The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Keeping corns together

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 24/02/2010 : 09:43:44
Hi

I was wondering when can you keep male & female corn from? Are they OK to keep together from about 7 months or will they breed to early?

Thanks, Vicky
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 26/02/2010 : 15:13:22
On the flip side, I have kept males with males and females with females and never had any trouble, no biting, no manic creatures and no eating each other. I have never had males fight, although did have one try and rape the other, he is a bit of a filth bag, exceptional at his job! Obv they were separated after that, but since then no issues. I tend to hibernate groups, mostly its less space being used, I can also be sure they are all at same temps, and I don't need to have all 20 or so heatmats running. As said, never had any major issues, only the incident with the hurricane motley!
Kellog Posted - 26/02/2010 : 04:28:29
Polcher - I just want to thank you for sharing your experience with us. A lot of us have never housed corns together, have heard lots of differing opinions on it....and I know that from what I have researched (on here and elsewhere) it is not something I would ever do and I would try and talk someone out of doing it...BUT it is always good to hear of someone who has actually done it and now has reasons to believe that co-habiting is not a good idea. I know Elament is seeing the difference in Xena since she was removed from sharing a viv, so that is another direct experience from a forum member.

It is great knowing the theory, but having actual examples as to why is shouldnt be done always helps.

xxx
DannyBrown91 Posted - 25/02/2010 : 16:31:00
quote:
Originally posted by Polcher

As said it was done to se what the outcome would be to prove i was right...
There are 3 ways to house snakes that i can think of; keep them in groups, keep them seperated in cages and the using of rack systems.

I cant say that this is the way it is done, only that this is how the people i know and talk to are doing it.
In Sweden most keepers (like 90%) use the group option.
In the US most of them seems to use rack systems.
UK and Germans seems to be prefering the one animal per cage way.

Most keepers here in Sweden that i have been in contact with are keeping their snakes in groups while i have been using the other way - to keep them seperated in cages (i have tried rack systems but didnt like it except for housing all the babies).
I have always been convinced that snakes should be kept seperated and this was a way to prove to myself and my friends that "my way" was better.
I got the result i expected in the offspring and apperently i managed to get thru to some people as they changed their whole setup after this, so im happy i did it and that it ended up improving the living standard for my friends several hundered snakes.

Ahh i see.
mikerichards Posted - 25/02/2010 : 13:04:56
Unless you have some way of separating as mentioned then don't do it at all.
Seeing as you have a young pair, then it shouldn't be done under any circumstances, the male will be willing and able long before the female is.
n/a Posted - 25/02/2010 : 05:20:27
As said it was done to se what the outcome would be to prove i was right...
There are 3 ways to house snakes that i can think of; keep them in groups, keep them seperated in cages and the using of rack systems.

I cant say that this is the way it is done, only that this is how the people i know and talk to are doing it.
In Sweden most keepers (like 90%) use the group option.
In the US most of them seems to use rack systems.
UK and Germans seems to be prefering the one animal per cage way.

Most keepers here in Sweden that i have been in contact with are keeping their snakes in groups while i have been using the other way - to keep them seperated in cages (i have tried rack systems but didnt like it except for housing all the babies).
I have always been convinced that snakes should be kept seperated and this was a way to prove to myself and my friends that "my way" was better.
I got the result i expected in the offspring and apperently i managed to get thru to some people as they changed their whole setup after this, so im happy i did it and that it ended up improving the living standard for my friends several hundered snakes.

DannyBrown91 Posted - 24/02/2010 : 22:33:29
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

As it has been said it is best not to co habbit for variuos reasons.

Polcher, if you knew the risks of co habbiting and had the space that you didnt need to, Why did you?

Sorry if it seems a bit harsh but it sounds somewhat careless to me.

there is no evidence that the female died due to being co housed, it could have been one of many many factors that affect breeding snakes every year.

