The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Man-made problems?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
herriotfan Posted - 11/05/2010 : 17:58:43
I've learned from our sister site that Royal Pythons (spider morph) has something called 'wobbly-head' and it's basically because of people hybrid breeding. (Ok, our experts will tell me it's got some other name but I'm sure you'll understand what I mean!) Do you know of any man-made problems with cornsnakes? Are certain morphs more prone than others? I would be interested to hear of any known problems within the cornsnake world.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 14/05/2010 : 06:35:56
So in theory I agree it is possible, however, I'm still to be persuaded that one actually exists.
eeji Posted - 13/05/2010 : 23:43:51
i dunno, nobody seems to 100% know whether its lethal or not :(
Blackecho Posted - 13/05/2010 : 21:28:50
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

the spider morphs wobble isnt a 'mad made' problem.. the first spider morph found in the wild had a head wobble and so pretty much all spiders have it as its genetic and they all decend from the same one, spider siblings (which carry the gene for spider but dont display it) dont usually display the symptoms but they carry it - put two carriers together and any spider hatchlings will have the wobble,obviously some arent as affected as others but its present,
with corns theres idea's floating that blizzards are prone to be fussy eaters but im not convinced..my zero is a great little eater - he doesnt eat when blue but apart from that he strikes and constricts every time..
i seem to remember some one mentioning bloodreds being fussy eaters in a similar thread but im not sure..

edited to add..

iv read that kinks, abnormalities and other similar things can happen as a result of being incubated at the wrong temperature..things like organs missing and spinal problems, i guess that counts as a man made problem

Sorry Hannah, there is no such thing as a Het Spider. Spider is a dominant gene.

Sorry Matty, but there is such thing as het Spider - but because its dominant, it looks exactly the same as a homozygous Spider

Agreed (if there were a homozygous Spider )

there is

Never heard of one, thought it was presumed lethal?
hillzi Posted - 13/05/2010 : 19:34:34
IBD is what I meant..
eeji Posted - 13/05/2010 : 18:09:43
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:

quote:

quote:

the spider morphs wobble isnt a 'mad made' problem.. the first spider morph found in the wild had a head wobble and so pretty much all spiders have it as its genetic and they all decend from the same one, spider siblings (which carry the gene for spider but dont display it) dont usually display the symptoms but they carry it - put two carriers together and any spider hatchlings will have the wobble,obviously some arent as affected as others but its present,
with corns theres idea's floating that blizzards are prone to be fussy eaters but im not convinced..my zero is a great little eater - he doesnt eat when blue but apart from that he strikes and constricts every time..
i seem to remember some one mentioning bloodreds being fussy eaters in a similar thread but im not sure..

edited to add..

iv read that kinks, abnormalities and other similar things can happen as a result of being incubated at the wrong temperature..things like organs missing and spinal problems, i guess that counts as a man made problem

Sorry Hannah, there is no such thing as a Het Spider. Spider is a dominant gene.

Sorry Matty, but there is such thing as het Spider - but because its dominant, it looks exactly the same as a homozygous Spider

there is
mikerichards Posted - 13/05/2010 : 07:56:31

IBD = Inclusion Body Disease
[/quote]

I knew it was something like that!! thanks!
Am just glad i have never had to deal with it!
Blackecho Posted - 12/05/2010 : 22:50:26
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Do you mean the stargazing in boas? Its IBD, something bone disorder. Its also available in royal flavour too, and is incredibly contagious. In royals it tends to kill them very quickly, i heard of a method used a while ago about keeping a royal in with the boa, if it died the boa was killed.
IBD has no treatment, it has no means of being tested for either, the only way to truely diagnose is with a tissue sample, and that cant be done until the snake has died, so it does lead to a lot of vets crying IBD and euthanising a snake with no proof.

Are you also thinking MBD? Metabolic Bone Disorder? Common in leopard Geckos, or any lizards really, due to a lack of calcium in their diet their bones grow week and go bendy! we had one with MBD, she looked like she had rickets!

The head wobble on royals is only really prevalent in Spiders, they are a naturally occuring morph from the wild, and as such not really man made, but it can be exaggerated by breeding spider to spider.

IBD = Inclusion Body Disease
Blackecho Posted - 12/05/2010 : 22:49:15
quote:

quote:

quote:

edited to add..

matty18714 Posted - 12/05/2010 : 22:22:27
quote:

quote:

quote:

edited to add..

Oh dear, im doing A-level biology and im already getting lazy with my genetics terms
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:50:42
oh shes way to you to even ponder on that one. she was bought as a pet and bcoz she has stunning colours. thanks :D
mikerichards Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:49:16
Sometimes it doesnt affect them at all, they live a perfectly normal happy life.
If its not affecting her at all then dont worry about it, shes fine.
Personally, if your thinking about it, i wouldnt breed from her, sometimes kinks do inhibit the ability to pass eggs.
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:47:58
just curious our little lady doesnt seem affected by it, shes eating for well, shedding well and gettin used to being handled. she is moving about nicely. i'll keep an eye on it
eeji Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:47:41
quote:

quote:

edited to add..

mikerichards Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:39:45
quote:
Originally posted by shortyireland

mikerichards-- you mentions kinks for snakes there due to incubation are they dangerous for the snake? sorry to hi-jack our tiggs has a kink this is what we were told it was and she would grow out of it possibly even if she didnt it shouldnt affect her. was the info correct or someone talkin rubbish? she doesnt seem bothered by it anyway shes grand moving about and is grand being touched too

She will never grow out of the Kink, its there, its staying.
Some kinks are there anyway, it cant be helped.
But, incubating hot can cause the kinks also.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:35:27
Candy has a kink in her tail. Im not sure wether she hatched with it or had an accident, i always put it down to having an accident.

But it dosn't seem to affect her movement or anything. She moves and climbs fine, infact she spends most of her time climbing.

Edit: the one thing it does affect mind you is shedding. She always snaps the skin as it gets to the kink, i then let her run through some damp kitchen paper and it comes off rather easilly then.
Sta~ple Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:31:55
I've seen some pictures of kinky's, some snakes don't seem to be affected by it but other die soon after hatching. I think it really depends how how bad the kinks are and where they are but your snakey looks fine :)
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:29:30
mikerichards-- you mentions kinks for snakes there due to incubation are they dangerous for the snake? sorry to hi-jack our tiggs has a kink this is what we were told it was and she would grow out of it possibly even if she didnt it shouldnt affect her. was the info correct or someone talkin rubbish? she doesnt seem bothered by it anyway shes grand moving about and is grand being touched too
Sta~ple Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:21:47
Sunkissed corns are apprently more prone to having the stargazing effect. The problem didn't really occur because of inbreeding but inbreeding snakes together that carried the star gazing gene together made the snake more likely to be a star gazer to to carry that gene. What annoys me is that the breeder who noticed the sunkissed gene only retired one of the parents instead of both because she thought it was only one of them yet it was both.
HannahB Posted - 11/05/2010 : 23:41:32
quote:

quote:

edited to add..

whoops my bad..
i thought i read somewhere that spider siblings can still carry the gene for the wobble..guess not
matty18714 Posted - 11/05/2010 : 22:43:50
IBD can affect any group of snake, but is seen as less life threatening to boas, and quick to kill pythons (around 4 weeks). Colubrids fall somewhere inbetween.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000