The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Nest box probs.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 10:29:43
How do the breeders on here set up their egg boxes?

Mushu has a large tupperware box 3/4 full with moss, there is a round hole in the side and the lid is attached.

Problem is, she insists on pushing all the way through the moss so she is lying on the plastic- this isn't a problem at the moment, but when the eggs arrive they will be able to roll about.

Any ideas on what I can do to resolve the situation?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 14/02/2010 : 16:56:05
No problem mate, am sure the info is all here anyways!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/02/2010 : 16:07:44
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

I have a home made one, I have used poly boxes also. A fish tank is not ideal due to the temp fluctuations you can get in a large open area. The best a most simple methos is the poly box, they are easy to setup, very easy to regulate, and you can hide it out of the way. If you want to set one up I can show you one I have used.

Thanks mike but i was just curious, will be a while before a breed so i have plenty of time to do all of my research.
SexyBear77 Posted - 13/02/2010 : 14:08:31
Yeah have got a bowl of water in there atm, have ordered a gauge so just have to wait a couple of days for it arrive. Managed to get the stat probe out from underneath the tape but the thermometer one ain't budging. The new therms should be arriving monday tho.

mikerichards Posted - 13/02/2010 : 13:20:03
Thats less than ideal yes! I put the stat probe in the box with the eggs, that way i know how warm the eggs are, not just the outside!
You should be able to get the probe out without too much of an issue, some heatmats have a double sided sticky on the bottom, so it might just be acase of getting that out the way to get to it.
Humidity wise, you want as close to 100% as reasonably possible, putting a bowl of water on the heatmat next to the lay box is something i have done in the past, keeps the humidity of the whole incubator up then.
SexyBear77 Posted - 13/02/2010 : 10:21:43
Thanks Mike, I have another box which I will use instead and I'll solder a few holes along the sides. Also got some more thermometers coming which is handy because the one that came with the incubator is taped UNDER the heatmeat.

I have a horrible feeling the stat probe is also stuck under the mat though, which means I will either have to buy a new one or try and get the probe from underneath. I also need to get a humidity gauge, it needs to be in the 90s doesnt it?
mikerichards Posted - 13/02/2010 : 08:24:52
Its better to have the holes along the sides, rather than the top.
When you set it up, put your stat probe and thermometer probe in the tub you are uncubating in, ontop of the vermiculite, if you put it on the heatmat, the vermiculite wont get warm enough, quick enough, where as on the vermiculite it will keep that at a stable temp.
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 15:15:38
Right, incubator arrived today.

It is very simple, just an RUB inside a polystyrene box, which is on top of a heat mat with a stat and thermometer attached. I will pick up a humidity gauge tomorrow. The RUB has about 5 holes along each side of the lid- is this ok or should I block some?
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 09:54:02
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Hey, sorry for jumping in here, do you all use propper shop bought incubators? I've seen a couple of people on the net who use fishtanks. They just put the eggs on the vermiculate in the tub into the fish tank at whatever the correct temperature is.

Not forgiven, start your own thread
mikerichards Posted - 12/02/2010 : 06:38:08
I have a home made one, I have used poly boxes also. A fish tank is not ideal due to the temp fluctuations you can get in a large open area. The best a most simple methos is the poly box, they are easy to setup, very easy to regulate, and you can hide it out of the way. If you want to set one up I can show you one I have used.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 23:45:00
Hey, sorry for jumping in here, do you all use propper shop bought incubators? I've seen a couple of people on the net who use fishtanks. They just put the eggs on the vermiculate in the tub into the fish tank at whatever the correct temperature is.
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 22:03:03
Right vermiculite is in the box, which Mushu didn't appreciate very much but it seems to have done the trick.

Question though- I have read that you should be able to feel definite bumps along the length of the snake when they are gravid. When getting Mu out I let her slide gently through my hands, but I'm not sure whether or not I felt bumps lol.

There is definitely a change in her "feel" and her belly scales look distended, and she is deffo in shed, but maybe I am just jumping to conclusions?

It's been nearly a month since the first mating and about a week and a half since the last, was this enough to get her gravid?

Do I need to stop being so flippin paranoid lol?!?
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 21:17:45
no problems!
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 21:13:24
Thanks Mike, thats great!

mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 21:11:46
Am afraid i dont do Fahrenheit! Ideal temps are around 27c gives you approx 55 days i think it is incubation.
If your incubator hits 33 degrees C, the eggs will die incredibly quickly, so its best to set low and maybe some kind of backup.
I run 2 stats on my incubator, one is built into the AHS heater i use, then the other is a dimmer, the ahs is set to about 32, whilst the dimmer is set to about 27, that way, i one fails, the other catches it, in theory!
To be honest, thats about all of it, its very simple, the hardest bit is resisting the urge to check on the eggs every five minutes! lol
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 20:40:22
I was planning on cooking them at around 78-84f? Does this sound ok?

I don't know the max temp before they do- mid 90's maybe?

All advice incredibly welcome!! and thanks for offering it
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 20:26:41
To be honest, they all do the same thing so it should be quite simple really, it is a good idea to have the incubator running for a few weeks before hand, its not a bad idea to have the vermiculite ready and in there too, incase of surprises! Not only that, but it gives you an idea of how the incubator deals with temp fluctuations also, any quirks!
What temp are you going to cook them at?
also, dont shoot me for asking pls, do you know the maximum temp the eggs can take before dying?
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 20:22:42
We are borrowing the incubator from one of people associated with the scottish reptiles club?

They have a vast amount of snakes and reps and so I am expecting the incubator to be a professional one with a window, though it could be anything!!

Dad is collecting it tomorrow so we can have a couple of weeks to get it set up and running well, and get used to dealing with it so when the eggs are in we shouldn't have too many issues.

I will post the set up this weekend once it has arrived. I am guessing set-up and running will be dependent on type/brand?
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 20:17:13
Nah, you dont need to worry, its quite simple really, just move them to incubator and let them cook!
The way i was shown with the vermiculite is to put it in a box, then fill the box with water, let it soak, then wring the vermiculite out, so it doesnt drip, that tends to hold enough water to last the 9 weeks or so for incubation.
Make sure you dont have too many air holes, you only need a couple, and i am pretty sure they want to be on the side, to minimise the evaporation.
Dont be tempted to open the box to have a look every 5 minutes, i did that with my first clutch and i had a very poor survival rate, let them do their bit.
What setup have you got for your incubator?
eeji Posted - 11/02/2010 : 20:06:07
i use vermiculite in the lay boxes too, mixed approx 3:1 with water so its just enough to hold the verm together, with no water dripping out when you squeeze it. I use the same ratio in the incubator boxes too, with a layer of damp moss over the top.
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 19:27:59
Lol his full name is Dangerous Dave, he was flippin feral when we got him!

Thanks for the reassurance too, nervous Granny syndrome kicking in!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000