The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 unplanned breedin

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 16/04/2010 : 22:49:42
as u can tell i'm a newbi from the subject i think i made the classic mistake ov puttin my 2 corn snakes 2gether after 1 off the heat lamps stopped workin i thought it would be ok 2 put them 2gether while i got a replacement bulb after watchin them for a while 2 make sure they don't fight the bigger 1 which we knew was male but wasn't sure on the sex of the smaller 1 now female lol decided to breed i have now seperated them n got her viv ready 4 her to lay eggs but findin it hard 2 find a cheap way ov buildin a incubator as want to keep the eggs.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 08/05/2010 : 00:01:31
If she is as small as suggested, do not put them together again, at least until she is big enough. There is a chance that nothing happened, it can take a while for first timers, one of mine even got the wrong end!
Underage breeding can have some bad effects, none worse than killing the female, especially if he is underweight already.
I suggest you get as much food into her as she will eat, if she eats six mice, then fine, go with it, because at some point she will stop eating, and if shes already underweight, then you are heading for trouble. Underweight snakes are more likely to become egg bound as their bodies are not strong enough to deal with the stress, and being eggbound will 100% kill the snake unless treated, and thats very expensive worst case scenario.

Incedentally, ideally you want to be using heatmats for corns, not heatlamps, corns rely on gaining heat through their bellies, not through the air.
Dont be tempted to put them together again just to make sure, its not worth the health and possibly the life of the snake.
I hope for the snakes sake that nothing comes of this, but only time will tell.

Please do a little research, find out the things you need to know, preparation prevent p*ss poor performance!
Use the search, theres loads of threads with vast amounts of info on breeding, i have written a lot myself, so i know its there!
Incubators are relatively inexpensive, but you will need to spend atleast 40 quid if you dont have a spare Stat.
n/a Posted - 07/05/2010 : 10:03:39
Hi I have just gone through the same thing please look at my post in the health section under laying eggs but too skinny in there everyone has helped me alot and now my girlis fine and healthy.
Please read through there everyone gave me detailed info and advise.
Hope all goes well for you.
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 12:39:46
i hope she will be ok been so small
Mouse Posted - 19/04/2010 : 18:30:52
We got a big poly box from Asda fish section. They gave it to us for free, as the guy who was on the counter had snakes :D

Good luck!!
Lilpunk Posted - 17/04/2010 : 07:47:39
How big is logan, in your other post you said she was about 2ft - that's very small for breeding, and if she's two years old it's even smaller. We stick to 3 years, 3ft, 300g at least for every breeding female - but good luck with it, I hope she's ok! There really is no especially cheap way of breeding - most of the time anyway; you're still going to have to buy separate RUBs (really useful boxes) for all the little hatchlings when they're born, the small expense of making the incubator, feeding the hatchlings at least once/twice before you sell them, heating the RUB's efficiently without cooking the little mites - there will be a fair bit of money spent if things are done properly; but that's just what I think - some might say it's easier and cheaper than I've said it is, but it's always easier to assume it won't be, and have the money necessary to do the job well if things go wrong.

There are lots of topics in the DIY section on building incubators, as said before - use the search button - and if nothing can be found on there, patience will get you places as someone will always reply to your posts on here, we like to help, it's what the forum is for after all. I wish you the best of luck, and do ask those questions that you can't find the answer to without our helpful button, and we'll always reply. Sorry for rambling on

Lil xx

*Edited for spelling
Kellog Posted - 17/04/2010 : 05:29:02
How sure are you that Logan is gravid Craig?

xxx

Kehhlyr Posted - 17/04/2010 : 02:41:59
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Kehhlyr, any chance you could move this over to the bredding section?

Done.
Didn't notice it was in the wrong section.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 17/04/2010 : 02:07:11
Kehhlyr, any chance you could move this over to the bredding section?
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/04/2010 : 02:04:05
Alternatively if you read the responses to your posts, you would notice that the first response you got from your first post was:
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Hi Craig, welcome to the forum. Check out the search button at the top right of the page then ask anything your not sure about. We are a friendly bunch here :)

Search button, one of the best things invented.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 17/04/2010 : 00:30:14
Make her a laybox out of a tupperware tub of something similar, cut a whole big enough for your snake and smooth with some snadpaper. put some damp vermiculite or moss in there and you have yourself a lay box.

I think there is a guide to making an incubator in the snake D.I.Y section.

Could you also try to post in the relevant section, this is the photos section, you want the breeding section.

You may also get a few more helpfull replies over there.
n/a Posted - 16/04/2010 : 23:00:21
i have put a cave in her viv with peet in about a 2 inch layer wasn't advised if to put a heat mat under peet
Figs Posted - 16/04/2010 : 22:57:18
i'm not 100% on incubating snake eggs, but i 'built' myself an incubator for my leopard gecko eggs
how different can the two be? ;)

i basically got a cool box, stuck a box with some moist vermiculite, a heatmat & stat and a digi thermometer in there and open it once a week for air exchange. Simples!
...not sure on how well it works yet, but my eggs have been in there for about 40 days and they are growing nicely

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000