New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:02:58  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
hey guys, this has baffled me a little. I have been trying to maintain a even temp gradient but i seem to have some inconsistancies between the thermostate and the thermometer readings. The thermometer indicates 29C and stat is set to 26. Meanwhile the stats "on" light is lit, which indicates that it hasnt reached its set temp. Both probes are next to each other and are place inside the glass viv and directly inside the hide. The heat mat is under the viv.

equitpment i use:

Exo terra digital thermometer
Hydor HYDROSET Electronic Thermostat with temp dial (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?category=Hydor_HYDROSET_Electronic_Thermostat_with_temp_dial_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Heaters_Accessories&vendor=Hydor&SearchStr=hydroset&action=view&idProduct=HD03301&idCategory=FIHTHA)

How accurate are these thermometers or could this be a problem with the stat in which case is it worth getting a new one, maybe the Habistat pulse?

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:14:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Digital thermometers are much more accurate than Stats. Just adjust the stat until you get the reading you want on the thermometer.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:28:06  Show Profile
i agree with BE. i got digital thermometers on all my tanks and just installed new stats on them too. will adjust the stats in accordance to the thermometers reading as they are more accuate.

remember unless your useing a pulse stat you wont get a maintained temp, there will be a fluctuation cos of it reaching temp then switching off untill it drops below them switching back on again.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:32:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Or if you're using a lamp, use a Dimming Stat or your snake will be having a disco!

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:33:44  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
i just moved my second thermometer across and it reached the same value as the first, so you guys are right, the stat is inaccurate. ah well. not sure i can afford the upgrade to the pulse just yet. but maybe sometime soon. another question for you guys if you dont mind :). occasionally my cool zone fluctuates and the temp increases to 26-28C. little too warm for the cool side. any ideas on how to maintain an even heat gradient?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:35:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Are you using a heat mat? - If so, is it too big? (How much floor space does it cover, 1/3?

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:43:26  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
yeah the heat mat is under the glass viv. its just under half the size of the tank. should i get something smaller? currently i use a low voltage algarde.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  17:26:49  Show Profile
it should cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottom max.

if its uder the viv just slide it ait furthr out if you get wot i mean.

i never really worry about my cool side as its out of my control. you gotta have around 30*c in warm end, so wot ever the the cool end is it is set by that.

just had a look and its 30*c warm end and 26*C coool end.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  18:36:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
As Daz says, just slide the heatmat out a bit, moving the heatsource further from the cool end

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  20:29:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
As well as daz's good suggestion it's worth bearing in mind that the ambient room temperature varies so you'll get less of a gradient on a sunny day than a p*ssing down with rain day.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  17:59:51  Show Profile
also wen i had a glass viv found it was hard to maintain a constant temp cos the glass doesnt retain heat like wood and the ambeiant room temp will be more of a issue.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000