The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Incubator set up- please check

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/02/2010 : 19:35:07
Right this is how I have the incubator set up-

In another post I was advised to put a thermometer into the egg box on top of the verm to monitor temps which I have done. There is now a therm under the mat, and in the egg box.

I am being special though and have got myself a bit confuzzled- should I be aiming for a temp of 27c on top of the verm? or not? I am confused because wouldnt this make the incubator ambient temp too high?

Please help, I'm being really dim lol
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 16/02/2010 : 21:35:28
Thanks, I think I can now chill out a bit!
mikerichards Posted - 16/02/2010 : 21:32:11
As i said, it doesnt matter what the mat gets to, its what the egg box gets to that counts, as long as the stat probe and the thermometer probe are inside the egg box it wont get too hot, remember, the other therm is only measuring the heat mat, not the temp of the whole box.
eeji Posted - 16/02/2010 : 19:13:19
i aim for around 28.5 inside the egg box
SexyBear77 Posted - 16/02/2010 : 18:52:31
Thanks Mike, unfortunately the other therm is stuck under the mat and arrived that way, so will have to stay like it!!!

So, just to double check, the temp on top of the verm needs to be around 27c, even if the rest of box ends up hotter than this? Because I managed to get the egg box up to 27.4 yesterday, but the mat wac actually at 38c.

Sorry If im being thick, just really dont want this to go wrong!!
mikerichards Posted - 16/02/2010 : 16:35:23
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

If you put the thermometer and the stat probe on the vermiculite then you are measuring and regulating the temp of the eggs, doesn't really matter about the rest of the incubator. 1 thing I forgot, I cut a kitchen roll tube into 4 even lengths, then put incubator box ontop, sop they are not directly on the mat.

Another thing I forgot, you don't need the thermometer under the heatmat, its telling you something you don't need to know!
While I am here, I will explain better, I was rushing for train before!
The therm and probe go in the egg box, that way you can watch and maintain a constant temp where the eggs are, its pointless regulating the outside temp as that will level out anyway, if the outside temp gets too hot then the eggs will get too hot so the stat will cut the heat as you would expect, the outside is not gonna get that much hotter than inside, infact, being a smaller space and so humid, its more likely the egg box will get hotter than the outside first!
All you need in the incubator is kitchen tubes to rest egg box on so you don't get hotspots, egg box with stat and therm probe in, and the heatmat, the bowl of water is not essential, but will help keep humidity high.
mikerichards Posted - 16/02/2010 : 15:51:21
If you put the thermometer and the stat probe on the vermiculite then you are measuring and regulating the temp of the eggs, doesn't really matter about the rest of the incubator. 1 thing I forgot, I cut a kitchen roll tube into 4 even lengths, then put incubator box ontop, sop they are not directly on the mat.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000