The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 How many eggs??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AngelX Posted - 02/05/2010 : 20:05:11
Hello,
I want to breed my male snake next year, I'm getting a female in the next couple of months.
I'm not breeding the snakes for a business, just for pleasure and selling the babies for a small amount.
So I was wondering how many times I need to put a male in with the female to produce the least amount of eggs possible without risking having an infertile clutch
Thanks!!
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AngelX Posted - 15/05/2010 : 09:53:24
Thank you!! Totally get it now
mikerichards Posted - 06/05/2010 : 22:55:59
You can generally see straight away that a corns eggs are infertile, they are small and generally off colour from the start.
If a corn lays a duff clutch then the chances of double clutching successfully are pretty remote. A bad clutch generally comes from either a really old snake, or a really young, either way you wont get a second clutch.
Putting the male back in with her after a failed clutch, or even a good one is bad practice, it shouldnt be done, no matter how healthy the female looks. Producing eggs put a huge strain on the mother health, she has to produce huge amounts of calcium to make the eggs and she takes that from her own reserves, so generally leaves quite a skinny snake behind!!
My anery motley double clutched late last year, she is 4ft, and was weighing in about 450g, by rights she should be in prime condition to breed from, however, her backbone was clearly visible, she was technically underweight, i have had to feed her rat weaners to get the weight back on her for this season, shes only just big enough and i am still shoving them down her neck, so even if she doesnt produce, shes still got her healthy weight back!
It just goes to show that its not just size and weight that play a part in breeding, a big girl can be of adequate size and weight, but still be at serious risk if she was to breed!

TO be honest, the chances of you getting a completely infertile clutch is remote at best, you might get 1 or 2, but i would imagine that you get a good clutch of about 15 good eggs. just prepare the mother, condition her long before you attempt to breed her.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 20:41:26
Ohright. Even if an infertile clutch was laid, if you had put the male in you may not know that they were infertile untill incubating them.
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 20:03:07
Angel x asked if a infertile clutch was laid could you breed again or do you have to wait , soz should of post repling link
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 19:42:48
quote:
Originally posted by mischang

eggs take a lot from a female to breed her again would more than likely case her to become ill she will need to regain her weight and start feeding again properly

There was no mention of multiple clutches from the same female?

Also snakes retain sperm so can double clutch without being introduced to the male again after laying.
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 19:36:42
eggs take a lot from a female to breed her again would more than likely case her to become ill she will need to regain her weight and start feeding again properly
AngelX Posted - 06/05/2010 : 18:30:14
THANK YOU!! That was very helpful!
eeji Posted - 03/05/2010 : 23:32:29
quote:
Originally posted by AngelX

Thank you!
I heard that you had to put him in with her for a series of days! Thanks!
Also, Is there a chance of her producing an infertile clutch? If so, if she did, would you be able to put the male straight back in with her or do you have to wait a while?
Sorry if that's an awkward question!

If you get an infertile clutch, then its best to leave the female until the year after. If in the following year you get another infertile clutch then I'd personally retire her from breeding because its putting an unnecessary strain on her.

If you want morphs in the first generation, you need to look for anything with the following:
Amel
Caramel
Ultra
Motley
Stripe

....or combinations that include these. The best combos would be Butter, Golddust, Ultramel, or Ultra Caramel and for a bonus add stripe or motley too.

Combinations that include the base morphs you already have plus others would give some nice project animals, so the skys really the limit depending on your favourite cornsnake colour.
AngelX Posted - 03/05/2010 : 17:48:16
Ohh Okayy!! :)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 17:31:29
quote:
Originally posted by AngelX

I think he only carries the caramel gene,
So it would be best to get a female who has the Amel gene somewhere right?
Many thanks :)

If you want amels then yes.
AngelX Posted - 03/05/2010 : 17:08:30

I think he only carries the caramel gene,
So it would be best to get a female who has the Amel gene somewhere right?
Many thanks :)

DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 13:39:11
If your snake is deffinitely only het caramel the only hatchlings you could get are Amels, Caramels and Butetrs.

You could caramels with a caramel or het caramel female
Butters with a butter or caramel het amel female
and Amels with a female which is het amel or carries the amel gene, eg Amel, Butter, Snow and a few others.
AngelX Posted - 03/05/2010 : 13:22:08
You have all been very helpful!
Yeas I will definately do my research! I really want pretty babies so any suggestions?
Mine is a Stripe Amel het. Caramel,
I know the obvious ones like Butter and Opal, any others?
Many Thanks!
mikerichards Posted - 03/05/2010 : 11:25:58
Sadly you cant choose how many fertile eggs you get, or how many eggs you get in a clutch, you might get 10 you might get 30, depends on the size of the female mostly. Out of that you might get a couple of infertiles, or you might get all in fertile, its impossible to tell.
One thing you need to be sure of is that the female is fit and healthy and of a good size, its all very well breeding small for a small clutch, but you run the risk of killing the female through a great number of complications. The rule is of 3's, 300g, 3 foot, 3 years old. This is not set in stone, females dont all of a sudden become fertile at 3 years old, they can infact be bred from about 18months, but this is highly dangerous and shouldnt be done, no matter how great the temptation.
Before you go out and buy a female, do a little research, there are a great number of different colour morphs available, and some will be better suited to the male you wish to put her with!!

Good Luck
AngelX Posted - 03/05/2010 : 09:58:28
Ohh No!!!
Thank you anyway!!
I can only hope for the best i guess :(
Thanks for the help :D
HannahB Posted - 02/05/2010 : 21:11:56
most breeders put their snakes together more than once just to make sure that they will get a fertile bunch,
its probably not a good idea to try and breed them again straight away.. although you may have an idea as to whether the clutch is successful you wont know until about 2months/60days after laying,its best to breed once a year
breeding although it looks easy comes with many risks.. the biggest one being death to the female.. this year quite a few members have lost snakes through no fault of their own when breeding them
AngelX Posted - 02/05/2010 : 20:19:52
Thank you!
I heard that you had to put him in with her for a series of days! Thanks!
Also, Is there a chance of her producing an infertile clutch? If so, if she did, would you be able to put the male straight back in with her or do you have to wait a while?
Sorry if that's an awkward question!
eeji Posted - 02/05/2010 : 20:11:35
one mating is usually enough, and you don't have a choice in how many eggs there are - you get what she gives you :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000