The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Interspecies breeding...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
QueenVic Posted - 09/05/2012 : 18:25:13
I've heard about Corns being bread with other colubrids, the obvious being rat snakes.
I've read about crossing them with King snakes though I haven't seen much on here about it.

I was wondering, seen as they seem to be compatable with other colubrids, could they breed with Hog noses or milk snakes etc?

Just searched for a list of colubrids on google and I had no idea there were so many!!

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Georgina Posted - 12/05/2012 : 21:07:20
corns and hoggies need a different type of care, and i think that a true enthusiate that understands any species they are creating hybrids from 100 percent should be the people to do it. im not sure that just because some one has access to snake they should give it a try? i think it would take years of snake keeping to be (for want of a better word) qualified to create a hybrid and offer it the correct care. i once took part in a rabbit breeding program in which i had to have 2 years of experience within the show scene, and use champion show rabbits and they had to be in a pedigree line proven back through 5 generations. the project is still on going and expected to take another 5 years to complete.

a true understanding of genetics and all things snakes need to be a key factor in breeding a sucessful hybrid.
Sta~ple Posted - 12/05/2012 : 11:26:24
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

I dunno why people wanna keep makin all these hybrids. Granted its apparently exciting etc to discover a new hybrid.. But they wouldnt normally meet in the wild would they (geographically?? help me out here... im keek at geography)? So in the wild theres slim chance something like that will happen. Why not leave hognoses the way they are?

Some do, others don't. Lots of other pets are hybrids eg rabbits, chickens, dogs, just seems with reptiles it is more frowned upon. I think in some cases hybrids are nice long as they are labelled as such, in other cases I do think they are silly. I think it is risky to put kings and corns together, specially since most in my view turn out quite ugly, but then you do get some real beauties!

quote:
Originally posted by a33272

Someones got to try an make hoggies pretty I supose

Yes they do, :P I suppose if you could find a way to shut their mouths lol
QueenVic Posted - 12/05/2012 : 11:04:47
haha, they are funny looking. I think they're lovely though, but my OH wont let me have one. He agrees with a lot of people that they are too weird looking.
The weirder the better in my opinion!
Anyways, I'm going to the carboot sale see ya later guys.
Can get some right bargains on vivs and equipment at these things!
a33272 Posted - 12/05/2012 : 11:03:21
Someones got to try an make hoggies pretty I supose
QueenVic Posted - 12/05/2012 : 11:00:14
glad we're good.
It is pretty controversial I guess.

and since you own a corn and a hoggie, I can see why you'd be worried!
Mamma Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:58:23
You arent being stupid.
Debates are good for the soul. Forums are full of them anyway and species mixing/breeding is another one of the age old can of worms topics. Some of us are all for it, some against. xx
QueenVic Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:56:36
There has to be a first for everything... perhaps it is just very difficult.

Or perhaps it cannot be done.
That's what I'm wondering lol!

There are so many colubrids though that I'm sure there is some combination that hasn't been achieved yet that is possible.
a33272 Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:54:59
Ummmm no one thought yet that if this could be done it would of been done along time ago......
QueenVic Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:54:15
It was when you said "common sense to me." as if I was being stupid.

Sorry if I exploded a bit then, It's just I've had people making me out to be stupid on this forum before, a while ago, and it's not fair makes you not want to post any more, when all you've done is ask a question.
So yeah, sorry mamma, I guess I did get a bit too offended.

To be honest I had assumed that all colubrids were non-venomous, but I've been looking into it and found that quite a few of them are.
Infact, I've read that Boomslang's bites can actually kill a human in rare circumstances

Mamma Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:48:29
I dont see how I came across as aggressive and mean. Just stating my opinion on it all. As you lot have been. I just dont see why when people wanna experiment with hybrids they risk other snakes. Not aimed at you specifically. Aimed at snake breeders in general.
serena_08 Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:48:22
There is no harm in thinking about it, as long as you know that if you WERE to go ahead with it that you fully understand potential risks and complications!
I'm not opposed to hybrids, some are gorgeous and some are... well... not so gorgeous lol.
There are going to be some that work and some that don't, for all different reasons. It's all about research, and obviously trial and error.

