The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 young albino corn layed eggs unexpectedly

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hutton2000 Posted - 17/05/2012 : 22:46:46
Hi guys. My wife bought me 2 corn snakes last march and they were about 4 months old when we got them and we was told they were both females. They are now 18 months old and iv now found out they are a male and female as I arrived home from work this afternoon and found a strange long white thing in there viv and had to Google it to find out what it was, and to my surprise it was an egg. So my female continued to lay 3 more eggs over the course of 90 mins. During that time iv made a make shift incubator out of a cooler box and a small plastic tub with a spare heat mat atbthe bottom of the cooler box and placed some cotton wool in and dampened it with a water spray and got the temp at around 85 f. My only concern is my snakes age. Will the eggs survive as shes given birth at only 18 months old. She seems in good condition and the 4 eggs are all white and soft. Can anyone give anymore advice as I was totally unprepared for this and don't want to loose and hatchlings of my female corn.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
claire_daz Posted - 13/07/2012 : 11:20:06
sorry to hear about your other two eggs hope your new little one gies from strengh to strengh
hutton2000 Posted - 12/07/2012 : 17:03:51
Hi guys. I have great pleasure to say 1 of my 3 eggs hatched on Sunday and I have 1 healthy baby albino corn. And on tuesday the other 2 hatched. Last night they emerged from the egg with just there heads sticking out and all was fine. but tonight when I can home from work both babys where lifeless and fully out of the eggs. I can't for the life of me figure out why this happened especially when the first one that hatched is in good health. The temp and humidity in the incubator hadn't changed. I'm just thinking they were the weaker baby's due to the mothers young age. Iv kept the first baby in the incubator in a seperate box with moss as she looked very wrinkly and dehidrated when she emerged. Now she looks fine and darting around its box shall I transferre it to a proper setup in a small container so it can get ready to shed.
kev 5 Posted - 24/06/2012 : 14:11:44
glad to hear it's going well
hutton2000 Posted - 23/06/2012 : 20:55:50
Hi guys. Sorry it's been a few weeks but snake eggs are doing great embryos are moving around nicely but sadly one of the eggs went black and moldy 1 week after so I kept it for a couple of weeks and when I started to shine light into the eggs to check this one eggs was rock solid and no veins were present unlike the others. But all is well mom and dad are now separated and in there own stacking viv setup. So looks like I'll get 3 baby snakes around the 16th of July whoop whoop. Can wait.
hutton2000 Posted - 23/06/2012 : 20:48:30
Hi
Tasha89 Posted - 23/05/2012 : 16:39:20
Awww...what a happy ending to and unexpected situation, i wish you luck and hope everything turns out ok.

Keep us all updated!!
hutton2000 Posted - 21/05/2012 : 17:19:50
Update......... eggs and mum are going great will keep you up to date throughout.
kev 5 Posted - 18/05/2012 : 21:22:55
sounds like your doing everything you need to at the moment. hope it goes well
hutton2000 Posted - 18/05/2012 : 21:09:16
Very interesting post. Had no idea they could double clutch scary. It was my own fault trusting the guy I bought them off saying they were females. now I'm in the unwanted stage of looking after eggs but hey its a good experience and getting used to this and looking forward to hatchlings. She is about 1.5 feet long and produce 4 eggs.
Sta~ple Posted - 18/05/2012 : 20:54:07
You will need to seperate her as soon as possible from the male to avoide this happening again, breeding underage can really stunt their growth! You may also be stuck with any hatched babies for a very long time! Although you have seperated you may get some eggs soon again as sometimes they double clutch and the year after since snakes can retain sperm and if your unlucky, she may continue to lay eggs after that year :(

How many eggs so far?

hutton2000 Posted - 18/05/2012 : 20:34:18
Thanks for all the great advice. My female is looking good and she enjoyed her wonder around my bed today. I fed her 2 small pinkies which she took no problems. As for the eggs i transferred them into moss now and got a hygrometer and the humidity is spot on 90% and the temp is a constant 27.5 0c. They are still all white and all look fertile to me. As for the male he now has his own viv so no more unexpected eggs at least till she is 3 years old.
marc_sg Posted - 18/05/2012 : 18:51:40
sorry forgot good luck aswell
marc_sg Posted - 18/05/2012 : 18:50:15
if u can get hold of a polystyrene box this is how i made my incubator

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21630&SearchTerms=how,i,made,my,incubator
QueenVic Posted - 18/05/2012 : 16:53:04
Yeah don't worry about the eggs because of her age, it's more the snake that usually has problems.
Id get her out and run her through your hands like a rope, you'll be able to feel if there are any more eggs in her.
Egg binding is common in undersized snakes...
Glad she seems okay though! and congrats even though you weren't expecting it!!
kev 5 Posted - 18/05/2012 : 07:20:48
they're not supposed to breed untill they're 3 years old. she should be o.k though. if she refuses a small mouse try offering her a fuzzie or even a few pinkies
hutton2000 Posted - 17/05/2012 : 23:58:31
I'm buying another viv tomorrow so to move the male. She hasn't layed any more eggs since 6pm tonight and looks like she's got no more in her. I am shocked any worried about her but she looks in good shape. I'm going to feed her a small mouse tomorrow. As she was the one that refused her normal feed on Monday which I found strange as iv never had a problem before with any feeds.
hutton2000 Posted - 17/05/2012 : 23:41:17
Will do.
Donnie Posted - 17/05/2012 : 23:39:25
Have you checked your female to make sure she has got all of the eggs out? You may want to seperate them now as well so they don't breed again as she is quite young. The recommended criteria for a breeding female are 3 years old, 3 ft long and 300 grams.
kev 5 Posted - 17/05/2012 : 23:28:32
good luck,let us know how the eggs look tomorrow
hutton2000 Posted - 17/05/2012 : 23:08:00
Thanks for the advice I'll go out tomorrow and get some moss stuff from my reptile store and fingers crossed all is well.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000