The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Corn Morphs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chris25 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 09:02:20
Hi All,

I have a male Amel corn and want to get a female to breed with him. I was thinking of getting a butter female and have tried to work out what I would get from this pairing? I've used the corn calc and got the below results.

Male: Amel
Female: Butter ( Amel, Caramel )
Phenotype:
100.0% Amel het Caramel
Genotype:
100.0% Amel het Caramel

Does this mean that all the babies would have the colour of Amels and carry the gene for Caramel?

From my research and new very limited knowledge of corn snake genetics I was thinking I would get 50% Amels and 50% butter? But I guess I'm wrong, here's my punnett square that I came up with...
#|A |A |
A|AA|AA|
C|AC|AC|

I'm trying to find a female that would be a good choice to pair with my Amel to get more desirable and colorful morphs if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 12/09/2012 : 19:28:07
congrats!

yes, f1 x parent = f2. As for 'safety', I don't know. There is a small amount of risk with any kind of line breeding, the more its done the more any changes are noticed.
chris25 Posted - 12/09/2012 : 13:18:32
I've finally found and got my female sulfur!
(thanks to the Kempton Expo)

She's beautiful! and with a 66% het motley!

Just got to get her to breeding age and size. I don't know how I'm going to wait for a couple of years!

I have a question regarding the f1, f2 stuff;

eeji, you said that if you breed the f1 babies together this produces f2.
If you produce an 1f baby and then breed that back to the mother, as I'm planning on doing, would any offspring then still become f2? I guess they would, just wanted to double check?

I'm guessing if you breed any related pair together that this increases the f number by 1 more than the highest? (e.g f1+f2=f3, f2+f2=f3, parent+f2=f3, etc...)

And what is the highest you can 'safely' go?

I don't plan going further than f2 just interested.

Thanks,
Chris
chris25 Posted - 08/06/2012 : 15:35:25
I'm not sure if I can get over to Germany. I'll have a hunt around and if I don't find anything before I'll look at the reptile expo at Kempton in August and see if they have one. Never been before but looks like it'll be good!
eeji Posted - 08/06/2012 : 15:09:31
keep an eye on the european breeders, there seems to be loads of sulfur stuff in Germany. If you can get over to Hamm or Houten shows or can get one brought back you're in business :)
chris25 Posted - 08/06/2012 : 13:34:09
It doesn't look like there are many sulfurs out there. Seems quite rare at the moment and therefore I'm guessing if I do find one it'll be expensive. Will keep looking and have sent emails to local reptile shops but might have to settle for the butter.
paulie78 Posted - 08/06/2012 : 13:06:29
i plan to breed my own sulfur once i have my pickups from donnie ill have the diffused gene and i already have a butter which so ill just breed to breed a diffused het amel,caramel lol blimey thinking about it i think its a 6 year project lmao maybe ill just buy one pmsl
chris25 Posted - 08/06/2012 : 08:22:49
Thanks for the help! I like the idea of the sulfur! I'll have a look for one of those!
If anyone knows anywhere that would be a good place to find one I'd appreciate it. I've looked online for anyone selling butters or sulfurs and there doesn't seem to be any about.
paulie78 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 21:18:40
Cheers eeji Sulfurs on my list to try and breed lol should have everything i need (once i collect my new snakes from donnie lol) then i just have to wait for them to reach breeding age size and weight lol
QueenVic Posted - 07/06/2012 : 20:39:48
Ahh, brilliant, cheers :D
eeji Posted - 07/06/2012 : 20:35:43
sorry, my bad. the 'f' means 'filial generation' and the number is the number of generations.

eg. If you have an unrelated pair of animals any babies they produce are f1 (first generation). If you breed any of the f1 babies together then their babies will be f2 second generation. Breed a pair of f2's together you get f3 babies, etc etc etc.

If an f1 (or indeed any of the future generations) are bred to an unrelated animal then their babies become the f1 of that particular breeding.
QueenVic Posted - 07/06/2012 : 20:07:49
Might sound like a noob haha, but what does f1/f2 etc mean in terms of breeding?
eeji Posted - 07/06/2012 : 20:01:34
how about making it a bit more interesting, and add something extra to the butter for even more possibilities. eg. if you went for a sulfur and kept a few pairs back to breed together you'd have chances of amel, butter, fire and sulfur.

these would only be f2 babies so theres no real problem with the line breeding.
paulie78 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 17:00:41
quote:
Originally posted by chris25

I like your thinking, also keeps it simpler. And as you say the butters are awesome and that's what I wanted initially!

Thanks for all your help!

Besides you could aways buy a caramel/het caramel later if u wanted too for breeding purposes obviously lol
chris25 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 15:37:31
I like your thinking, also keeps it simpler. And as you say the butters are awesome and that's what I wanted initially!

Thanks for all your help!
paulie78 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 14:38:41
well im no expert im not a huge fan of inbreeding anything but obviously if people didnt do it then we wouldnt have half the awesome morphs we do if u wanted to do that though id probably get the butter as that way breeding one of the babys back to mum youd get butters and amels and no normals with hets im bias though as i love Butters lol
chris25 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 14:29:37
Ok, Thanks Paulie.

I'll get the butter if I can find one, if not maybe an amber as they have some of these in my local reptile shop.

Looking at what I could then get from breeding with an amber,

Normals het Amel, Caramel, Hypo

Then if I bred one of these back with my amber I'd get,

25.0% Caramel het Hypo 50% poss het. Amel
25.0% Normal het Caramel, Hypo 50% poss het. Amel
25.0% Hypo het Caramel 50% poss het. Amel
25.0% Amber ( Caramel, Hypo ) 50% poss het. Amel

A nice range of morphs :)

What are your thought on inbreeding the snakes like this? I've read its OK as long as not for more than 2 or 3 generations.
paulie78 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 13:59:24
anything and everything he could potentially be easily het for anything or just as easily ..nothing the problem is selling the hatchlings after.
chris25 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 13:45:09
Ah Ok,

Thanks for all your help. I have one final question... What would be best to breed him with to find out if he is het for anything? Is there an easy way of doing this?

If not I think I might just get the butter as I like the colour :)
paulie78 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 13:40:12
From the above pairing you would get all amels het caramel without knowing any hets of your male its impossible pick a suitable mate to produce other morphs unless you test breed him with lots of different females and see what you get which obviously isnt very practical
Figs Posted - 07/06/2012 : 13:34:52
If he doesnt have any hets, then your only options for visuals (i think!) are normals, amels, ultramels and tessera
Tessera is dominant over normal and ultra is codominant with amel; making ultramels

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000