The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Could someone check my setup for eggs?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LarkaDawg Posted - 14/05/2012 : 20:28:18
Hiya, I have't been very active recently, sorry!

My snake's due to lay her eggs any day now, she shed Monday 7th. Just wanted to check a few things with you more-knowledgable guys .
First off, my setup for her lay-box inside the tank, its in the cool end which is roughly 76-80F and has some spaghum moss which I spray in the morning. It's a plastic box with a flimsy lid, so I weighed it down with rocks and put a poster over it for privacy lol.

Then, the incubator. I've had it running for a day or so to get it to the right temp, which is annoyingly 3C off -_- So its set at 30C but is actually 28.0-28.6C.

And these are the boxes I plan to use to put the eggs in while incubating, they've got holes drilled into the lid and sides.

Had a scare a few days ago, my mom had checked her and obviously left the door open (however when I went up to look, it was closed?). I went to check her and she had gone. No snake D:. After looking everywhere, I was checking under my bed when a stressball fell on me, looking up there she was. No idea how she got there!

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kev 5 Posted - 15/05/2012 : 19:45:27
add water to your vermiculite, mix it then then squeeze a handful at a time until no more water drips out. you will need a hygrometer with a probe in the egg box to keep an eye on the humidity as the vermiculite may dry out a bit later in the incubation period. if this happens add a bit more water the same temp as your incubation temp to the vermiculite, but not directly on the eggs.
i use cricket tubs to house my hatchlings individually.
LarkaDawg Posted - 15/05/2012 : 17:25:26
quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

yeah mate turn it down a degree. you don't use the water tray inside the bottom of the incubator. i use perlite which you can get from garden centres in the egg boxes. put 2 inches of perlite in the box then pour water in the box until all the perlite is submerged. leave it to soak for 15-20 mins then empty the water. then make some indentations in the perlite for your eggs to sit in so the bottom third of the bottom layer of eggs is covered. the perlite will keep the humidity in the 90's for the whole incubation period with no need to add any more water so long as the egg boxes are reasonably air tight.

I asked my mom to get perlite, but try only had vermiculite so she got that, same procedure?? And I'm getting some airtight boxes soon, do you think the boxes I have could be used as houses for the hatchlings when they hatch?
kev 5 Posted - 15/05/2012 : 10:35:07
yeah mate turn it down a degree. you don't use the water tray inside the bottom of the incubator. i use perlite which you can get from garden centres in the egg boxes. put 2 inches of perlite in the box then pour water in the box until all the perlite is submerged. leave it to soak for 15-20 mins then empty the water. then make some indentations in the perlite for your eggs to sit in so the bottom third of the bottom layer of eggs is covered. the perlite will keep the humidity in the 90's for the whole incubation period with no need to add any more water so long as the egg boxes are reasonably air tight.
LarkaDawg Posted - 14/05/2012 : 22:35:01
Thanks for the replies! The incubator has a water tray at the bottom, do the boxes still need to be airtight? And you're right Key, the temp fluxuates by about 1C in mine. So, it is better to turn it down a degree than risk the temp going over 28.5?

Thank you guys so much! I'm worried about everything, this is her first clutch :D
kev 5 Posted - 14/05/2012 : 21:08:36
you can't get a constant temp using these incubators
kev 5 Posted - 14/05/2012 : 21:06:45
the temperature inside the egg box you put inside the incubator will no be the same as the temp in the actual incubator. i use the same incubator and the temp will go up and down a degree or 2 all the time it's running. this doesn't matter, i just make sure the temp in my egg box doesn't go over 28.5
Doogle Posted - 14/05/2012 : 20:59:20
Hi, Nesting box looks great!

Incubator all looks too good but i incubate all mine about 27.5 asi find a slightly lower temp helps them develop a little more in the egg and i find they become better feeders! Hatch around 75 days!

Also you want air tight tubs for the eggs as air can make they dry out or make them go mouldy resulting in egg loss! Remember to open each tub once a week to allow the old air to escape and be replaced by new!

After that...... You will realize how long 75 days is as you start to wish your days away! LOL

Good Luck!
marc_sg Posted - 14/05/2012 : 20:42:51
lol she was trying to get ur attention lol. everything seems fine with the set up the only thing i wud add is a hydrometer. all i can say is gd luck really

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000