The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 trying to understand morphs in corns

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kevwdc Posted - 11/04/2013 : 22:19:24
I have just getting a male corn. On his data sheet I was given it says he is a hypo blood red het amel & anery. I dont understand what this means. If I breed from him when he is older what morphs of snakes will I get. I would like something different rather than classics if this is possible.

Any help would be great.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kevwdc Posted - 14/04/2013 : 02:52:59
ok i will avoid that
Isoldael Posted - 13/04/2013 : 17:27:17
You can, but I personally don't do it. Inbreeding seems to cause way more genetic problems than breeding unrelated animals in many species, so I'd rather not risk it ^^
kevwdc Posted - 13/04/2013 : 01:11:46
I know this might sound silly but can you breed from the same clutch of babies
kevwdc Posted - 13/04/2013 : 01:09:31
ok thanks I will bear this in mind.
oakleyman18 Posted - 12/04/2013 : 14:08:07
All these as minimum guidelines... yes. The general rule of 3's: 300g, 3ft, 3 years old.

But the MOST important of these is the 300g, in my opinion. A snake will mostly be over 3ft if it's 300g, but you should look at the animal as a whole. If it is 3ft, 300g and 3 years old, it still may not be in the healthiest possible condition. Breeding takes a huge toll on the females, and so having extra weight there is a buffer for recovery afterwards. It's always better to be on the safer side of these margins. I try to look at 3 years, 3.5ft and 350g minimums.
paulie78 Posted - 12/04/2013 : 09:10:31
quote:
Originally posted by kevwdc

there is some lovely corns out there and it going to take me a little bit to get used to all the genes. I will get there eventually the information you all have giving me is a big help. I will give that corncalcs.com ago have a play around and see what comes up. Is it 3 years 300 grams correct for healthy breeding

and 3ft in length
kevwdc Posted - 12/04/2013 : 00:37:05
there is some lovely corns out there and it going to take me a little bit to get used to all the genes. I will get there eventually the information you all have giving me is a big help. I will give that corncalcs.com ago have a play around and see what comes up. Is it 3 years 300 grams correct for healthy breeding
paulie78 Posted - 11/04/2013 : 23:34:54
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

Most corn morphs are recessive genes, meaning that both parents need to be carrying a copy of that gene for the morph to show up in offspring.

Blood red is a selectively bred morph and a lot of people seem to use that name interchangeably with the morph that blood red comes from; diffused.

Your corn is visually hypo diffused, but is also carrying the hidden genes for amel and anery.
Bred to the right female/s, he could produce all of these morphs and combos - if that makes sense!

Playing with the corncalc usually helps me

The two absolute worst things to discover after you buy your first Corn...Ians Vivarium and the Corn Calculator pmsl
Isoldael Posted - 11/04/2013 : 23:20:48
A simplified view is this. Each snake has a set of genes. These genes determine what the snake looks like. It will have 2 strands of these genes.

To look at a few common morphs: an amelanistic snake has 2 "amel" genes (that make the snake lack black pigment) - one on each strand. An anerytheristic corn snake has 2 "anery" genes (that make the snake lack red pigment), one on each strand as well. Most of the morphs work like this - you need 2 copies of a certain gene for the snake to actually be that morph. If a snake has only one gene (for instance, 1 amel gene and 1 normal gene), it will LOOK normal, but still CARRY the amel gene.

That is the case in your snake. Your snake has 2 hypo genes and 2 diffused (bloodred) genes, but only ONE amel gene (and one normal gene) and ONE anery gene (and a normal gene). When he breeds, he will always pass one of a pair of genes. This basically means that your snake will ALWAYS pass on a hypo gene and a diffused gene to its young, but whether or not it passes on an amel gene or a normal gene (or an anery gene or a normal gene), you don't know.

For any of the young to display a morph other than classics, you will have to breed your snake to another snake that has at least one of the following traits (either in full form or as hets):

Hypo
Bloodred (diffused)
Amel
Anery

Breeding to an anery, for instance, would lead to half normals and half aneries (as the "normal" gene and the "anery" gene are passed on about 50/50). Breeding to a hypo would get you 100% hypo hatchlings, breeding to a bloodred / diffused would get you 100% bloodred / diffused. To see what kind of hatchlings you would get when breeding to which snake, I recommend using corncalc.com. You can simply enter the genes of the parents there and it will tell you what to expect and in which relative numbers.

For your male, you would do the following:

Amelanistic/Ultra -> het amel
Anerythristic -> het anery
Diffused -> diffused
Hypo / strawberry -> hypo

Then just play around a bit with the genes on the other side to get the combinations you like :)

Edit: just noticed Figs outposted me. Sorry for the double info!
Figs Posted - 11/04/2013 : 23:11:21
Most corn morphs are recessive genes, meaning that both parents need to be carrying a copy of that gene for the morph to show up in offspring.

Blood red is a selectively bred morph and a lot of people seem to use that name interchangeably with the morph that blood red comes from; diffused.

Your corn is visually hypo diffused, but is also carrying the hidden genes for amel and anery.
Bred to the right female/s, he could produce all of these morphs and combos - if that makes sense!

Playing with the corncalc usually helps me

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000