The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 More how not to breed ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul Hume Posted - 02/09/2009 : 21:46:38
Hi Everyone.

My appologies if this is in the wrong place, I am about to purchase my first snake and read all of the sites saying that they make great first snakes etc.

Originally it was just me that wanted a snake and now after going to local reptile shops and handling some snakes my other half has decided that she would now like one too.

Here is the breeding question! in a 5 years or so after we have had some experience in keeping snakes we would like the option of breeding them. The question is if we buy a male and a female baby corn can / will they be okay in the same viv all the time and is there a way of stopping them breeding or will they just not breed if we do not go through the cooling off and food cycles that I have read about.

Please fogive me if this is a stupid question but we do not really have the money for seperate vivs but would like 2 snakes from babies.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards

Paul
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 03/09/2009 : 19:24:28
id wait a bit and then get another.. you say you will be waiting around 5 years before breeding - realistically a corn must be at least 3 years old, 300g in weight and 3 foot long before being bred so really you could have up to anotherr 2years to get another hatchling
if you wait then you can save up and decide what morph ect you want to get
Brookestar Posted - 03/09/2009 : 10:32:31
KittyKat dont worry i did the same thing. my corns were incorectly sexed!

basically paul if you dont want eggs then dont put them together
n/a Posted - 03/09/2009 : 09:28:32
Hey I know how you feel, when I got Slinky I considered getting another. After getting advice from everyone from this forum I only got one snake. I'll hopefully add another soon but def not to the same viv. Far too risky!!

If you cant get 2 why not pick one together and share it for now!!
KITTYCAT Posted - 03/09/2009 : 07:54:34
Hi there, My corns were housed together from hatchlings though i now no its not recommended. my female fell pregnant when she was just over a year old one egg survived and hatched yesterday. The male is now in his own viv. The female eats great now we think the male dominated her as this can happen.Snakes should be around 3yr old b4 you breed.I would reccomend housing them seperate you dont need expensive vivs small fish tanks with heat mat etc work just aswell.
Blackecho Posted - 03/09/2009 : 07:12:18
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Am really a newbie to the forum and dont know anything about breeding, but from what I have read here it is a really bad idea to keep baby corns together - there is a danger of cannibalization, if one gets ill it will pass to the other, they will stress trying to find the best spots in the viv and when they get a bit older there is the risk of early mating which is very dangerous to the female. Am sure 'those who know' will give you the right advice as they have the experience, but I certainly wouldnt put two babies together so if you cant afford 2 vivs then you can only afford 1 corn, sorry. xxx

You did a pretty good job yourself mate

No you won't be able to stop them breeding if the male wants to and they are housed together. If the female isn't big enough to pass the eggs they can become stuck (egg bound) which could mean a large vets bill or even her death.
Kellog Posted - 03/09/2009 : 04:12:07
Am really a newbie to the forum and dont know anything about breeding, but from what I have read here it is a really bad idea to keep baby corns together - there is a danger of cannibalization, if one gets ill it will pass to the other, they will stress trying to find the best spots in the viv and when they get a bit older there is the risk of early mating which is very dangerous to the female. Am sure 'those who know' will give you the right advice as they have the experience, but I certainly wouldnt put two babies together so if you cant afford 2 vivs then you can only afford 1 corn, sorry. xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000