I knew that it may not had been down to that, i just wondered other than for an experiment why he did it.
eeji Posted - 24/02/2010 : 20:38:06
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Polcher, if you knew the risks of co habbiting and had the space that you didnt need to, Why did you?

there is no evidence that the female died due to being co housed, it could have been one of many many factors that affect breeding snakes every year.
SexyBear77 Posted - 24/02/2010 : 19:19:08
quote:

Last year i took a different approach as an experiment and housed all of the corns in groups of 3 the whole year except for the winter rest and during egglaying where i ofcourse had them seperated.

i was stupid and wanted to prove a point, but atleast it made a couple of friends realize that they should house their snakes separated.
-------

Danny, I think this is the answer you are looking for.

Polcher has freely admitted he thinks it was stupid- what more needs to be said?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 24/02/2010 : 19:11:21

SexyBear77 Posted - 24/02/2010 : 17:21:34
quote:

I usually keep all my snakes (all spieces except the E. emoryi as their cage was originally made to house 3 iguanas and is the same size as a small room with plenty of places to hide) separately for 11 months of the year and together for the last one only to allow them to breed.
Last year i took a different approach as an experiment and housed all of the corns in groups of 3 the whole year except for the winter rest and during egglaying where i ofcourse had them seperated.
I wont be trying this again though as i noticed a lot more stressed out animals (both females and males) and it really showed in the number of offspring. I usually get around 275-300 young, but last year i only got 204 and one female (just 3 year old) died 2 months after laying eggs. I still feel that she died coz i was stupid and wanted to prove a point, but atleast it made a couple of friends realize that they should house their snakes separated.
I know people who always keep their animals in groups and keep saying that it works and that they dont have any problems due to it, but looking at their records i can usually say that they have more problems then they should have if they separated the animals...

So.. my suggestion is to always house snakes 1/cage. You have a lot more control and if one get sick for some reason the other one can probably stay healthy (just a couple of all the reasons).
-------

Great info, you should add it to the co-habiting thread.
n/a Posted - 24/02/2010 : 17:09:12
I usually keep all my snakes (all spieces except the E. emoryi as their cage was originally made to house 3 iguanas and is the same size as a small room with plenty of places to hide) separately for 11 months of the year and together for the last one only to allow them to breed.
I wont be trying this again though as i noticed a lot more stressed out animals (both females and males) and it really showed in the number of offspring. I usually get around 275-300 young, but last year i only got 204 and one female (just 3 year old) died 2 months after laying eggs. I still feel that she died coz i was stupid and wanted to prove a point, but atleast it made a couple of friends realize that they should house their snakes separated.
I know people who always keep their animals in groups and keep saying that it works and that they dont have any problems due to it, but looking at their records i can usually say that they have more problems then they should have if they separated the animals...

So.. my suggestion is to always house snakes 1/cage. You have a lot more control and if one get sick for some reason the other one can probably stay healthy (just a couple of all the reasons).
-------
gingerpony Posted - 24/02/2010 : 10:48:17
if you search the forum for 'cohabit' co-habit' or 'co habit' you'll find 101 reasons not to..................
HannahB Posted - 24/02/2010 : 10:28:39
its not recommended - corns are solitary animals and only come together in the wild to breed.. people who deo cohabit have to monitor their snakes very carefully and its not recommended to put opposite sexes in together otherwise there is a high chance of them breeding before the female is ready, if that happens the female usually suffers medical complications and in extreme cases theres a chance she may die..
please dont do it.. if you do cohabit you have to have the supplies to house them separately at short notice so in my opinion if you have to buy the supplies to be able to house them separately then whats the point of putting them together in the first place..

i have 9snakes altogether and believe me although it would be easier to keep the corns in vivs in pairs ect but its definately not of any benefit to the snakes themselves..id feel awful if i started seeing the signs of stress knowing that it could have been avoided if i hadnt been selfish and wanting to save on space

have a read of this..
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000