The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 how often should you mist the eggs?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mouse Posted - 04/05/2010 : 11:43:27
Yeah...how often should you mist the eggs?

The humidity in my incubator settled at about 80% and refuses to go higher, Even with 2 jars of water, and a bowl of water in there over the heat mat. *sigh*

The highest temp in there is 28C and the lowest has been 22.5 C. It's statted, but I can't do anything about the swing of temp :(

The 7 eggs that are white are full and quite solid, the rest of the yellow ones are also 'full' and not sagging, altho some will have to come out as they're going mouldy...Bleh.

I've been misting lightly once a day.

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 11/05/2010 : 08:41:13
Fab, thanks guys! :D
mikerichards Posted - 11/05/2010 : 07:53:21
I mist mine as and when they need it, which is rarely, but its never done them any harm, i just keep the mister in the snake room anyway, and its near on 28 degrees in there, so is slightly warmer than the eggs.
Obviously don t mist with cold water straight out the tap, thermal shock!
Kitchen roll is fine, soak it then lay over the eggs, again, dont soak it in cold water, they dont like it!
If you are suffering from dehydrating eggs, then the vermiculite wasnt wet enough, it should be able to hold enough moisture for the entire incubation period. Some damp moss would be best, lay it over the eggs, its wont harm them.
Sta~ple Posted - 10/05/2010 : 19:27:37
They probably are the little ones, I got shadows that I saw really boldly 2 weeks before my hatched, maybe yours are just going to hatch as big snakes lol.
Mouse Posted - 10/05/2010 : 10:07:10
ummmmm....she finished laying around the 22-23 of April...sooo I worked out 2nd week June ish as pipping time.

Although saying that, these ones were laid first, about a week beforehand...sooooo *shrugs*

When I saw the shadows, it reminded me of the pic of eggs just pre-pip, but I didn't think that they'd hatch so soon ??!!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 10/05/2010 : 09:14:59
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

All my white eggs have a 'shadow' spot on the top of them....is that bad? It's not 'black', and not mould.

Could that be the snakes getting ready to come out?

How long ago did you start incubating?
Mouse Posted - 10/05/2010 : 09:10:13
Right, Mike origionally said damp kitchen roll, but it stuck to the egg, so I carefully took it off, as I figured that was a bad thing.

Just as a point of interest, how does it damage the eggs? does it drown them, or suffocate them, or rot them or what?

All my white eggs have a 'shadow' spot on the top of them....is that bad? It's not 'black', and not mould.
eeji Posted - 09/05/2010 : 16:47:02
there is no need to 'mist' the eggs. If the vermiculite is damp enough and the tub doesn't have too much airflow then humidity should hold itself. If it doesn't, then use damp moss or kitchen roll over the eggs.
Misting just increases the chances of damaging the eggs.
KITTYCAT Posted - 09/05/2010 : 15:05:55
I did mist the eggs but only very lightly, it was mainly the vermiculite, i did this every few days if it needed it but taking care not to over wet the eggs
Mouse Posted - 05/05/2010 : 10:54:46
I've got 2 bic pen width holes.

The eggs look fine, nice and plump and not saggy etc.

I should have put in some irrigation system before putting the eggs in!

To be fair, if I do breed her again (which I'm not gonna do for at least another year, possibly 2 to let her recover, as she got eggbound) I'll set up a proper incubator, rather than a DIY jobby :D
Sta~ple Posted - 05/05/2010 : 09:28:22
I have no idea if I'm honest. I would only put the damp moss or kitchen towel over them for 24 hours and then see how they look from there. You could dampen some kitchen roll and put it in the corner of the container the eggs are in that way the vermiculite can absorb the moisture when needed. The kitchen roll will probably need re-damping every day.

How many air holes do you have in your tub? You could try lowering the amount.
Mouse Posted - 05/05/2010 : 08:33:46
oh ok, so why would you put damp/wet tissue paper on the eggs themselves, rather than misting them directly?

would misting them directly drown/kill them?

(mine are in vermiculite)
Sta~ple Posted - 05/05/2010 : 06:49:24
I thought you misted the substrate. Maybe getting something damp like moss or kitchen roll would be better? Or I guess you could put the nozzle of the sprayer really close to the substrate and spray.
Mouse Posted - 05/05/2010 : 00:04:44
Cool, just as a note, what are you meant to mist then? (can't mist substrate without getting the eggies)

would the mist on the eggs damage them then? :S

ta
xx
eeji Posted - 04/05/2010 : 19:21:47
a pulse stat would keep a steady temperature with probably half a degree either side, but if you change over now you'll run the risk of overcooking the eggs while you set it to the correct temperature so keep going as you are.
if the eggs start sagging then damp sphagnum moss over the top of them will help them rehydrate.
lee2308 Posted - 04/05/2010 : 17:06:43
you should never spray the eggs just add water to the substrate and try removing the tubs of water as these are probably absorbing all the heat
Sta~ple Posted - 04/05/2010 : 16:08:20
Try ;leaning the mould off with a cotton bud. Although it is rare for mould to get transefered to healthy eggs, it does happen I imagine.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000