The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 male and female housed together

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dinner83 Posted - 24/01/2010 : 23:55:47
i have just got a male and female corn of my sister and they are housed together and are about 3 years old are they lightly to breed or would they need to be separated for a while first. just courious, not thinking of breeding them this year.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 05/02/2010 : 19:34:30
its easy to mistake a male for a female, due to the fact that the female has a very shallow cloaca, the probe can only go down a short way, males, have deep hemipenes, so the probe will go down a lot further, but also the males can clench, so you get a false result of female.
eeji Posted - 05/02/2010 : 18:36:11
a probe doesn't go as far in with a female, so if a male tenses up it can feel like you've gone as far as you can with the probe and think its female.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/02/2010 : 12:21:54
I thought it was easy to mistake a female when probeing.
mikerichards Posted - 04/02/2010 : 22:08:03
Generally its only males that are miss sexed, due to them clenching! if you get a false reading on a female as a male that means you have punctured the cloaca with the probe. I would imagine, most pet shops have done the guess the tail length, or tried to pop them, which is not even nearly 100% reliable. Popping isnt so bad on a younger snake, if its a male, visually you cant get it wrong, but sometimes females pop too, and inexperienced people can mistake that as male. Same can be said for tails, Most of what i have seen, i have been able to guess correctly, but thats all it is, a guess, with experience the guess is more accurate, but unless you are certain of what to look for, its easy to get it totally wrong!
gingerpony Posted - 01/02/2010 : 20:49:31
even when sexed at a reputable reptile shop there's still a risk they're wrong.................and it's caught me out as i co-habited 2 2year old 'females'.............NOT good!!!
n/a Posted - 01/02/2010 : 18:11:27
Hi,
keep them seperate we have had are two 'females' together when my uncle came round on sunday he said the ones preganant and the females a male and we now have a pregnant snake.
Madgirl x.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/02/2010 : 17:52:43
quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

Yeh i would definently seperate them i got my carolina and snow when they were 8 wks told they were the same sex i kept them in the same viv.When they were just over a year i noticed that the viv had been trashed didnt think much of it at the time then a few months later the snow had layed 5 eggs.We had to seperate them the carolina lives in a medium sized plastic storage box the snow is still in the viv and one hatchling survived

Wow when they were only one year old. That could have ended badly. Even though the majority of hatchlings died atleast your female survived.
KITTYCAT Posted - 01/02/2010 : 16:57:16
Yeh i would definently seperate them i got my carolina and snow when they were 8 wks told they were the same sex i kept them in the same viv.When they were just over a year i noticed that the viv had been trashed didnt think much of it at the time then a few months later the snow had layed 5 eggs.We had to seperate them the carolina lives in a medium sized plastic storage box the snow is still in the viv and one hatchling survived
a33272 Posted - 01/02/2010 : 10:17:54
love to pic of ya girl an pumba, my 7 yr old lad wont go near mine haha
mikerichards Posted - 31/01/2010 : 22:29:12
Corns are one of the few snakes that will breed all year round, without the need for hibernation, they become sexually active and capable at about 18mnths, but, just because they can, doesnt mean they should! on that note, looking at the sizes, they are more than capable of breeding together, and they will given half a chance, male corns have quite a high sex drive!!!
The best thing is to keep them separate until the time you wish for them to breed.
There are a lot of conflicting views on keeping snakes together, ideally you shouldnt, but it is possible, same sex. Ideally, you should not keep babies together, there have been quite a few cases of the babies eating each other, and sometimes even themselves!
I personally keep some together, and personally have never had any problems with doing so, but you still need to be careful, obviously feeding is the biggest risk, always, without fail separate for feeding.
Despite the fact that i do it, its quite extensivley regarded that you shouldnt, but i am not going to say that!
Kellog Posted - 28/01/2010 : 05:10:00
It would definitely be best to separate them considering their ages and the likelihood of them breeding. I know it is going to mean more expense but it is better that than some of the problems associated with co-habiting.

This link gives a lot of info about co-habiting, for hatchlings and adults, with differing opinions on either side....but at least by reading it you are aware of the dangers - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7508&SearchTerms=co-habiting

Why dont you introduce yourself in the Welcome topic, so we call all say 'hi' officially ?!

xxx
Blackecho Posted - 27/01/2010 : 06:57:29
Very nice.
dinner83 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 23:46:06
hi thanks for the advice and here are some pics of little girl and my snakes.
this is the male- pumba

another one of pumba

my little girl and pumba

this is the female ginger

not the best pics i will sort some better ones out and post them.
eeji Posted - 25/01/2010 : 13:05:36
at that age, they're almost guaranteed to breed if they're kept together.
HannahB Posted - 25/01/2010 : 10:14:46
you could put one of them in a RUB (really useful box) with a heatmat under it on a stat and plenty of hides and keep the other one in the viv,
its a bit cheaper that way than buying a new viv - they do just as well in RUB's as they do in vivs
dinner83 Posted - 25/01/2010 : 09:37:43
thanks. i am new to keeping snakes but have been reading up as uch as pos, i used to keep leopard geckos. as i said i got them off my sis but she only had a basic set up - tank heat mat and hide, so i am trying to sort it out, if anyone has any ideas what is the best way to sort it out. i would be greatful for any advice about the best ways to look after them. thanks phil
Kehhlyr Posted - 25/01/2010 : 02:16:51
They do run the risk of breeding, yes.
Corns can breed all year round so separating them is the only guarantee'd way of making sure they don't breed.

Do you have much experience with cornsnakes or reps?
What is the setup like?
Do you have any piccys?

Have a looky through these topics as well for general info:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

Any other questions, have a search (button on the top right) or ask if you can't find any info.

Above all, welcome to the forum.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000