing.

Thanks
Liam
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  17:55:52  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice guys. I am sure people are getting the wrong picture here lol.

I can afford and keep my snake. All I said was that I rather keep them together the now and if this magic happens again, I will be more prepared.

Will look into building a incubator tonight. Can anyone give any liinks on a easy to build one. Had a look around on the net, but the guides were quite confusing.

Thanks
Liam
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  18:53:40  Show Profile
i'm no breeder so haven't got a clue if this is any good or not but if it is, it seems pretty straight forward to follow

http://www.cornsnakefanclub.co.uk/incubator.html

you can also use the search tool on this site, just type in a key word 'incubator' and it will pull up previous posts on the subject. Its at the top of the page, by the way!

Edited by - n/a on 03/09/2008 19:00:58
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  18:53:40  Show Profile
i'm no breeder so haven't got a clue if this is any good or not but if it is, it seems pretty straight forward to follow

http://www.cornsnakefanclub.co.uk/incubator.html

you can also use the search tool on this site, just type in a key word 'incubator' and it will pull up previous posts on the subject. Its at the top of the page, by the way!

Edited by - n/a on 03/09/2008 19:00:58
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  19:10:30  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi mate and welcome, sorry but those eggs look like slugs, they might have been laid infertile, has the other snake ever been in contact with a male, because she might have stored sperm inside her, which they can do for quite some time, the reason i ask is, your snake might not be the father, because most snakes don`t reach sexual maturity till 18 to 24 months old, are you sure he is only 1 year old, out of interest how long have they been together
most important thing, if you can`t keep them seperate then make sure the female eats well, cause they use a lot of calcium up when they lay, and if she becomes gravid again then she could become egg bound, best of luck

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  19:10:30  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi mate and welcome, sorry but those eggs look like slugs, they might have been laid infertile, has the other snake ever been in contact with a male, because she might have stored sperm inside her, which they can do for quite some time, the reason i ask is, your snake might not be the father, because most snakes don`t reach sexual maturity till 18 to 24 months old, are you sure he is only 1 year old, out of interest how long have they been together
most important thing, if you can`t keep them seperate then make sure the female eats well, cause they use a lot of calcium up when they lay, and if she becomes gravid again then she could become egg bound, best of luck

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  19:21:05  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
forgot to add incubation at best conditions is normally 50 to 60 days, but they can take longer

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  19:21:05  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
forgot to add incubation at best conditions is normally 50 to 60 days, but they can take longer

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  21:09:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
they're DEFINITELY slugs - infertile eggs, they're a no-goer just chuck them in the bin.

as for housing a yearling with a fully grown adult you're just asking for trouble, use the search on the top right of the page and look up cohabiting snakes or viv sharing. they should DEFINITELY be kept separate due to the huge difference in size and the problems this can cause - fatality being the most severe.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  21:09:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
they're DEFINITELY slugs - infertile eggs, they're a no-goer just chuck them in the bin.

as for housing a yearling with a fully grown adult you're just asking for trouble, use the search on the top right of the page and look up cohabiting snakes or viv sharing. they should DEFINITELY be kept separate due to the huge difference in size and the problems this can cause - fatality being the most severe.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  21:12:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
read this
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=155&SearchTerms=slugs

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  21:12:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
read this
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=155&SearchTerms=slugs

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  22:23:10  Show Profile

Edited by - n/a on 03/09/2008 22:26:18
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  22:23:10  Show Profile

Edited by - n/a on 03/09/2008 22:26:18
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  22:33:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by saddleninja

Thanks ninja.

Not to my knowledge. I 99% sure it hasn't. theis the fist the female has been in contact with other snakes for the first time to my knowledges.

I gues they can have veins and be infertille to?...You guys must put alot of effort into this hobby!

Deffintly, it will just be over year old now.

Probs for about 3 - 4months now they have been together. I will make sure, she eats custom size rats!. I just started feeding my one fuzzies a few months back when it turned up out of the blue.

My fiend is quite worried that his may still have eggs in her. Do you know the best way to check?

Thanks for the help!
L
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  22:33:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by saddleninja

Thanks ninja.

Not to my knowledge. I 99% sure it hasn't. theis the fist the female has been in contact with other snakes for the first time to my knowledges.

I gues they can have veins and be infertille to?...You guys must put alot of effort into this hobby!

Deffintly, it will just be over year old now.

Probs for about 3 - 4months now they have been together. I will make sure, she eats custom size rats!. I just started feeding my one fuzzies a few months back when it turned up out of the blue.

My fiend is quite worried that his may still have eggs in her. Do you know the best way to check?

Thanks for the help!
L
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000