The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Hatchlings not feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tizzy Posted - 21/07/2009 : 21:04:35
My babies are now over 2 weeks old and only one has eaten - and that one only once.

Temps are fine they have hides all the noob stuff is covered, anyone have any ideas??? Tried leaving brained pinkys in overnight and left it 3-5 days between each attempt but getting worried now.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 08/09/2009 : 01:59:48
yeah i think its the only decent thing to do tbh when it gets to that point but untill then its best to keep on trying just incase they start feeding properly .

have you thought about giving some of them away maby the new owner will be able to spend abit more 1 on 1 time with the snake trying to get it feeding etc then if all else fails its one less for you to have to put down .
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 20:46:20
yeah I'm completely in favour of putting animals down quickly if theres nothing else you can do, but I applaud Tizzy for trying so hard to save the little ones!
n/a Posted - 07/09/2009 : 15:41:27
tbh if i was in that situation and i would rather kill them quickly than starve them to death . but preferably keep feeding them until they would eat on there own , but i understand that can be a lengthy procedure if you have quite a few mouths to feed etc
Kellog Posted - 05/09/2009 : 23:46:33
Glad they are starting to feed regularly, even if it is with help! It saddens me that a pro breeder would feel you are wasting your time...what are you supposed to do, let them starve to death?! xxx
Brookestar Posted - 05/09/2009 : 21:57:32
good louck tizzy

good to know they are startin to feed
Tizzy Posted - 05/09/2009 : 21:47:57
Not feeding alone yet but the force feeding is getting alot easier, i know pro breaders will think i'm stoopid for working so hard on basic corns but i can't give up on them yet, they are alot more active since getting a bit of food in them so guessing they are getting stronger.

Will keep you updated and get some pics soon, Not been online much latley as the school holidays have been manic and my house is currently in turmoil due to a kitchen re-fit that ended up in a burst water main under the kitchen floor - Ooops!!!
Kellog Posted - 05/09/2009 : 21:13:47
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

Well they have all kept the food down, and all are looking bright and alert today so fingers crossed. I just hope that afetr the trauma of force feeding they will eventually feed on their own.

Will keep hoping for you tizzy. Surely once they have tasted food and felt the strength/energy it gives them they should feed themselves....? xxx
n/a Posted - 05/09/2009 : 17:16:56
did you manage to get all these feeding properly in the end ?
Tizzy Posted - 19/08/2009 : 12:20:35
Well they have all kept the food down, and all are looking bright and alert today so fingers crossed. I just hope that afetr the trauma of force feeding they will eventually feed on their own.
hillzi Posted - 18/08/2009 : 20:56:52
good lass tizzy, whats crueler is letting them starve to death
lee2308 Posted - 18/08/2009 : 20:31:18
best of luck with them tizzy
Tizzy Posted - 18/08/2009 : 19:55:14
Well we had tried assit feeding before and it had not worked, tonight we took the last resort of force feeding,

Each of the 3 non feeders has had a pinky head and the tail of a medium mouse. This is not something i would recommend but the largest snake who was 6g had gone down to just 4g and the smallest one was getting so thin it looked like a match stick.

Again this was THE LAST RESORT these babies are now over 6 weeks old and would die soon, i have spoken to a couple of breaders, rep shops and a vet who were not willing to help really just saying it's natures way blah blah...they don't all make it etc etc. I was also told you couldn't force feed hatchlings without breaking their necks but i have so HA HA. I guess it's a waiting game now to see if they keep down what they have eaten.

I'm not ready to give up on these babies yet!

eeji Posted - 18/08/2009 : 13:55:00
its a bit gruesome, but i think its maybe time to assist feed a pinky head
Tizzy Posted - 17/08/2009 : 20:04:19
Well these 3 non feeders are now 6 weeks old and each of them has only taken one Mouse tail. They are still active and drinking but are very skinny now making the chances of them taking a proper feed slim. We're gonna keep trying the tails but i think they may have just been too small. These weighed in at 4g when hatched and my second cluch were between 7-9g and looked huge!!!

Neither tuna or chick scenting have worked so if anyone has any more ideas i'm still looking for advice.
gingerpony Posted - 16/08/2009 : 18:49:12
quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

hi there i read that hatchling dont normally feed till after there first shed.

yeah we already covered that one if you read the thread.................
n/a Posted - 16/08/2009 : 12:59:27
Hi when i first got one of my hatchlings it wouldnt eat for 2 weeks i just kept offering a pinkie every 4 days and eventually she got hungry enough to start eating:)
KITTYCAT Posted - 16/08/2009 : 11:20:25
hi there i read that hatchling dont normally feed till after there first shed.
Brookestar Posted - 23/07/2009 : 23:39:00
how about tails of large mice or rats?
Tizzy Posted - 23/07/2009 : 22:35:08
Thanks again guys, i've left them alone and i'm gonna try scenting tomorrow, (the cat will be pleased as he's the only one who likes tuna) - also gonna try rat and chick scenting. Anymore advice greatfully recieved.
matty18714 Posted - 23/07/2009 : 17:17:45
quote:
Originally posted by Brookestar

so is mine a method for adults? the book didnt specify what age

Not specificaly, but its less likly to spook an adult.

Good luck Tizzy, I would try scenting with various things.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000