The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Need advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Snagliph Posted - 03/07/2012 : 02:05:45
I have two milk snakes that I "inherited" from a friend when he moved. I have never owned a snake before and though I know he'd been interested in breeding, I've no interest in it. Honestly I really don't need the extra pets (I also inherited 5 geckos...), but it was a situation where I couldn't really say no.

Anyway, the snakes are kept separately, so no risk of fertility, but the female surprised me by laying 2 eggs a couple of days ago. I had no idea she was pregnant, though I am aware that unbred females can lay eggs. With birds they will lay every day or so until they are done, so when there were only two eggs I didn't fret. I also didn't have any idea how many eggs she might lay.

I've done everything wrong - please no criticism on this - I had no idea, nor had the snakes been a big priority. Mostly I'd worried as she had refused her last few feedings (a sign of pregnancy... which I'd not known). I didn't have an egg-laying box ready. I have no idea if she needed supplements.

She laid one egg under her papers (her bedding) and one in the water bowl. The one under the paper was hard and underdeveloped, the one in the water was very large and soft. No idea if it was within normal range for a snake her size - I've never seen snake eggs up close and personal.

Anyway, no further eggs in 3 days (though the small hard egg might have been laid after the first water dish one - I didn't notice it at first). She seems to have perhaps 3 egg swellings left. I've made her an appropriate place to lay eggs now. But it's been a while, and I am worried.

I need to find out from my vet what it would cost to have her looked at. The problem is that my family isn't well off, and my husband doesn't want to spend any money on a snake (though technically they were from his friend, not mine, and he's the one who refused to let me rehome them when I was feeling overwhelmed by having too many animals). I plan to call in tomorrow and ask what it might cost (today is a holiday here, and it is evening, so morning is the soonest I can get a call in). My clinic does do exotic animals, so they have snake experience.

Anyway, any suggestions to help my girl? She doesn't seem distressed, but is very active (which this hot weather tends to make happen). I am thinking of trying a warm bath, but other than that...

I don't want her to suffer or die, however my hands are really tied when it comes to treatment for her. I'm hoping that having a good laying area might get her going again...
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 04/07/2012 : 08:17:37
I had a corn that took almost 2 weeks to lay although she has now been spayed.

I would leave her alone for a day or so and see if she parts with the rest in the laying box you have provided. The fact that they are passing means that she isn't eggbound yet so hopefully she will do the rest no problems.
Snagliph Posted - 04/07/2012 : 02:45:13
Up to 3 eggs now. I'll check her over in the morning to see if I feel others, but I'd only felt three before. I am SO relieved.
Snagliph Posted - 03/07/2012 : 22:32:28
So, I took her to a local reptile zoo (with a good reputation) for advice. Apparently they can take 1-2 weeks to lay, and I shouldn't worry too much yet. Ironically the stress of going on a car ride caused her to lay another egg :) So I'm happy that perhaps things are moving again. My vet's estimate to just check her (not counting treatment) was $150, so no way I can manage that :( But I have hope that she will resolve this on her own.
Snagliph Posted - 03/07/2012 : 04:20:04
Thanks for the response. I will certainly consider surrendering her if necessary. She is approximately 3-4 years old as far as I know. Length is around 3' or so, but I've not measured and she's happily burying herself in the moist moss and I don't want to disturb her. Usually she's been eating an adult mouse in each feeding (before she stopped eating). We switched her up about 4 months ago.

I'm pretty sure there is 2-3 eggs left, but not totally. She's good to handle, and I gave her a decent "feel", but it's not something I'm experienced with. Her vent is closed (as per usual). Breathing seems normal, just active. I'm hopeful that she's taking advantage of the moss bed I made up.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 03/07/2012 : 02:30:50
If she has not laid anything else in three days, that is not a good sign. It is possible that she has become egg-bound and can not pass the remainder of the clutch. Is she a really small milk snake? About how long would you say she is? Are you certain she is still holding eggs (can you feel the lumps if you run your thumb tightly against her belly down toward the tail)? Short of taking her to the vet and surrendering her to him/her in order for her to receive necessary care, I'm not sure what else to tell you. :( While it is possible to help push the eggs down, you can also harm the snake internally and cause death if you don't know what you're doing. The vet will be able to use a sterile syringe to draw out the contents of the egg that is causing the bounding. I'm really sorry you have been put into this sort of situation, and I hope that maybe someone else can come along and give you even more (better) advice than what I have put. Best of luck to you and the poor little lady. Hope she makes a full recovery.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000