The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Dimpling eggs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SilverWings Posted - 04/06/2013 : 23:59:50
Hey guys, wondering if any experienced breeders can give me some advice. Luna laid eggs last week, they;re on vermiculite with damp kitchen roll on top (mainly so I can keep an eye on humidity). So far humidity seems fine. Temperature is good, staying at 28 degrees. They were on vermiculite with a sprinkle of sphagnum moss on top, but it was difficult to keep an eye on moisture, so I replaced the vermiculite making sure it was mixed to recommended saturation. All eggs showed an embryo and some small veins.

Yesterday, I noticed that two of the eggs are becoming very dimpled. Candling them shows advanced vein growth in the non-dimpled eggs, less vein growth on the dimpled ones. There is still the pink dot and some small veins, but I'm concerned they don't seem like the others. Can anybody offer advice? Is there anything I can do? I don't think humidity is a problem, the other eggs look just fine and the two dimpled ones are at opposite sides of the incubator. The eggs were in the viv with the mother for most of a day, is it possible she turned them? Would that have a huge effect? Any advice or information would be appreciated, thanks :)
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SilverWings Posted - 10/06/2013 : 15:51:11
Hey guys, more question :p The dimpled eggs have puffed back out and seem to be doing okay, all eggs are nice and veiny. I'm a bit confused about temperature though. I have two thermometers in the incubator, one in the substrate and one in the air above the eggs. The one in the substrate shows a constant 28-29 degrees, the other one (which also measures humidity) shows an air temperature of 24 degrees. I assumed when I first made the incubator the temperature would be constant in all parts of the incubator, but clearly thats not happening. Do I need to worry, or it is okay? Its not a big incubator, so I don't think heat is being lost that way, it's only about 30x15cm. I'm using a heat cable rather than a heat mat, it's wrapped around the box the eggs are in, then placed in the polystyrene box.
Laws Posted - 05/06/2013 : 13:08:30
As people have said I had a similar problem with some eggs I had drilled too many air holes and not covered them so after a week they are showed dimples . Cover the air holes and added a touch more water and they puffed back out again . I added water as I used egg crates to sit the eggs on
kev 5 Posted - 05/06/2013 : 08:31:04
Ideally the humidity needs to be well over 90%. My eggs normally incubate at 94% and I've never had any problems.
oakleyman18 Posted - 05/06/2013 : 01:09:41
Although you mention humidity should be fine, that is one of the main signs of dehydration. I had a hydrometer in with mine this year and it read 87% in the incubator, but mine dehydrated, and after putting a lid on the tub itself and packing a little moist moss in there, they returned back to normal after a week or so, and look much better for it :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000