The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Just wondering...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
EmSquem Posted - 29/04/2012 : 19:03:55
Like with housing corns together, is there a notable risk of one eating the other when the male and female are put together??
Thanks guys :)
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
QueenVic Posted - 09/05/2012 : 18:05:02
Just looked at those pictures and nearly cried...

Definately definately no co-habbing of hatchlings EVER.

I hope everyone else who hasn't seen them looks, it'll make sure NO ONE does it!
*Shudders*

QueenVic Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:58:40
A33, I definately believe you all!

I just use Kathy and Bill's book as my corn snake bible lol, so i was surprised to believe it.

You guys are the proper experts though, and I wouldn't question what you tell me
kev 5 Posted - 08/05/2012 : 14:27:18
very interesting reading all the old posts. i seperate my hatchlings, just keep them in cricket tubs until there ready to leave
a33272 Posted - 08/05/2012 : 13:48:14
If you believe corns an corn hatchies arnt cannibalistic look here

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070&whichpage=10
QueenVic Posted - 08/05/2012 : 13:18:56
Ah I see.
I wouldn't keep them together anyway, for the other reasons I put, but it's good to know!

Kathy and Bill Love's book says that they show no signs of cannibalism, but they must if people have had experience of it!!
very scary thought
Mamma Posted - 08/05/2012 : 12:59:02
I doubt its got anything to do with smelling like mice. I guess at that young age its survival of the fittest and its just what happens sometimes
QueenVic Posted - 08/05/2012 : 12:53:37

That's madness!

I guess though if they smelled like mice then they would...
scary thought!

If a corn ate another corn would it survive?
(The one eating it.. not the one being eaten!!)
eeji Posted - 30/04/2012 : 20:55:50
I personally know of two people that have had very very close calls with snakes trying to eat each other while keeping them together

**edit, forgot to say they were all corns
smart bunny Posted - 30/04/2012 : 19:22:16
There have been posts on here when people have experienced cannibalism with young corns. Most likely after feeding when they still smell of food I believe. Not worth risking it in my opinion for the sake of a few quid for another setup :)
QueenVic Posted - 30/04/2012 : 16:28:23
Corns aren't known to be cannibalistic, but then again, who wants to risk it?

You probably want to keep hatchies seperate anyway, any health issues (god forbid) would be spread if they are housed together, and underage breeding is life threatening for the female.

It's better to just not risk it at all, use little tubs, they don't take up much space and they are better for checking who's poo's who's etc incase of health problems.

Same sex housing is alright, and I'm sure there is no chance of cannibalism in corns. It's hard enough to get them to eat mice when they hatch, let alone each other!!
Georgina Posted - 29/04/2012 : 21:54:15
they should be kept seperate from hatching. some people have same sex adult groups x
lupi lou Posted - 29/04/2012 : 21:52:28
think most hatchies are kept separate from hatching as they ae the most likley to eat each other whn they are little. don't think its as common when their older but like georgina said they will breed.
Cornynick27 Posted - 29/04/2012 : 21:46:47
What would be the recomended age to split them up if you raised them from hatchlings? Within the first year?
Georgina Posted - 29/04/2012 : 19:32:05
Not as adults, but they will breed. They should alway be put to together, never housed together x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000