The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Oviduct Prolapse

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Isoldael Posted - 26/03/2013 : 12:20:13
This morning I went to check up on the snakes as usual and found that Saphira had started laying her eggs (outside the nesting box, very much unlike her). Upon closer inspection, I noticed that she has an oviduct prolapse.

Hoping to reduce the risk of any possible infection, I've taken her out of the viv and moved her onto damp kitchen towel. I know it's risky to disturb a female while laying, but I felt the risk of leaving her in the viv was bigger. Since I moved her, she has continued to lay eggs without any problem, but the prolapse is still there. I have prepared a luke warm bath of sterile water mixed with sugar for when she's done with laying so I can hopefully get the prolapse to retract. If this fails, I'll take her to a vet asap (and even if it works, I'll probably do that to get her some antibiotics to reduce the risk at possible infection).

Has anyone experienced this before? What did you do to fix the problem and how well did it work? I'm worried sick for my little one, but there's only one reptile vet around this place and I have bad experiences with her, so I'd prefer to take the advice of experienced breeders.

Thank you in advance,

a very worried Eline
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Isoldael Posted - 03/05/2013 : 14:16:46
Saphira had another (very messy) shed today. Starting to wonder when the stitches will finally dissolve so she can properly shed around the wound as well :)
smart bunny Posted - 03/05/2013 : 11:34:32
Echo the above comments - so sad the eggs didn't make it, but I'm so glad Saphira is doing well xxx
Razee Posted - 01/05/2013 : 21:45:31
That's a shame about the eggs but Saphira's more important, it's great that she's doing well :-)
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 01/05/2013 : 12:15:58
Sorry the eggs didn't make it Isoldael, but am so pleased that Saphira is doing so well after all that she has been through
Isoldael Posted - 01/05/2013 : 11:59:24
An update: sadly, none of the eggs made it. The temps and humidity were fine, so I'm not sure what caused it (perhaps it was related to the prolapse). Saphira, on the other hand, is still doing great :)
smart bunny Posted - 12/04/2013 : 14:01:36
Oh what a shame :( Come on little eggies, produce some good hatchies!
Isoldael Posted - 12/04/2013 : 13:09:19
An update - while Saphira is doing well, her eggs look pretty awful. I guess it's related to the prolapse, I've never had issues with incubating before. For now, it looks like there is 1 healthy egg, but I'll see if I can get the others to improve. If not, all my hopes are on the one eggie.
Razee Posted - 10/04/2013 : 13:44:36
Good girl Saphira! Glad she's got her appetite back, she looks well too :-)
smart bunny Posted - 10/04/2013 : 11:59:54
Aww great news :) Hopefully the scales will gradually improve as she sheds.
Isoldael Posted - 10/04/2013 : 00:20:42
A little update: the scales don't seem to be getting better, but they're not getting worse either. I guess it just needs some time.

In the meantime, she had another feed. Where she was reluctant earlier, she struck more ferociously than ever before now!

Isoldael Posted - 03/04/2013 : 22:57:26
Thanks guys :) I didn't inject her there, but maybe the vet did. I'll listen to what she has to say about it and take a look at how her scales are tomorrow, hopefully she won't need any further treatment :)
Razee Posted - 03/04/2013 : 22:34:01
I've already put this on the other thread - but, just in case you read this one first - could it be the injection site?

I'm glad she's doing well and eating, I kept thinking about her... :-)
smart bunny Posted - 03/04/2013 : 22:05:03
Fab news that she has shed and is more herself, really odd about those scales though - they don't look like other scale rot pics you can see on google, and I think they are more normally on the ventral scales aren't they? Bizarre, hope it is nothing serious - one thought - it's not at the injection site or anything is it? Just wondering if they could have been affected by any leaking meds or anything. I hope she is OK, she sounds like she is doing brilliantly otherwise :D
lupi lou Posted - 03/04/2013 : 21:52:27
Can't help with the scales, but am glad to hear she is recovering from her ordeal it must have been very distressing for you! Hope she makes a speedy recovery
Isoldael Posted - 03/04/2013 : 19:16:38
Here is a picture of the affected area. I'll also make a seperate thread on the health section to see if someone knows what this is.

Isoldael Posted - 03/04/2013 : 19:08:21
Update: Just took Saphira out to take some new pictures - the scales have actually changed since this morning and look very dry and weird now. Will try to find out what it is tonight. I already have a follow-up appointment with the vet tomorrow (over the phone), so I'll be able to ask her opinion then as well.
Isoldael Posted - 03/04/2013 : 18:52:13
Saphira shed last night! I've been sleeping in the attic (where my snakes are) since I wanted to be able to act fast if anything went wrong, and the sound of her shedding actually woke me up. She had quite some issues shedding (gave her a piece of wood to make it easier) and it came off in about 300 pieces, but most of it is off now. The only part where some of the shed is left is underneath the stitches - there's no way to remove that without putting actual pressure on the stitches.

Since the shed, Saphira has been a LOT more active than before her shed and is a lot more like her old usual self. I fed her another mouse today, and although she was a little reluctant to take it at first, once she made up her mind she gobbled it down like she hadn't eaten in months.

There was one more surprise after the shed today - she now has 3 white scales on her back. It doesn't look like the scales are damaged or anything, it just looks like the pigment is gone. On the left side of the picture (I'll take a close-up later today):

Foxtrotsierra Posted - 03/04/2013 : 08:18:55
How is Saphira holding up Isodael? Hope you are both ok
Mort13 Posted - 31/03/2013 : 17:08:27
Ah bless,I'm not surprised you ended up in floods over her. Such an emotional worrying time, sounds like she's coming on great now though thanks to your dedication
Razee Posted - 31/03/2013 : 11:05:21
Isoldael, you've done and are doing a great job. Saphira is a lucky girl to have you as her owner - I bet you, there are many people out there, especially some large breeders, that would have just PTS'ed a snake in that situation, and said, oh well, she died egg bound.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and Saphira, hope she gets better soon.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000