The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Locked!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mouse Posted - 10/03/2010 : 23:03:50
I weighed Sprockett today (625g) and as she was twitching all over the place, I decided to take Gobo out and see if they were at all interested.

She was round my neck and he started keening at her and rubbing, and she seemed up for it. I wasn't up for it round my neck though, so I moved them into the viv (having taken the hide and water out incase they trashed the place) and she laid down, he calmly sat on her, they locked within half a minute and stayed there calmly for an hour. (not that I was timing it!)

I've heard so many things about snakes going mental, chasing each other etc, I was a little surprised at my snake being such a hussy!

As soon as I saw that they weren't gonna trash the place, I put the water back in, and when they'd done I put the hide back in (as I didn't want to disturb them mid-lock as it were! - twould iritate me! )

The sheet says to leave them for a coupe of weeks, and as they're all snuggled up in the hide, I figured I'd leave them to it!

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 15/03/2010 : 12:36:31
Thanks!!
mikerichards Posted - 12/03/2010 : 16:04:16
If she doesn't want larger meals then its fine to give her smaller food, as she starts to grow the eggs she won't want large foods as she won't be able to pass them, and she knows that. So, small and more often is fine, wouldn't hurt to add a bit of calcium dust to food either.

If you have a corn that will take weaners then he's a monster! My biggest can only just manage one, and he's 5ft+!
hiper2009 Posted - 11/03/2010 : 10:52:38
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:

There is a rough feed guide somewhere but a general rule of thumb is that a corn can eat a prey item whos girth is around 1.5 x the girth of your snakes widest part. If there is a small - no bump after a feed then the food you are giving is too small.

I could say your wrong about this bit , when they are adults and lets say its on a jumbo mouse and it dont show a bump it does not mean you should move them up to weaner rats because its not showing a bump. This is what my herp vet was telling me a few weeks ago

Actually Hiper thats a good point, once they are fully grown and get to a good weight you should start putitng them on a maintenance diet.

Correct
DannyBrown91 Posted - 11/03/2010 : 09:14:49
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:

There is a rough feed guide somewhere but a general rule of thumb is that a corn can eat a prey item whos girth is around 1.5 x the girth of your snakes widest part. If there is a small - no bump after a feed then the food you are giving is too small.

I could say your wrong about this bit , when they are adults and lets say its on a jumbo mouse and it dont show a bump it does not mean you should move them up to weaner rats because its not showing a bump. This is what my herp vet was telling me a few weeks ago

Actually Hiper thats a good point, once they are fully grown and get to a good weight you should start putitng them on a maintenance diet.
Mouse Posted - 11/03/2010 : 08:05:05
I'm happy feeding her med mice, but she doesnt seemt to want them, she'll go for the smaller one on offer.

I guess I'm just aware that if she gets gravid I don't want her starving.
hiper2009 Posted - 11/03/2010 : 00:57:50
quote:

DannyBrown91 Posted - 11/03/2010 : 00:23:45
You could try offering her small feeds but not too often. Snakes don't digest in the same way as mammals so can't handle eating regularly. Also it isn't advised to feed 3 items per feed.

Sprocket is the femals right. If so then by looking at her pics that you put up in the morph section it looks like she should certainly be on small - medium mice.
Mouse Posted - 10/03/2010 : 23:15:04
Before I dropped the temp (New years day) she was eating 3 large-ish fuzzy/fluff (different places have different terms!) I was told she should be on a large mouse, but to wait till after.

When she warmed up, on the 25/feb I gave her a fluff and 'small mouse' (looked big to me!) and tis all she wanted. Again on her 2nd feed, she only took 1 of the proffered mice (again a 'small mouse!) I was going to feed her today, but she refused and kept trying to get to Gobo's viv. I took the hint.

I dunno if she'll be up for huge amounts of food, should I try her on fluffs - kinda small amount and often?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 10/03/2010 : 23:07:35
You could leave the male in there and keep them together or you could keep introducing the male and then seperating them again, this way you also know how many times they had locked.

Remember that as soon as the female goes off her food to stop introducing them.

Hopefully she will become gravid and you will have a few little snakes in no time :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000