The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Shriveled eggs what do I do?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nickyac Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:02:11
I recently found a batch of 21 eggs in the viv with my corn snake which I was told was a boy, clearly not! She lived with what I thought at the time was another boy so they are possible fertile. I think they are fertile as when shining a torch you can see red veins and they are white rather than yellow mostly. When I found them in the morning they were quite shriveled and I have incubated them for a couple of days now and they have not changed. I was wondering if they are alive as I've incubated them with a very high humidity and they do not seem to have taken in any water. I'm worried as I'd like to hatch the babies but I do not know if they are alive though I think most are fertile
I'll see if I can attach a picture later
Any advise gratefully received
Nicky
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a33272 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 22:08:36
quote:
Originally posted by Nickyac

Yes I do have them on vemiculite now but didnt for the first couple of days as it was a bit unexpected and I wasn't prepared. I'm trying the trick with the papertowel now so I'll wait and see how they do.
Sorry cant seem to get a picture up but very thanks for the tips

If they wernt on vermiculate that's proberly why they did what they did.'as gmac says cover them with spagnum moss for the duration. 1 it will keep them in a moist atmosphere an 2 it will prevent mold growing on them.
kev 5 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 21:43:07
hope it works out for you
Nickyac Posted - 09/05/2012 : 21:41:27
Yes I do have them on vemiculite now but didnt for the first couple of days as it was a bit unexpected and I wasn't prepared. I'm trying the trick with the papertowel now so I'll wait and see how they do.
Sorry cant seem to get a picture up but very thanks for the tips
Isoldael Posted - 09/05/2012 : 20:31:54
I've had great success this year with damp kitchen towels (I'd dampen first and THEN put them on the eggs to make sure they're not too moist). I had a terribly dented egg that recovered after about a week and a half.
gmac Posted - 09/05/2012 : 19:09:48
cover the eggs with damp moss and leave the moss in the incubator until they hatch, just dampen it every week or as required.
QueenVic Posted - 09/05/2012 : 18:18:21
If they are really really dehydrated you could try misting the eggs directly with water the same temp as the incubator. I'd do it from quite far away so it is only a fine mist that hits the shells and make sure it isn't cold water!

They might just take a while to fill back out, don't lose hope though!

good luck.
kev 5 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:27:34
i'd cover the eggs with a few sheets of kitchen towel then spray the kitchen towel with water thet is the same temp as your incubation temperature then leave for 24 hours. should work depending on the degree they're shriveled and that they are in fact fertile. i've done this to eggs this year and it worked.
cobweb251 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:21:05
placing moist kitchen towel on the top of them is a tip which is given quite often. but im sure a breeder will be along soon to help
a33272 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:19:51
There's not alot u can do to make then fill out, are they on vermiculate?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000