The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Help needed with hatching eggs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tupolev Posted - 08/05/2010 : 12:54:22
Hi all I need a bit of help, my corn regularly lays 2 clutches each year but I can never get them to hatch I have read all the posts and cant see what Iam doing wrong.
Iam using a proper incubator the temp is held at about 27-28 degrees C. Iam using an ice cream tub full of damp vernicular and the humidity is a shade over 80 in the incubator.The icecream box has its lid on to keep it airtight. All the eggs came out nice and firm and white and have not been turned over. Where have I gone wrong. I have just started to incubate another clutch .
Many thanks for all your help in advance.
Best wishes Charlie
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 02/06/2010 : 23:38:23
just make sure they have a third of their rub over a heatmat, and that you're monitoring temps!!!
crazy JJ Posted - 28/05/2010 : 15:02:57
it doesnt matter where they go :D at the end of the day you will be seeling them wont u? they wont be near each other then :)

i stacked mine in a spare viv had 3 rows of 4 or something like that last year n hopefully do the same this year and they were fine :D
tupolev Posted - 28/05/2010 : 10:57:28
Hi all yep they will be seperated into individual boxes with a hide and water, hope this is ok can they be stacked in my spare viv or do they have to be side by side?
Best wishes Charlie
KITTYCAT Posted - 28/05/2010 : 06:59:16
Yeh wait till they have their first shed which should happen around 5 days give or take since hatching n remember to seperate them when they hatch.
crazy JJ Posted - 27/05/2010 : 17:53:23
i wait till they have had thier first shed then offer the pinkie n thats when the fun starts :D
tupolev Posted - 27/05/2010 : 14:00:49
Hi all so far so good she laid all the eggs succesfully and all but 2 look good nearly 3 weeks into incubation no dents in eggs, humidity 95 and temp 28.2 exact.Iam expecting them to hatch all being well around 20 June.
Once they hatch whats the best thing to do,I have individual boxes for them, but should I offer a small pinkie straight away or what.
Many thanks guys,
Best wishes Charlie
DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/05/2010 : 11:11:03
Might be worth taking your mobile number off your post mate. This is a public forum so anybody could see your number, don't want to be getting to prank calls now.

Maybe you could just put your email up, or put your phone number in your profile as people who aren't members can't see your profile.
n/a Posted - 15/05/2010 : 09:54:52
Hi
Im going through my 1st eggs ever so I am new at this but what I have done from what I have been advised here is: -
Polistireen box, heat mat at bottom on the heat mat i put 2 small chineese tubs (so the tub of eggs are not touching the heat mat).
There is a digital heat monitor and humidity monitor.
My eggs are in a small chineese tub (I only have 4 eggs) with verm in the bottom I made a whole for the eggs too lay in and then covered them with a light cover of the verm. Put the lid on.
I put a bowl of water in the incubator not in with the eggs so keep humidity up.
I can see the hunidity by the water drops on the lid.
Close the polistireen lid.
Every day I check the temp but once a week I open the lid to let new air in also the lid of the eggs to let fresh air in.
Other than checking and lettng new air in once a week I just leave them.
My temp is on 80-81 (drops when I open lid but soon get back up).
I hope this helps you.