Get the lab coat I'm coming over, lol.
QueenVic Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:47:55
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

has anyone tried corn x hoggie yet?

i have a lady hoggie.... you lend me one of your pretty top morph corns eeji and I will find out......
I promise to send it riiight back

*crosses fingers behind back*

And how can you be so nasty to me about it when you have said you would do it??
QueenVic Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:46:09
I give up trying to explain it to you.
I said I was thinking about doing it next year.

Do you really think that when I found out they were venomous I was going to do it anyway? Try and hear what I am saying and read through my other posts.

This is the very start of me trying to understand better how interspecies breeding works, and to be honest your negative opinions are no help at all, you may as well keep them to your self.

not wanting to sound too cheesy, but if you can't say anything nice, dont say anything at all.
You can explain the risks and put forward your opinion without sounding aggressive and down right mean.

I would listen to what anyone has to say on this forum, and I do because most people say it pleasantly and professionally.
Mamma Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:41:16
You said you were gonna do it next year....

Im not judging. Im just failing to see why someone would contemplate risking their corn getting bitten by a hognose when the outcome of the bite would be unknown. All for the sake of a "cool looking" hybrid.
QueenVic Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:39:23
Jeez.
I never said that I am definately going to do it, infact when I read they were venomous, I changed my idea to the smooth and rough green snakes.

I don't know why you are being funny with me, this thread is simply to explore the idea of interspecies breeding.

isn't the whole idea of this forum to learn things. Not to be judge for not knowing about a snake that I dont even own!
Mamma Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:35:23
If you dont know the outcome of a hoggie biting a corn I just dont see why you would wanna risk it. Common sense to me.
QueenVic Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:33:05
I've already said that I'm not going to do it until I have learned more about the genetics of all the snakes....

Very sorry, but I don't see a problem with thinking about doing it before I know everything.
I would never just throw them into the same tank, like I say, if you read my other posts I would be waiting til next year, which gives me a year to learn about each colubrid, if it is genetically possible and the risks involved etc.

Please don't judge me when you don't know me.
I check and research everything intensely before I do anything, that's why I posted this thread, to get more information.
Mamma Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:28:21
quote:
Originally posted by QueenVic

If we were to keep them as they should be in the wild there wouldn't be any of the amazing morphs we have these days. Even amels etc usually die out in the wild.
If they were to produce healthy hatchlings I don't see why we shouldn't give it a go..

I wasn't aware that Hognoses were venomous I've only seen them in the reptile shop and I just thought they were beautiful (in a strange way)

There are hundreds of colubrids however, so theoretically you could try it with any of them, just to see if it is possible.

I was particularly interested in Rough green snakes, and Smooth green snakes.
Simply because there isn't a green pigment in corns.. could be interesting.

Would be a huuuge project, and I wouldn't try doing it until I understand the genetics of it better, but I love the idea of creating a new hybrid.

Indigo snakes would be interesting too, they are the largest of the colubrid family, some of them reaching 9ft! a giant corn snake is an intriguing idea!

yeah but you are takin 2 diff kinds of snake and breeding them..... not 2 diff types of corn. Hognoses wont breed with non hognoses through choice.

Also if you didnt know they were venomous then no offense but you shouldnt even contemplate them breeding with corns until you learn more about the actual snake.
QueenVic Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:18:12
Aw that first picture is so cute!
I love it

Garter snakes are lovely too, I think they look like they're smiling lol

Those orange 'house' snakes are beautiful too, it's eyes are gorgeous!
serena_08 Posted - 12/05/2012 : 10:15:23
http://www.thamfriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829

Someone in America has/had a few hybrids, 4 of which are black rat snakes X corn :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000