The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Egg Binding.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hillzi Posted - 15/05/2010 : 18:46:34
No flaming is meant by this, but on many forums I'm on I've seen a fair lot of cases of egg-binding, strangely enough it's been all over one certain snake section, more than last year..

Not a dig at anyones care of the reptiles though, has anyone else noticed this?

Just a question too - is there anything a breeder can do to prevent egg binding?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 16/05/2010 : 17:08:48
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Also, as the snake-keeping hobby is growing quite quickly you have more and more inexperienced keepers out there, diluting knowledge such as not keeping youngsters together.

....and the inexperienced throwing two snakes together to breed and THEN asking the most basic of questions on forums shows just how little some people are prepared for even routine stuff never mind any complications that may arise.
Blackecho Posted - 16/05/2010 : 10:10:15
You may find that people are trying to breed younger and younger to try and make money, at the expense of the snake's health.

Also, as the snake-keeping hobby is growing quite quickly you have more and more inexperienced keepers out there, diluting knowledge such as not keeping youngsters together.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/05/2010 : 23:06:20
Possibly, my snakes are way to young so i havn't even really thought about it. But if i did breed them i know i would make sure that they were fully healthy beforehand.

Sometimes even with the best of care these things happen. there are a few people on here who did the best for their snakes and they still became egg bound. One of Eeji's females became eggbound recently but after a trip to the vets managed to lay the rest of the eggs.
Sta~ple Posted - 15/05/2010 : 22:57:35
If that is the case I feel very very lucky that when mine were together she was alright when egg laying specially since she was a fussy eater.

I wonder if the increases of egg boundness will put people off breeding?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/05/2010 : 22:41:53
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I wonder of it's a genetics thing or a calcium or any vitamin deficiency or stress.

There must be many different reasons but apparently stress and a lack of calcium can contribute.

They use up alot of calcium making the eggs and because they often don't eat when gravid they can't really get any more causing them to become weak. From what i have read on here stress can also be a big factor. I remember somebody saying (Not sure who it was) that there is a much larger chance of a snake becoming eggbound if they are cohabited as the male will stress her out, also if she feels the eggs are in danger she can apparently hold onto them.

A breeder or a more knowledgable soul will have to confirm this though.
hillzi Posted - 15/05/2010 : 22:29:23
Probably. I'm on a fair few and egg bound snakes, not just corns, have cropped up a fair few more times this season.
Sta~ple Posted - 15/05/2010 : 20:54:53
Ah I see. I've only heard that term for like adding eggs to food to make it more soild and for when breeding birds can't lay eggies.

I'm the same as Danny really but it has really surprised me how many have become egg bound that I've heard on this forum. I would love to know why snakes become egg bound though and if it occurs this often in the wild as I can't really picture it happening that often to be honest. I wonder of it's a genetics thing or a calcium or any vitamin deficiency or stress. I guess if it was genetic the issue would solve it's self in the wild and I guess there would be no stress either and I don't know if snakes in the wild vary their diet if they feel the need of getting certain vitamins and know that different prey contain them.

Maybe it’s just been a bad year/few years.

DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/05/2010 : 20:42:52
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Egg binding? Is that like egg bound? Egg binding sounds like what you do in cooking >.<

Yes eggbinding is to become eggbound. Like many words it changes depending on the context it is used in.

I have also read about quit a few snakes becoming egg bound this year but wouldn't know wether it is more than usual as this is the only forum i am on and only joined up at the end of December.
Sta~ple Posted - 15/05/2010 : 20:21:28
Egg binding? Is that like egg bound? Egg binding sounds like what you do in cooking >.<

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000