The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Cutting eggs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
QueenVic Posted - 05/06/2012 : 01:54:38
I know that this is a controversial subject, but i'd like to know the science behind it more than the morality of it.

If you cut a hole in an egg, avoiding the veins etc, will the egg incubate normally still?

I've read about 'windowing' where a small hole is put in the egg so the morph can be known weeks before hatching.
Im not saying I think this is a good idea, or that i'd do it just to know the morph, but does it actually affect the hatchling-to-be?

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 09/06/2012 : 14:23:58
That's awful :(
Spreebok Posted - 09/06/2012 : 12:33:43
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

this one katie? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1STOyZNNtPo

i think its horrible

Thats it alright!

Urgh, that guy. THAT GUY. I saw this a while back, I just... Really... Ugh.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 07/06/2012 : 10:33:02
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

i think its horrible

Thats it alright!
QueenVic Posted - 06/06/2012 : 01:24:37
Ah I see. Cheers for that Staple.
I think i'm just worrying myself too much, but the eggs are stupidly dented in lol.
More so than on any pics of corn snake eggs that i can find.. and ive done extensive searches.

Increased the humidity even more now, changed the verm completely and mixed it with a little bit more than equal weight to water, so its almost too damp, and then just placed the eggs in it with damp kitchen roll over the top.

Don't want them to be too moist but I hate the idea that they are dehydrated lol, its so hard to judge.

Can't wait til im as experienced as everyone else on here! Only my second clutch ever lol :(
Sta~ple Posted - 05/06/2012 : 20:55:49
If the humity was wrong a handful would still make it out the eggs, trust me. My eggs were always dimpled and I had some hatch. Sometimes it just takes longer
ScalySituation Posted - 05/06/2012 : 20:48:23

i think its horrible
QueenVic Posted - 05/06/2012 : 20:43:47
thats ball python eggs, and i think its common in that species
Katie.Dublin Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:48:32
I was watching a YouTube channel before and the chap seemed to be a big breeder, big snakes of some description I can't remember. Apparently he cuts all his eggs and has found it to be successfull. It looks AWFUL! This fella literally cuts the egg and sticks his big fat fingers in and rips out the hatchie!! One video I saw had multiple twin eggs in a clutch, and he was going from one egg to the other just grabbing the babies out! Not nice at all. Not sure if I could find it again now though. Some American dude......
QueenVic Posted - 05/06/2012 : 14:33:30
Thanks for the info people, and yeah I really dont want to do it.
But like Kev said, it does seem to have taken too long. My humidity did get messed up for a few days meaning that the egg shells hardened so im worried that maybe they were meant to hatch then but couldnt.

Im not going to do anything yet, if I do decide to do it im going to wait until im past the 80 day mark.
And like i say, im not doing it to see what morph it is, im doing it because im worried the eggs CANT hatch by them selves through a fault of my own, not because there is something wrong with the snake.

eeji Posted - 05/06/2012 : 11:46:06
egg cutting is for people who are far too impatient to be breeding snakes. Theres no need for it and it can cause the snake inside to die if done incorrectly and/or too early.
paulie78 Posted - 05/06/2012 : 10:12:14
I think egg cutting is predominantly a royal thing with the breeders being eager to see if they have got lucky and struck gold getting their target morphs and i certainly dont agree with doing it for this reason if its to aid the hatchling (which i think is quite rare in corns) then thats fine but just trying to get a sneak peak i think is wrong they will hatch as and when nature intends them too if they were meant to hatch sooner they would lol
Sta~ple Posted - 05/06/2012 : 10:09:36
I'd only do it if others have hatched normally so your cutting into an egg that hasnt hatched 24hrs after the foirst one otherwise it seem a bit risky and silly as most snakes should be able to hatch without help, unless there is something wrong with your humdidtity.
kev 5 Posted - 05/06/2012 : 08:40:50
to be honest i'm really not sure, every egg i've ever had has hatched apart from one. i cut that 1 because it was a week after the rest of the clutch had hatched, but it was obvious it had died a few weeks before it was due to hatch for some reason. i can see why your thinking about it though, at the temp your incubating at and being on 75/76 days i really think they should of hatched by now. may be worth risking it with one of them just to see whats happening. whatever you decide i hope it works out

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000