The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Egg update

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
QueenVic Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:21:40
My eggs are on day 52 (feels like days 500)
and all but two of them have sunken inwards a little.

I've covered them with damp kitchen roll just incase it is dehydration, but they haven't filled back out since yesterday afternoon.

assuming (and hoping) that they are just absorbing the yolk and will be ready to hatch in the next few days

One of them, one of the ones that hasn't dented inwards yet, is absolutely massive compared to the rest.
It is at least twice the size of the smallest egg.. almost the size of a golfball!

I was wondering how common twinning is?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kev 5 Posted - 04/06/2012 : 08:11:15
they are taking their time. got a clutch of 28 on 51 days now. seems to be taking forever so i can imagine how you feel
QueenVic Posted - 04/06/2012 : 02:07:04
Some one make my eggs hatch please!!

I'm going insane waiting! haha
QueenVic Posted - 02/06/2012 : 14:31:26
Cheers for that Rebekah.
I know a lot of people disagree with cutting, but ive been researching and found a lot of people do it weeks before they hatch and the eggs stay the same, they just incubate normally and come out when they are ready even with an opening in the egg.

That was my main concern, i did not want the snake to come out too early, or for the egg being open to kill the snake.

I'm going to give it a few days and then if nothing has happened im going to make an incision in the top egg.

Rebekah.Taylor Posted - 02/06/2012 : 09:13:43
I am new to this site but have bin breeding corns for many years and I always cut a slit on side at the top (don't cut down the middle of the egg) of mine 2 days after the first hatch and they then come out when they are ready this year my first hatched 3 weeks ago and the last just popped it's little head out yesterday the only thing I have noticed is this time with it being open for so long it was geting dry inside so if you do cut them do look in them every day just to check they aren't drying up inside and give a little spray with same tempeature water just under the flap where the snake is , I know people are going to say no don't do it but I have bread corns for 16 year and had no internet to help me and my first clutch 3 didn't make it out of there egg so I had a year to read books and every year after I have cut them and not lost a baby in the last 15 year so it can't be that bad of a thing I am doing so any way if it was me I woud cut the 1 you are most worried about and if it isn't ready you will see or if it's dead you will know witch is better than not knowing and you have enough on your mind at the minute without adding the worry of are they alive in there and if they are can they get I use small nail scissors it's safer cuz when they are ready they fill most of the egg and could cut the snake with a blade if you need advice you can ring me
kev 5 Posted - 02/06/2012 : 08:07:32
i was just checking, humidity can effect hatching but your humidity is fine so don't worry about that. hopefully something will happen for you soon
QueenVic Posted - 02/06/2012 : 00:41:10
It was at almost 100% before i had to move them..
seems to have dropped a bit since i moved but ive been adding more moisture and put a damp sheet of kitchen roll over the top of the eggs.

Why do you ask? does that effect how long they take to hatch?
kev 5 Posted - 01/06/2012 : 15:24:29
to be honest i've never had to do it. if it was me i'd wait a little bit longer. whats your humidity like?
QueenVic Posted - 01/06/2012 : 15:13:37
thats why im so worried.
the top two eggs have been dented for over 3 weeks, coming up to 4 probably now.
and the bottom ones have been dented for a week or two.
The golf ball sized egg only dented inwards about 4 or 5 days ago, and i candled it and could see the snake moving.

its really just the top ones that im worried about..
What would you do? just wait or try putting a tiny slit in the one thats been dented longest?

I wouldnt try open up the egg or anything, more just an slit with a scalpel, so that if it does want to come out it'd be easier..
kev 5 Posted - 01/06/2012 : 12:52:08
i think it can be between 3 and 14 days. but then the 18 eggs i've hatched this year didn't dent in at all.
QueenVic Posted - 01/06/2012 : 12:47:24
Yeah i think ill wait a while any way.

But does any one know what happens if you do cut a small slit into an egg that isnt ready to hatch?
will it make it come out prematurely, or would the snake wait inside the egg.

Ive read about 'windowing' thats all, and it seems that it doesnt actually effect when the snake hatches, it just lets you monitor whats going on inside the egg.
seems a bit pointless, and impatient, but i cant candle the egg to see if there is any movement or anything.

How long do everyone elses eggs dent in for usually?
Isoldael Posted - 01/06/2012 : 12:40:15
By "natural" I mean from which hatchlings naturally hatched. You know, without cutting eggs open or doing other things to make them hatch faster. As 90 days is not uncommon I definitely wouldn't cut them before that time.
Mnementh Posted - 01/06/2012 : 12:34:01
quote:
Originally posted by Isoldael

Personally I'm not a fan of cutting eggs open - I wouldn't do so until they've gone longer than the longest known "natural" incubation period.

That's like saying "how long is a piece of string" though , unless you knew the temps of those "natural" incubation periods :)
Isoldael Posted - 01/06/2012 : 12:05:37
Personally I'm not a fan of cutting eggs open - I wouldn't do so until they've gone longer than the longest known "natural" incubation period.
kev 5 Posted - 01/06/2012 : 12:03:18
still nothing vicki?
QueenVic Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:31:32
yeah and im incubating at 82-83F
I just wish i knew, cos i dont want to damage them if theyre not ready, but i dont want them to be dying because they cant get out.
Mnementh Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:23:53
How long have they gone now ?

Last year mine were pipping on exactly 60 days and all out by the 65th all 28 made it . This was at 81.3 degrees

I had a small clutch laid by another girl that went around 70 days at the same temp , I decided to cut the only viable egg open with a small pair of scissors , just a slit like they make themselves . Inside was a perfectly formed Blizzard , completely dead , just never made it out .

Posted at the same time , I see how long they have gone for now .
QueenVic Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:23:07
yeah thats something id be really worried about.
the egg i'd start with is really sunken in (has been for about 3 weeks now) and has a ridge running along the top around the dent.
I can candle that little area and see that there are still veins and there isn't a snake in that part, so thatd be where i'd do it.

Im just worried 'cos last year it took 61 days, and they are at the same temp as last time but they are on day 72/73.
I know it varies between clutches, but since they have been sunken in for 3 weeks, maybe longer, im starting to really worry.

I keep thinking perhaps they were meant to hatch when the eggs were really hard, but couldnt.

keep the advice coming!!
ashby_steve Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:00:04
main danger i think is hurting the snake inside, you'd need a pretty sharp scalpel
and new snake skin i would imagine isn't as tough as normal.
its up to you, same as any risk i suppose, it can go one of two ways.
QueenVic Posted - 31/05/2012 : 16:35:34
Ive pretty much lost all hope of them hatching now :(
I know I shouldnt, just have to be patient... but it feels like they're just not going to hatch.

I dont agree with cutting eggs really under any circumstance, but ive read about hatchlings losing their egg tooth prematurely and not being able to get out of the egg.
and the eggs were really hard for a couple of days til i noticed and fixed it..

I just dont know how you're meant to tell. I don't want them to be dying in the egg, but I dont want to cut them open when they're not ready to hatch.
not sure if i could even bring myself to cut open an egg :S

advice???

and has anyone cut them open?
does it kill them if they're not ready yet?
Isoldael Posted - 30/05/2012 : 13:29:10
No worries, it's not uncommon for eggs to take longer to hatch than 55 days. It's a long wait, but could take up to like 90!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000