*number removed - you dont want prank calls *
tupolev Posted - 13/05/2010 : 09:29:57
Hi all might have a problem .It looks like she has not laid all the eggs yet,even though it appeared that she had, with about 20 laid on sun, yesterday she clearly had a bump near her tail and overnight another was laid and I can see another bump forming, should I just leave her to get on with it or take her to a vet we have a good reptile expert. I have put the lay box back in .Best wishes Charlie
PS. I left the eggs in the viv on sun, till I thought she was well finished. she laid the clutch during the night and i left them in till nearly noon
tupolev Posted - 11/05/2010 : 10:43:47
Hi all just one final thing I have a hydrometer, actually in the egg box and the reading is about 95, its the most I can get,I have also covered them with fresh spagnum and gave a light misting my vernicular was quite wet when i put in the box it clung together,
Thanks for all your help most kind. Best wishes Charlie
tupolev Posted - 11/05/2010 : 00:22:11
Hi guys many thanks for all your help I will let you know what happens.For the record Iam using Herp Nursery 2 incubator.
Best wishes Charlie
eeji Posted - 10/05/2010 : 18:21:59
^^^ what Mike said :D
mikerichards Posted - 10/05/2010 : 16:37:25
The range for the eggs temp wise is 21 - 33 degrees. over 33 will kill them before you get a chance to lower it, so best not go there!
The sagging is caused by dehydration, so you best bet is to give them a thorough spray with a mister.
As for the container the eggs are in, it wants to be pretty much sealed, maybe 2 holes, but not in the top, only in the sides, otherwise the humidity goes out through the holes and you are back to square one.
My eggs boxes do not have any holes in them at all, and they are all really really healthy, i just open up once a week, have a quick peek and the air changes itself in that time.
The moss you have put ontop, its no biggy if it covers the eggs, air can move through it no problems, just make sure its damp.
With these eggs, everything needs to be damp, not wet, if it drips then its too wet, it should be soaked but not dripping, but add any more water and it will drip, thats perfect, its hard to get perfect though, but this is not an exact science, a little too much water is fine, not quite enough is also fine. I use vermiculite to cook the eggs, with this i soak in water and wring it out, by squeezing only, once i cant get any more water out, thats what gets used, and it kinda sticks in a ball like, well like sticky stuff, and it sticks to everything, it horrible!!
Put that in your egg box, place eggs onto that, maybe bury them a little, them close the lid and leave them be, make sure the temps are roughly 27 - 28, 27.5 ideally, but unless you have a dimmer or a pulse stat you wont get that spot on all the time!
My dimmer and pulse stat are at 27.5 and 30.5, they vary by about 0.2 of a degree, that i have seen.
THe 30.5 is the incubator with the royal eggs in, dont do corn eggs that hot!
Azzheasman Posted - 10/05/2010 : 16:18:21
I had horrible problems with humidity, killed off half my eggs within the first few days, i keep mine in a polystyrene box, in chinese food containers raised about an inch off a heat mat with a thermostat in it to keep it at the right temp (around 28 i keep mine at ive heard you can go to 32 but can be bad for the eggs i wouldnt go lower then 27 either) the chinese food containers (the plastic kind) with holes in the lid and holes in the sides has the probe for the hyrometer is in the chinese containers, and the thermostat is IN the vermiculite, as far as i could tell theres no point in the things full of water in the polystyrene box its not the humidity in the main compartment that counts and it just soaks the heat mat, its the humidity in the boxes with the eggs that is important. The eggs want to be on wet/damp vermiculite and get a good spraying every day, i followed all the instructions i could for jays eggs and half died, i did this with milkies and the eggs have all been perfect so far, when you spray them open the lid fully and let new air in, mine are due any day now ill let you all know how it turned out, i think the main thing is use your initiative if they look good, smell good (by good i mean not like rotten eggs :P) and the numbers are close enough your doing fine.
tupolev Posted - 10/05/2010 : 13:25:25
Hi yep there are holes 8 of them I noticed that some have started to collapse like if they are dehydrating even though I have 2 bowls of water in the incubator and the temp is 28 C .I have also put some spagnum in around the eggs where there was space, without totally covering them. Is this ok?
Best wishes Charlie
hiper2009 Posted - 10/05/2010 : 13:14:27
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

She is double clutching, nothing particularly dramatic about it, she she wasnt capable, she wouldnt do it! A few of mine regularly double clutch.

Well said ^^ .
mikerichards Posted - 10/05/2010 : 12:13:07
She is double clutching, nothing particularly dramatic about it, she she wasnt capable, she wouldnt do it! A few of mine regularly double clutch.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 10/05/2010 : 11:48:00
You do have air holes in the lid or on the sides of the ice cream tub right?
tupolev Posted - 10/05/2010 : 10:43:10
Hi All
just one more question I have put an extra jar in with water as advised, but with an airtight lid on the icecream box that has the eggs init, wont lack of oxygen near hatching time be an issue. Many thanks .Best wishes Charlie
Mouse Posted - 10/05/2010 : 10:11:10
Try putting an extra jar of water in there to add to the moisture level.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000